Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
Hi all,

We picked up our new (to us) Swift Kon-tiki on Sunday. We love it, and although it is in very good nick, there are some issues. I have already fixed indicators and treated a tad of rust on the wiper arms. Inside is remarkably well-preserved, but I am concerned- next to the rear window, there's an area that feels a bit 'crunchy'. Not a big area, maybe 3-4 square inches. This is the inside, the outside is all totally solid. I know the seller said it had some damp repairs, and I'm wondering if this is left over? Should I be worried, get it checked out? The van seems to be extremely dry inside.

Cheers!

Alex.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hi all,

We picked up our new (to us) Swift Kon-tiki on Sunday. We love it, and although it is in very good nick, there are some issues. I have already fixed indicators and treated a tad of rust on the wiper arms. Inside is remarkably well-preserved, but I am concerned- next to the rear window, there's an area that feels a bit 'crunchy'. Not a big area, maybe 3-4 square inches. This is the inside, the outside is all totally solid. I know the seller said it had some damp repairs, and I'm wondering if this is left over? Should I be worried, get it checked out? The van seems to be extremely dry inside.

Cheers!

Alex.
Definitely get it checked out.

If it is damp get it repaired as soon as possible. It is easier, and cheaper, to repair before the area gets too big.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi all,

Cheers!

Alex.
Crunchy sounds better than spongy, maybe that was the damp and now it's dry(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
I've ordered a non-prong damp detector, so will give it a good sniff around when that arrives. that it's dry and there are no signs of anything amiss outside gives me hope it's not too serious. It's also been through a not nice winter sat outside by the South Coast, so hoping anything horrible will have showed up.

OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
So it was a prong-type damp detector, although in the pics it didn't show the prongs at all!

I've been in and had a bit of a prod around, and the crunchy area is slightly higher, at about 11% v 6-9% for the other areas, but still not high enough to worry me. The only area with high damp was right under the rear window (ie prongs right up to the rubber) which was at 50%, but that was the same for ALL the windows, so down to the time of day!
I'm reassured that we're ok until the hab check- will get that done at the end of the summer.

Cheers all!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I read somewhere that you will get a high reading touching the rubbers,,,BUSBY,,

OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
So there's another area I've found which is spongy. Not big, about 8" square or so, in the corner, next to the crunchy bit. Should get it checked, I guess. If it is damp, any ideas on cost to fix?

Cheers!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a photo will make it easier to answer. dry and crunchy is a sign of old damp dried out.

OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
Thanks. I will grab a pic tomorrow, but you can't really see anything it just looks like wall. The crunchy area has some small gaps and black dust. I think it probably is old dried damp, and not too bothered about it. The spongy bit is more of a concern, as I think that it's still damp?

Cheers all!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
try and take a photo of the general area for context and another close up to the damp

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The black dust is probably black mould that has dried out. You need to get it cleaned up as it can be hazardous to your health especially if you are sleeping near it. Be careful with it as it's tiny little spours that travel in the air. So don't just sweep it up as all you do is spread it around. You will probably find that it's in the timber in the wall. This is one of the reasons Swift changed to the all new plastic wood so that repairs are far easier as they don't have to replace timbers. If you start doing any work in the area you should wear a face mask.
  • Respiratory Distress and/or Breathing Difficulties
  • Unrestrained Coughing and/or Sneezing (sometimes coughing up blood)
  • Irritation to the Mucous Membranes
  • Kidney or Bladder Discomfort(s)
  • Impaired Concentration Levels (sometimes memory loss)
  • Excessive Fatigue, Headaches or Tiredness
  • Nausea, Vomiting and/or Diarrhea
  • Immune System Suppression
  • Redness and Itching to Eyes, Mouth and Nose
I would have thought that if it had been repaired then they would have replaced / repaired any of the damaged panels. Whats the point otherwise.

OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
So I've had a good look, prod etc now, and it doesn't look great.

The rear nearside corner to the side is spongy, and this continues under the nearside window, and up the far side and over the top. Damp meter readings at 50%.

On the offside, there is some sponginess under the hab window, but far less. Damp meter readings 30% to 50%.

At the rear, everything is dry, but it's crunchy with the black dust. Damp meter readings low.

Outside the rear, there is evidence of previous repair.

Any thoughts about size of the job, what I can do and costs if I get it done v do it myself?

We're off today anyway to enjoy her. I've duct taped over the areas where the black dust is coming through.

Attachments

• IMG_2329.JPG
    IMG_2329.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2330.JPG
    IMG_2330.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2331.JPG
    IMG_2331.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2332.JPG
    IMG_2332.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2333.JPG
    IMG_2333.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2334.JPG
    IMG_2334.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2335.JPG
    IMG_2335.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2336.JPG
    IMG_2336.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2337.JPG
    IMG_2337.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2338.JPG
    IMG_2338.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2339.JPG
    IMG_2339.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2340.JPG
    IMG_2340.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2341.JPG
    IMG_2341.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 72

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
First thing is to find out how far it goes which involves removing the interior panels and having a look at the wood behind. If it's damp above the window it has to be coming in from the roof somewhere and running down behind the wall covering. This can be from roof openings and bad sealing round the openings or if it has corner rails like you get on a caravan it could be that joint. I would have thought the cost of repairs would be expensive when you think they charge something like £60 an hour.

First thing they will want to do is remove the inner panels and see how far the water has travelled and what damage has been done to the timber in the walls. This may also give them a clue as to where it is coming in.

I wonder if the damage to the rear panel is anything to do with repairing the timber within the rear wall. It could also be the cause of the repair over the window.

Last edited:
OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
So I think the culprit is the windows. I think I'd like to reaseal them to prevent any more ingress, or isolate any other sources. I was thinking of starting with some Captain Tolley's, then some IDL non-drying sealant. I hope that the damp areas would dry out then, and we can take our time in replacing them? Thoughts welcome.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
This will give you an idea of what you are up against.

Right near the end 8:00 you can see them putting the windows in using the rubber seal. Mostly held in by tacks and then they have a plastic trim round the inside. By the look of it they have a special hand tool for fitting that trim. Don't see how you are going to get any sealant in as it will just be squeezed out as soon as you let the rubber go. The whole idea of this type of window is it's very easy to fit. Only part that needs sealing is the bit where the top of the opening window fastens to the body work. All the rest of the rubber is then protected by the overlapping window. The rubber part is just a finish round the wood. The shape of the rubber also has a part which presses upto the window.

Img-2337 looks like some one has been there before you and tried sealing the window where it fits to the bodywork. This is above the window opening which would suggest the water is coming in higher up.

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you know the seller I'd take it back and ask for a refund

OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
Sadly it was an eBay purchase, so chance of a refund. It was pretty cheap and the rest is pretty good, so I'm happy to fix it.

Shall I put on some Captain Tolley, is that stuff any good? Can I seal the outside of the overlapping window direct to the body?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
All the outside joints including the windows should be sealed with non setting mastic, never used captain tolley's but don't think it's what you need, if you want to stabilise some dodgy woodwork without removing it all you could soak it with an epoxy resin, I did a rotten window cill on the hose years ago and it was still good when we moved years later.

The important bit is getting the outside properly watertight.

Martin

OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
Thanks Martin. I've done some more research into Captain Tolley's, and it looks like it's really good for hairline cracks, not what I've got!

Qfour- that's really helpful, thanks. Annoying that they focus on cheap build, rather than ease of maintenance. They must know they are going to leak at some point!

I'll get some non-setting mastic/ sealant strips, and see how we get on. I'm not too worried about the inside at the moment, but do need to get her watertight! I like the idea of using epoxy on the wood, that would save alot of grief.

What a great forum!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back