Damp Meter

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bailey, Oct 21, 2013.

1. bailey

bailey

Hi with all the talk about dampness I intent to purchase a meter my question is what type and make £30.00 and under also what are the acceptable readings

Thanks. Bill

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

You can get basic ones for around £10 which are just three light versions - for these, one light is fine, two a warning and three oh hell.

There are also digital which are around £30. Moisture is required for strength in wood - acceptable amount is around 20% depending on the wood. Over 40% and you have issues.

3. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

I bought a cheapie digital version off ebay and , for me, it works fine. I get an average reading of 16% in winter and 12% in the summer. I just use these two points for calibration and anything other than this would warrant investigation. I even use the same points around vents, windows etc. for testing, log readings and make direct comparisons.

Item No 300901180613

jack

• Like Like x 1
  4. Terry

Terry Funster

Was in Aldi the other day and they some digital ones for 12 quid looked nice bit of kit
    Terry

5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I originally bought one of these a few years back

http://www.maplin.co.uk/moisture-meter-220803
    Seems to work well and when I had my proffesional had check done I compared readings with the engineers and almost the same.. However you can get similar cheaper off ebay.
    They have prongs that need to penetrate the surface.

I have just received one of these... No prongs..
    Took a while to come from China but arrived ok..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-N...726?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7496eb56

6. bailey

bailey

Thanks for that il get one from Maplins does it give readings in % also I'm getting different comments about what's acceptable anything from 15 to 20 % is that what you think

Thanks. Bill

7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Yes.. The maplins pic does not show it lit up but there is a scale in the lcd display and gives percentage.. My view is that you are looking for anything abnormal, testing on a damp cold day is different from a dry sunny day..
    But if you test and get steady reading everywhere and then find a spot that a lot higher it need investigating. My first had check on a year old van (done in December) gave readings of 10-14%... However I had 30% near the heki light and 25% on a side wall.. Van went back to factory for re-sealing. !!!
    So £20-£30 spent on a meter for self checking is a good investment..

8. bailey

bailey

Thanks for the advise went to Maplins got there meter nice bit of kit , checked round the van for damp was between 10 and 15% at all points and I will keep the record. To check the meter I went to my local Dealer and checked it against there model on a used van it was bang on no difference in the readings, so once again thanks for your advise. You can get cable extensions for it that way you can leave the meter on the work top that way you can read the meter easily

Bill.