Damp Meters

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by oldflemo, Jan 28, 2014.

1. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

As a newbie now going about selecting a used MH to purchase I intend to carry out my own checks to ensure there is no dampness above 15% present. I presently have a damp meter which is only colour coded so I intend to purchase one which gives actual %s .
    Do the funsters have any preference for which is a good meter?
    Look forward to your kind advice.
    Ian

2. thraxugrut

thraxugrut Read Only Funster

I'm probably less qualified to speak on this topic than anyone, however I ended up purchasing a CEM Non Contact Moisture Meter - DT-128

I liked the idea of non destructive testing.

My understanding is experience helps with using it, use it in the middle of a wall where it shouldn't be damp to get a reading (and other places) before measuring likely candidate locations.

Anyhow. best of luck with you search I'll be interested in reading the responses and what you end up doing.

Cheers,
    Mark

3. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Protimeter mini about £135

4. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Knowing where to test is just as important as by the time you can see any signs its too late

• Like Like x 1
  5. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

I have a Protimeter(an expensive £150 one 6 years ago) but it does not give %s only colour coded
    Does the mini provide %s?

6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

you need to check in any joints like between wall and ceiling and floor. also round wheel arches lockers skylights and windows. checking the centre of a wall will give the lowest reading as furthest from trouble spots

ive got a couple of meters, one of which came from aldi/lidl and is as accurate as the more expensive one

this one was recommended recently for accuracy due to 4 pins
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161144679643?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

7. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

Yes I can appreciate that too but unless you detect the problem by regular checking how can you repair and eradicate it timeously?

8. camocam1

Yes 6% - 80% but it is a twin pin probe so will leave 2 small holes think protimeter survey master is probably the best but believe its quite complicate and cost about £300

• Like Like x 1
  9. camocam1

Also need to remember that readings can be effected by proximity of pipes / rubber seals etc
    Try it against your arm and will probably get a reading of about 20%
    I check round all windows as well as round the habitation door and the area round locker doors and wheel arches (that's where I found a problem) more often than other areas but check all joints between walls and roof and round any area where there is an external fitment
    I do not use under the van as believe that due to external weather conditions you will always get high readings but I have a prod about with a blunt screwdriver checking for soft spots

• Like Like x 1
  10. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

I can recomend the CEM DT128. The pin type ones wont work on plasticised wallboard unless you puncture the surface.

11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

don't be put off by the lights rather than a percentage . All reading you get are a matter of comparing like with like, different materials have different resistance it is the resistance that a meter reads. Changes occur because of natural changes in humidity. Hence you compare a known dryer area (usually a mid point between doors and windows) with those areas likely to be prone to damp incursion, (lower edges of windows around doors etc.) Use the meter as a comparator rather than bother with specific percentages.

• Like Like x 1
  12. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

I fully accept what you say,however when dealing with "salesmen" I think you might have on occasions to be direct and simplistic(No disrespect intended for the worthies on here) -so I expect to be able to more readily challenge sales nonsense if it can be readily displayed.

13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

some salesmen and dealerships get pretty arsy if you do your own damp tests on their vans. i was visiting one big named dealership in hampshire and saw and heard a salesman telling a customer to f**k off because he had found damp in a van on sale

• Like Like x 1
  14. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

That is exactly what I would do in that event sharing and parting with possibly a similar if not stronger term of endearment !:Doh::Doh:

15. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

Intereresting, I'm currently in the market for a new van and have been taking my non invasive meter with me.
    I figure that as no damage is caused, they have no reason to object !

Meter was purchased from ebay and appears to work very well.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-N..._Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item2ecd4cb0bd

16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Very important to check if buying privately. I was looking around for one some years ago and found damp areas were very common, possibly why they were selling them.

17. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

Can I ask our celebrated Leader Jim if there is a reason why the use of a damp meter is not mentioned as advice in his excellent book on buying a motorhome.

I would very much respect and value his views on this matter.

Regards

Ian

18. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

anything over 18% is considered damp under that is classed as general condensation/perspiration/respiration

• Like Like x 1
  19. marcus153

marcus153

The damp testers are actually electrical conductivity testers so other things can set them off. Metal frames etc - so be aware not to discount a sound motorhome.

Damp is generally caused by water penetration (leak) or most commonly in motorhomes and caravans by condensation. warm inside and cold outside…

ventilation is the key and the best cure/prevention.

I studied this extensively with my 1880's victorian home. (not designed for double glazing and central heating)

I was quoted thousands of pounds to have damp proof cause put in but in the end sorted the whole problem by having a window left slightly open!!!

20. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

I understand all you say and empathise about your home (ours was built 173 yrs.ago).

Buying a MH is such a big investment and I've worked hard to get our filthy lucre so I'm not inclined to part with it unless I am absolutely convinced by demonstration and insurance backed documentation that there is no detectable dampness present at the time of purchase.
    I do understand in detail the conditions required for the formation of both interstitial and surface condensation and hopefully would not get dampness and condensation confused.
    Thanks for your comments
    Ian

• Like Like x 1