damp meter

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by paulj, Jul 20, 2012.

1. paulj

paulj Funster

can anyone recommend a reasonably priced damp meter that i can buy to do random checks on my motorhome to identify ant problems before they get to big

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

3. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

i think you can buy any of them they all show damp

4. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

I got one at B & Q for £40 before i went looking at motorhomes, worth the money so that you can check them yourself.

5. Kay

Kay Read Only Funster

I have a plasplug one from years ago, they have now long gone, although the sign directing to the factory is still on the roundabout in Burton!

They work ,however they will pick up a moisture level that is acceptable in dealers terms, their meters show the percentage of damp, plasplug type just bleep in varying pitches, even with condensation, better than nothing though and any readings that concern you can be checked out.

I wouldn't mind one of the better quality ones with finer 'needles' and a % reading but expect they cost a fair bit more than the diy ones.

Can't help thinking though they may not pick up a problem when most needed, perhaps others know more.

6. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

B & Q £40 - had needles and % reading.

7. Incamania

Incamania Funster

Hi
    I bought mine from Screw Fix - its the meter display type with colour % scales. seems to work OK. You can view the Screw Fix catalogue on line.
    Hope this helps:thumb:
    Brian

8. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

A supplementary question:

What sort of percentage range would be acceptable when testing the vans at the dealers?

Thanks

9. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

I always have one rule when it comes to damp in a caravan or motorhome

IF THE METER CLICKS AND SHOWS ANY SIGN OF DAMP WALK AWAY
    your not going to get any dealer to pay the costs of fixing it
    it will get worse
    you will loose money

so rule one
    if it shows any sign of any damp walk away there is a damp free unit further down the line
    so let some one else waste their money not yours

almost every motorhome and caravan that has a side wall to roof fixing will need the seals replacing every three to five years
    most buy a unit run it and never have this vital work done
    so any motorhome over 3 years old can have a problem just ticking away
    its cost to do is between £350 - £500 to have side wall seals redone
    i bet a pound to a penny that not many on here have had this work done to their motor if it is over 3 years old
    interesting to see if i am right

hands up people who has had this work done ? i did as soon i a got my RV in 2009 willll be redone in 2014

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  10. Gooney

Gooney Funster

10% is acceptable, 15% requires investigation, above 15% naughty

11. heronpike

heronpike Read Only Funster

You could always try www.dampmeterhq.com for a guide and an easy selection to choose from. :Smile:

12. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

Meter readings will vary and depend on many different factors:

There will always be some damp in a motor home due to time of year, weather conditions at the time and condensation.

Cheap meters will not be truly accurate and depend on the quality of their calibration - that doesn't mean that they are useless.

So, what are the rules that I apply personally?

I have a cheap meter and use it over a period of time to compare readings. I select key points, take and log readings and them compare them over time. My readings of the same point vary from <10% in the summer to 18% - 20% in the winter. I responded some time ago to this type of post and the only time I have ever been concerned is when the meter returned a reading of 25% just below a window - eventually this turned out to be careless use of a power washer next to a sliding window. No washer, reading returned to what I class as normal for my van ans my meter.

Would I use my meter to select a new motor home - debatable; but at least I would have some indication of pending problems.

13. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Our MH is now into its tenth year - it was the subject of a factory recall because of a defective roof seal just after we bought it new, so we had it done at the factory under warranty. Then, not long afterwards it went again and we had it done under an extended warranty which saved us a sum in the region of £3000 so it more than paid for itself.

Last year during a hab check more damp was detected and the mobile fitter who does our van dismantled and re-sealed a section of the roof join for £100.

Next week is its annual hab check and I once again I await the results with trepidation. No obvious signs or smells but the roof space can hide a lot of evils. If it's gone again I'm going to have to bite the bullet and have a big job done on it - forking out for damp repairs after nearly ten years, having only spent £100 so far doesn't seem unreasonable. I'm not into upgrading my MH every three years.

It's an endless battle with the older types of roof/wall join.