Damp reader

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Yotanka, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Yotanka

Yotanka Read Only Funster

Aldi have got a digital moisture meter coming up on this Thursday deals. Please Funsters is this a good one and would it be ok when we look at MH's.

Please some tips on where we should check (corners, bathroom) and what readings you would expect.

Good advice needed

2. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

I'd just use your nose and eyes. If you can smell damp musty odour inside the van then start hunting for problems and decide if you or someone else is going to fix it.

3. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Don't just use your eyes damp can be present months before its visible

A damp metre is good but also feel for soft areas etc , staining

You can get a damp metre from ebay for £7.50 which is good enough for the job I've had mine 3 years now

4. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Certainly the cheaper meters can give you an indication of damp but my current experience has shown me that the expensive protimeter gives an accurate reading.
    Because of my current problems with my 11 month old MH I have used 2 cheap meters, both of them have indicated damp but not accurately.
    One them reports a maximum of 38%, the other slightly lower.
    The dealer using a protimeter has shown a maximum of 50% while my mobile engineer using his protimeter has shown 55%.
    so if you want complete accuracy then you'll have to shell out serious cash otherwise a cheapo will do.