Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I purchaded a tp link mifi thing months ago with a 3 12g sim card, popped it in and away it went.. Happy surfing, got into france today and bloody thing wont connect to the Internet.. Fkin tech

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We had the same issue. With the mifi and your device's wifi turned on, click on this: Link Removed

At the control panel, type in admin as the user name and admin as the password.

Click on "Connect" when you have the option.

You might explore and find that there are settings that suggest that it would automatically connet if you click the correct box; it didn't work for me so I had to do it each time I wanted to reconnect.

P.s. If the IP address does not work for you, search for the address that you need for your device.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Also, in my experience, some parts of France ( like the UK ) don't have 3G or 4G coverage. So there might be nothing wrong with the unit or how you've set it up, you just might not be getting a signal.

We found a lot of areas in Normandy in May where this was the case, and my initial thought was that I'd done something wrong!

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Voyager 1 is a space probe launched by NASA on September 5, 1977. Part of the Voyager program to study the outer Solar System, Voyager 1 launched 16 days after its twin, Voyager 2. Having operated for 38 years, 11 months and 19 days, the spacecraft still communicates with the Deep Space Network to receive routine commands and return data. At a distance of 135 AU (2.02×1010 km) from the Sun as of June 2016,[3] it is the farthest spacecraft from Earth .
Yet we still can't get a decent wifi signal around our small planet!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Cant say as I don't have a control panel on the tablet or on the mini for an up addressvtp be input

Click on the address that I provided. It will open an brower into your control panel or type the address into your browser while connected to your mifi.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
APN Settings.... MAYBE..
You often need to change these to suit the network you are trying to connect to...
Had this as a common problem when we first went to Morocco, once we found out what it was and how to do it we were soon sorted.
It's also something i did a few weeks ago for a fellow funster while at york...

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Do these 3 SIM cards have to be registered with 3 or something ? I have never registered mine as they have worked by just taking out the packet and sticking it in the mifi (I did this as it was what I was told to do)..I don't have a 3 phone contract or anything else with 3 and it seems like I am unable to register as their website awful

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Where are the pan settings ... on the mifi or the item I am connecting it to..android tablet in my case

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It should be on your screen, when you open the Internet, with this
Broken Link Removed You should get a dashboard thingy where you can alter stuff, I really don't know anymore than you but I had the same problem last year and I got on here and someone told me what to put, it's just a couple of words.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Where are the pan settings ... on the mifi or the item I am connecting it to..android tablet in my case
All it was on mine now I think back, was to change vodaphone to three, on the screen seems daft but that's all it is.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

APN is in the MIFI... You need to look within all the advance settings.. I have no knowledge on the TP Link.
Do a search on here for APN, thats how i found the info last time.. If I find the link i will post it..

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Mine wouldn't work last week as I hadn't enabld roaming. 3's online customer help lady was, to her credit, both knowledgeable and helpful and I got it sorted.

Only frustrating thing is of course you need the Internet to be able to access the online help! Luckily I had my works iPhone with me. The lady did say 3 had been having some technical difficulties with roaming.

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Would just like to say a big thanks to all for the info given, I have been using my phone to access the net but its costing a fortune with EE and stressing me out but stayed up late lastnight and downloaded a app from the play store which allowed me to access the dashboard on the mifi, i did what was advised by typingbin admin for user and password then changed the settings from orange to 3internet and then bingo straightnon the net.. so big thanks to all who helped

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Do these 3 SIM cards have to be registered with 3 or something ? I have never registered mine as they have worked by just taking out the packet and sticking it in the mifi (I did this as it was what I was told to do)..I don't have a 3 phone contract or anything else with 3 and it seems like I am unable to register as their website awful
The first person in the 3 shop told me the 3 card has to be registered on the UK network before you can use it abroad, the second person told me it did not! I registered them anyway to be sure.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Some funsters have said that they activated their '3' sims for the first time when abroad without any issues.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have asked this before,and have had no satisfactory answer.

Do 3 Allow Tethering on PAYGO?. I know EE/T-Mobile/Orange did not at one time which was why I changed to GiffGaff.

It`s how we go online with the i-pads.

Pete

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Went to France in April, mifi just worked, didn't have to do anything, its a 4G one.

Deleted User
My experience is solely of PAYG data only sim cards used in 2 different mifi devices.

It is only necessary to register the sim with 3 if you intend to top up online.

The sim can be activated for the first time when abroad but it has always been necessary to do a manual search for networks, they have never connected automatically.

The interface to the Huawei site has been different on the 2 devices, one was a 3G and now using a 4G but trial and error brings up 'network settings' eventually'

Profile management must be set to 3UK and APN is 3internet which are the default settings for the sim.

On my current E5573 mifi this found under 'Advanced Settings' in the Settings menu.

I think it is also necessary to set 'Mobile Connection' to manual, these are my current settings that are working.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
We found a lot of areas in Normandy in May where this was the case, and my initial thought was that I'd done something wrong!
OPPS, i had a big argurement with 3,as my mifi did not work in northern france, worked fine when i changed the sim card for a 3 one from argos.

but by that time we were in the middle of france,i even refused to pay the bill and got a £5 refund for my trouble.

now, i hear that you had the same problem, i do feel a bit silly:(:(

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Never registered either of mine, its the only thing have of 3 ... just goes to show that customer services can contradict one another

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We had the same issue. With the mifi and your device's wifi turned on, click on this: Link Removed

At the control panel, type in admin as the user name and admin as the password.

Click on "Connect" when you have the option.

You might explore and find that there are settings that suggest that it would automatically connet if you click the correct box; it didn't work for me so I had to do it each time I wanted to reconnect.

P.s. If the IP address does not work for you, search for the address that you need for your device.
Thanks been through all that a dozen times at least. Keeps coming up profile is invalid. The one thing I noticed is when the girl in the shop put a sim in the same huawei log in page came up and said profile not valid but then took sim back out and put it in phone and activated it by typing in a 4number code from sim. Put it back in mifi and it worked so maybe it's something like that that's needed. I'm hoping my 2g I bought yesterday will last me til mum arrives on the 18th and she brings a replacement 3 sim . Until then I'm not convinced the card went faulty between UK and France. Time will tell. Thx for help.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks been through all that a dozen times at least. Keeps coming up profile is invalid. The one thing I noticed is when the girl in the shop put a sim in the same huawei log in page came up and said profile not valid but then took sim back out and put it in phone and activated it by typing in a 4number code from sim. Put it back in mifi and it worked so maybe it's something like that that's needed. I'm hoping my 2g I bought yesterday will last me til mum arrives on the 18th and she brings a replacement 3 sim . Until then I'm not convinced the card went faulty between UK and France. Time will tell. Thx for help.

Good luck with it. We had excellent service with ours in England and on previous trips and then nothing on our last trip to France until we solved it with 3's customer service help via Skype in McDonald's. It was a pain though, having to enable roaming every time we turned it on and sometimes during the session as the mifi would not remember the roaming permission was ticked.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back