damp meter recommendations please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scammellmanswife, Mar 7, 2013.

1. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

Happily flashkim has found his leak :Smile: a now got it sorted. That got me thinking i should check my van. Can anyone recommend a damp meter or whatever it is i need that wont break the bank please:thumb:

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Ours is from Aldi but they only have them in once a year. It was about a tenner Nd has a rotating sensor head and a hold button for the display.

There are lots on ebay for a similar price but I can't vouch for their effectiveness.

Whatever you buy though, make sure there is a data 'hold' on the device of a remote sensor. You will have to put the meter in places where you won't be able to see the screen.

3. Microchip

Microchip Funster

4. Jamwitt

Jamwitt Funster Life Member

With the damp metre do just touch the surface or do you push the probes in :Eeek:

5. bailey

bailey

Your nose is the best I have had a caravan for 30 years and then a motor home for the last 9 years I find it ridiculous when you consider the money you spend that we put up with the build quality of some motor homes

Bill

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

I bought [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moisture-Detector-Brennenstuhl-black-yellow/dp/B003CSNV2Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1362687804&sr=1-1"]this one[/ame], not that cheap but has a hold button and wood and solid settings. Impressive but yet to try it in the motorhome. And to answer another question, yes you push the probes into the surface but they barely show.

7. yokeljohn

yokeljohn Read Only Funster

damp meter and water ingress

I recently bought a damp meter from amazon, it was a RAPITEST and cost around £19 delivered.-`I have just finished rebuilding the rear floor and inside wall timbers and panels of my 2004 ci carioca mh due to exstensive water ingress, it was all down to overall shoddy manufacturing in Italy, namely, insufficient, or lack of underseal onthe underneath of the wooden floor, also the use of ordainary steel scews and clips causing sever rusting penetrating into the wood main frame and crossmembers causing more damsge. I maintain that for t he damaged caused it was leaking from new and was doomed the day it left the factory. I bought the meter to check for the unlikely chance of more ingress,sadly i have found another leak coming in from the roof above the ceiling inside the wardrobe caused by rusting corroding screws coming down through the roofedge beading " deja vous" I am stripping the ceiling exposing rotten damp wood, the white faced ply ceiling was only damaged in for just acouple of inches , but a layer of hardboard was manufactured between the aliminum roof and the poly insulation,the hardboard soaked the water up like blotting paper. Yes the RAPITEST does work and is, in my case money well spent.
    yokel "GUTTED" john .:cry::cry::cry: `

8. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

Ditto - usually get readings between 8% summer to 18% in the winter. Tried it on a piece of wood stored in the garage and it read 35%. Crude calibration but as first test it works for me. I insert the probes well into to surface being tested; not too bothered with the holes as i reuse the sam position every time and they are barely visible unless you look for them. This also allows me to monitor each test area and compare results from last time.

Jack

9. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

Thankyou all for suggestions i am surprised how cheap these gadgets are. :thumb: I will be getting one soon and hopefully not discovering any nasty:Eeek: damp patches :pray: