Damp Meters (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Just moved this from "This Week I Bought..." Bought it because sometimes can't get a reading from the Protimeter. Now confused!! :confused::confused::confused:

CEM DT 128 non invasive Moisture meter. Think there may be a problem though.... testing the plastered house wall, get a reading of 22%, which is "dry" according to their table. Using non invasive Protimeter Aquant in the same place, reading is 13.2%. Kamasa pin type shows 12%. Can't check the van at the moment - it's in having some work done. Any ideas anybody? Thanks.
Chris

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The pin meter is reading surface conductivity .. so the reading may well be lower that the non invasive which is looking deeper into the wall..

the difference between the two non invasive models will be down to calibration.. and quality of meter.. you are comparing a reactively cheap meter .. the CEM DT (which I also have ) with the more expensive Aquant meter.

don't get too hung up on different reading between different damp meters.. there will always be differences.. but rather look at different readings with the same meter.. ie .. do your own comparisons with known dry wood, damp wood and wet wood .. and use the readings as a guide. .. it's not an exact science

Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Scotjimland is correct, the DT125 is a very good meter for the price, compare readings from the same meter rather than between meters

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Pin-type meters measure the resistance of the substance between the pins. Wet areas conduct electricity and dry areas don't. A real cheapskate (such as I) would push two sewing pins through a piece of firm plastic at around 20mm apart. Connect pins to multimeter set to Ohms then test soaking wet wood, note reading, test dry wood, note reading. When using it to test for damp you will be able to compare the readings with your test readings. Works for me.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Had a Pin type one for donky`s years. They are a very useful comparison tool. You try on a Known Dry section. (mine goes click click) and then use all over, when you get a wet patch it "screams" at you! Carried it out to Florida, when we bought the Winnie; So dry I Thought is was not functioning!! BTW I test mine by putting across my skin. Easy Peasy.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Had a Pin type one for donky`s years. They are a very useful comparison tool. You try on a Known Dry section. (mine goes click click) and then use all over, when you get a wet patch it "screams" at you! Carried it out to Florida, when we bought the Winnie; So dry I Thought is was not functioning!! BTW I test mine by putting across my skin. Easy Peasy.

Pete
Don't you find you therefore leave loads of holes in the walls?
Cheers
Saltings

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back