Damage to my Motorhome in Storage (2 Viewers)

Malden

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
While my motorhome was in a CASSOA Gold site, someone ripped one of my headlamp protector covers (£45 per pair) off my motorhome which broke into several pieces, storage company not interested, I am paying £450 per year, thought it would have been more secure. I think the damage must have been caused by someone who has a vehicle storage on the same site. Any views/advice?

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
So someone pulled the rhd to lhd sticker off? To save what about a quid?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
if you mean one of the stick on things Badknee refers to you should have pulled it off your self the moment you returned to the UK

If something more significant, please tell

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
While my motorhome was in a CASSOA Gold site, someone ripped one of my headlamp deflectors glass covers (£45 per pair) off my motorhome which broke into several pieces, storage company not interested, I am paying £450 per year, thought it would have been more secure. I think the damage must have been caused by someone who has a vehicle storage on the same site. Any views/advice?

A cunning and swift bit of editing !!
===============================
While my motorhome was in a CASSOA Gold site, someone ripped one of my headlamp deflectors off my motorhome which broke into several pieces, storage company not interested, I am paying £450 per year, thought it would have been more secure. I think the damage must have been caused by someone who has a vehicle storage on the same site. Any views/advice?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
same still applies to me, you should have removed them yourself at the port of arrival, they did you a favour, saved you driving illegally when you pulled out next

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
if you mean one of the stick on things Badknee refers to you should have pulled it off your self the moment you returned to the UK

If something more significant, please tell
I leave mine on permanently, why tear them off?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
same still applies to me, you should have removed them yourself at the port of arrival, they did you a favour, saved you driving illegally when you pulled out next
It is not illegal. Mine passes the MOT with them on

OP
OP
Malden

Malden

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
There were no stickers on the deflectors. The deflectors glass were put on to protect the headlights from stone chips etc.. The stickers were going to be put on the headlights when we go abroad in the future.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
All they do is prevent the kick up to the kerb side to prevent dazzle to oncoming traffic. Both my vans left and right hand drive had deflectors fitted once and left on. Why keep replacing them? I can see the road perfectly well. As I said it is NOT an MOT failure if they are fitted correctly

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
There were no stickers on the deflectors. The deflectors glass were put on to protect the headlights from stone chips etc.. The stickers were going to be put on the headlights when we go abroad in the future.

too many ers and ors here already

but I now reckon you had headlight protectors or protecters fitted and at £45 / pair I can see why you are miffed

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our Moho has stick on deflectors and received an advisory. Lens protection covers are something totally different and as has been said at that price I too would be upset.
So if someone un bolts a mirror or a cycle rack would the site owners still not be bothered I wonder and if so I then wonder why you keep it there at such a high cost? Don't they have CCTV?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My storage is bristling with cameras I pay £399
I doubt a fellow user did the damage, why would they? more likely a tresspasser. Have you read your storage agreement?

OP
OP
Malden

Malden

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Our Moho has stick on deflectors and received an advisory. Lens protection covers are something totally different and as has been said at that price I too would be upset.
So if someone un bolts a mirror or a cycle rack would the site owners still not be bothered I wonder and if so I then wonder why you keep it there at such a high cost? Don't they have CCTV?
Yes there have CCTV on the perimeter. It certainly won't be there next year, unfortunately we still have six months storage left.

OP
OP
Malden

Malden

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
My storage is bristling with cameras I pay £399
I doubt a fellow user did the damage, why would they? more likely a tresspasser. Have you read your storage agreement?
yes but in the small print doesn't look like they are liable. Only if the van gets stolen.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I've seen prices for storage up to 600 a year, and if it's secure storage you don't expect anything to happen. It may be worth asking your insurers to clarify what the gold level should cover.
Perhaps the owner us liable as without the gold, he could lose a lot of business.maybe he should have more cameras up.
What would happen if more damage had been done to the van?

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I pay £840 a year storage , unfortunately it doesn't guarantee your van won't have problems.
I know my vans body work like the back of my hand and a few months ago I discovered 2 tiny dents on it and I knew it was the guy next to me he had been doing work on his van and must of knocked it with something he was carrying into his van , his hab door opposite mine. I couldn't prove it but I knew it was him. He sold his van very soon after that, so for me life got better if he had stayed then .... ....
Trouble is you pay for storage but not for the vetting of people storing there. Life has taught me that you get kind considerate people and then there are
are-----s
It all about proof and evidence .

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We had a caravan stored a few years ago got talking to the site owner and they had problems a few years before with someone who nicked the rear light cluster off another caravan. They couldn't prove anything so asked the person they suspected to leave (it was the last in a series of suspicious events).We pay for storage but if we were in a similar position I think would put it down to experience.Where could you go to park in a place where someone constantly watches just your motorhome?. I would ask the storage place if there was a space near the cctv/ under a light etc but sadly there will always be the risk of this sort of dammage.

David

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
All they do is prevent the kick up to the kerb side to prevent dazzle to oncoming traffic. Both my vans left and right hand drive had deflectors fitted once and left on. Why keep replacing them? I can see the road perfectly well. As I said it is NOT an MOT failure if they are fitted correctly
I'm intrigued why do manufactures not have just one standard for both right and LH headlights if what you say is correct. Your version sounds a bit suspect to me.........:(

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I've seen prices for storage up to 600 a year, and if it's secure storage you don't expect anything to happen. It may be worth asking your insurers to clarify what the gold level should cover.
Perhaps the owner us liable as without the gold, he could lose a lot of business.maybe he should have more cameras up.
What would happen if more damage had been done to the van?

I pay £500 a year and the site is an hour from my house, why, because it is the only site I can find to park it on.

If the OP is in the same boat and tries to force the site to recompense him they will possibly refuse him next year, leaving him with nowhere to park

I have had the porch light cover pulled off and thrown behind the van and one of the hubcaps stolen, and the site owner is not interested.

Will I be arguing the point, no, for the same reasons stated above.

Hymie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back