Daftest thing a warden ever said to you (1 Viewer)

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Pulls onto new england bay site:
Warden:
"Some of the pitches up there are cordoned off for re seeding, so you can only use the front row, and you have to park head on"
Us:
thats fine.

So we couldnt get level, so we parked sideways on

Up comes the warden and says you have to park head on.
We asked why.
"Because you will spoil the view of those behind", says he.
"But there is no one behind, nor will there be because all those pitches are cordoned off for reseeding" I said.
"Doesnt matter" he says and then comes out with the classic "its the rules"
:roflmto::roflmto:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
For a time i was staying on a site and travelling to work on the scooter

...Hi can I book for the week and probably next week?

...yes sir ...blah...blah

...after explaining to them what I was doing .......i have a request...could I arrive very early and park out of the way as you will be closed when I finish work, you could put pitch no under wipers (this was in low season and plenty of pitches) I could then pitch up when I arrive.

...sorry sir you can not do that :Eeek:

...as a special one off (i had to pay for the night before) we will let you on at 9am (i started work at 6am) and you can pitch up early (late). :Angry::Angry: So i had no option but to arrive at 9am

....sorry sir you will have to wait till we book out these members that arrived after me at the desk. I am already 3hrs late....look sir, we do not have to let you on as you are not supposed to arrive till 12.

...excuse me said I.....I paid for last night and would just like my key as I am over 3hrs late starting....sorry sir......i appealed to all in the queue and they all agreed I should be first. The disgruntled warden gave me the key....I stated that I had paid extra for the next week as well and did not expect the same problems then.

Guess what.....I had the same problem, due to the fact that the asst warden was on duty :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

A letter to HQ had no effect :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For a time i was staying on a site and travelling to work on the scooter

Hi Steve

you don't say if this was CC or CCC site .. both clubs state that your not allowed to use their sites as a work base.. as do many private sites..

I know at least one private site that won't let you stay long term or book a season pitch without seeing a recent utility bill or other proof that you are not a 'full timer' ..

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Having read through this thread, I am going to compose a strongly worded letter to both clubs (CC and C&CC), since I have never been fed any of the hilarious lines you guys get.
This is patently unfair and I will demand the same treatment as everyone else so that I have a positive contribution for this thread.

Worst we have had was:- "if you are going to leave your van and wife here for a week, we will site you close to our van so that she can come and knock our door if she has any problems". (Lauder campsite) or "we will let you know as soon as someone leaves from the front row so that you can move from under the trees and use your sat dish" (Culzean) or :- "leave me your mobile number and I will phone if the river rises"!!!!! (near Ripon)

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
About 3 or 4 years ago I pre booked a standard pitch at the C&CC site at Kelvedon Hatch.
It was for two nights, mid week, when the ground was dry/hard, in lovely summer weather.
The lady site manager was booking us in when her Husband/partner, who had his back to us, said "IF IT HAD BEEN WET, I WOULDN'T HAVE LET YOU ON THE SITE WITH THAT".
He was referring to our motorhome!
Well that's a nice friendly welcome, I replied. I think my wife said Charming, or something along those lines, anyway, he obviously realised that he ought NOT to have greeted us in that way, because he then tried to back track and explain that when it was wet, motorhomes had caused damage to the grass .
The point was, it was during a mini heatwave, so it wasn't wet, or likely to be according to the weather reports. So why did he even mention it?

Whilst the majority of wardens/site managers are fine, since we have been camping since the 1960's, we have, on occasion, had unfriendly experiences. I could write a book about them, mainly the C&CC club, but also some private sites.
Surprisingly, we have not had any problems with the CC, but reading what others have found, that may be because we haven't been members for that long.

We camp for enjoyment, so I have never engaged in arguing, it spoils your break, and I always try to approach in a friendly manner. From the examples on this and similar threads, there obviously is a real issue with Customer Care at some campsites.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not all bad

Just to redress the balance ...

Arrived at CC site , mid July, RV + trailer , not booked in..

Reception was busy, two or three people working behind the desk.. all looked harassed, lots of people trying to check in .. or out.

With trepidation I asked politely if there was any available pitches, the lady asked what size of outfit so I pointed out the window where George was parked..

Expecting to be told no, sorry we are fully booked, she said , wait a minute , I'll speak with the head warden to see if we can squeeze you in.. wait in your camper van :roflmto:

I waited for a bit then the head man came over.. pleasantly surprised, he said, follow me, I've got a nice pitch for you.. it turned out they had moved one of the wardens caravans for us , a large pitch with room for the RV and trailer..

Perhaps it was because this is a privately owned site and the staff haven't been indoctrinated by the Club .. who knows, but it was one of our best experiences with ANY site ..

The name of this site.. ... North Ledaig CC Site, near Oban

highly recommended, especially if you have an RV
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=115843103054280433491.00045c1ab0c50bf957c9d&ll=56.477662,-5.343132&spn=0.101249,0.338173&t=h&z=12&iwloc=00045cdb03dc06c721c0f

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
The name of this site.. ... Ledaig CC Site, near Oban

...............without any shadow of a doubt, one of the most scenic and most friendly/helpfull sites I've ever been to:thumb: Think I've been about 5 times now. A fair old drag from Cheshire, but WELL worth it.:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Just to redress the balance ...

Arrived at CC site , mid July, RV + trailer , not booked in..

Reception was busy, two or three people working behind the desk.. all looked harassed, lots of people trying to check in .. or out.

With trepidation I asked politely if there was any available pitches, the lady asked what size of outfit so I pointed out the window where George was parked..

Expecting to be told no, sorry we are fully booked, she said , wait a minute , I'll speak with the head warden to see if we can squeeze you in.. wait in your camper van :roflmto:

I waited for a bit then the head man came over.. pleasantly surprised, he said, follow me, I've got a nice pitch for you.. it turned out they had moved one of the wardens caravans for us , a large pitch with room for the RV and trailer..

Perhaps it was because this is a privately owned site and the staff haven't been indoctrinated by the Club .. who knows, but it was one of our best experiences with ANY site ..

The name of this site.. ... North Ledaig CC Site, near Oban

highly recommended, especially if you have an RV

Maybe we should have an alternate thread for GOOD experiences on camp sites?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
...............without any shadow of a doubt, one of the most scenic and most friendly/helpfull sites I've ever been to:thumb: Think I've been about 5 times now. A fair old drag from Cheshire, but WELL worth it.:thumb:

It is indeed a great site, if a tad expensive, but worth every penny.. few sites can rival it for location
The scenic route via Loch Lomond is to say the least a bit hair raising with a wide rig.. :Eeek:
bet your looking forward to taking the 5er .. :roflmto:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
It is indeed a great site, if a tad expensive, but worth every penny.. few sites can rival it for location
The scenic route via Loch Lomond is to say the least a bit hair raising with a wide rig.. :Eeek:
bet your looking forward to taking the 5er .. :roflmto:

NO FLIPPIN' WAAAAAY!:Eeek::ROFLMAO:
Never again! It's the "Rest & be Thankfull" every time for me from now on!:thumb:

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Was booked into Brown Moor CC site for an early in the season holiday. The site was three quarters empty. I saw a pitch on the way up to the office and I pulled onto it. There was nobody else around for several pitches and nobody queueing at the office to book in. Wife went on ahead to book in. She came out of the office waving her arms about and looking flustered. When I went up the warden started dishing out a bo**ocking of unreasonable proportions for pulling onto a pitch before booking in. Here were some of the points she made:

"I have to see your outfit to make sure its OK"
(I said you can see it out the window, but that cut no ice)

"Other members might have seen that pitch on their drive round and wanted that one"
(I said the site is nearly empty and there is no one booking in to claim the pitch.I explained if the site was busy we wouldnt do such a thing!. This cut no ice")

Then the famous............."its the rules".

OK I said, I dont want a row after driving for 5 hours to get here. Ill go and get the van, then you can look at it, then Ill tell you the pitch number we want. Then Ill drive the van back to the pitch (again)..............if thats what will make you happy.
What do you think she said??????..................................No, it will be OK this time!!!!!!!:Eeek:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Must be getting it wrong - like Olley and Supertractorman we've never had a problem :Smile:

Graham

Its our attitude Graham, just short of horizontal :ROFLMAO:

I booked into Warwick race course late on the Saturday afternoon some years back, warden says "we close at eight" we got there at 7.50, gates shut, warden comes over grumbling, I smile and apologise profusely, (no sarcasm) Now he was in the wrong for shutting early, and maybe in the wrong job, but what do I know of what sort of day he's had? Me? I have had a great day, always do when we are away in the van.

He shows us to our pitch and says come over to the office in the morning. I am relaxed because I didn't have a row with him, the sun is shining, and there's a cold cider waiting. ::bigsmile:

Olley

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Let's face it - some of them are just plain "power p&**%d"!!!! :winky:

We've met quite a few over the years mostly in CC&C sites.

1) Oxford CC&C - when we turned up without booking - sucking in of teeth - "you're very lucky, you've got the last pitch" Then the site full sign went up - about 10pm we looked around and counted 10 empty pitches just near us!!! :whatthe:

2) A CC&C site somewhere near Birmingham - I rang the site directly to book as we were driving down the M6 and said we'd be there in a couple of hours. On arrival at about 5pm the wardens were most put out as we'd arrived while they were having their tea!!! We got a right earful!:Angry:

3) Oxford again - very wet weather - summer 2007 - we were directed on to a soggy grassy pitch by the relief wardens - another van was also directed on next to us - when they left the day after the wardens went ballistic about the mess - why put heavy vans on soggy pitches if you want to keep it pristine???? The site was very quiet and had plenty of areas where heavy vans could be placed but no - the warden was insistent about where we went!! :Doh:

4) Again Oxford ( it's probably the C&CC site we use most!) I went into the office to pick up a leaflet - 3 wardens stood outside having a fag - 1 in the office doing nothing much - phone ringing and ringing - eventually went to answerphone! Couldn't believe the laziness!!! :Angry::Angry:

5) Morvich C&C site - we were in out VW Trident and friends were in their small panel van - arrived about 5pm as the private site we were planning on staying on was closed.

Us:- Good afternoon.
Warden :- Have you booked?
Us:- No
Warden:- Are you Members?
Us:- No . . . . We're int he friendly club.

He told us there was only 1 pitch free. We asked him if we could share as we were only 2 small vans and even put together were much smaller that a 4 X 4 , caravan and awning!

Warden:- Can't do that it's against the rules! Doh!!!:Doh::Doh:

He put us on the overflow car park with hook up and charged us £15 a night each! This was about 2002!!! :Angry:

The issue of having to park nose out and centre to peg is very annoying when you have a European van. The hab door is always on the wrong side for the layout of the pitches! We're always encroaching on someone else's grass!
Anyway I like to park cockeyed!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Let's face it - some of them are just plain "power p&**%d"!!!! :winky:

We've met quite a few over the years mostly in CC&C sites.

1) Oxford CC&C - when we turned up without booking - sucking in of teeth - "you're very lucky, you've got the last pitch" Then the site full sign went up - about 10pm we looked around and counted 10 empty pitches just near us!!! :whatthe:

2) A CC&C site somewhere near Birmingham - I rang the site directly to book as we were driving down the M6 and said we'd be there in a couple of hours. On arrival at about 5pm the wardens were most put out as we'd arrived while they were having their tea!!! We got a right earful!:Angry:

3) Oxford again - very wet weather - summer 2007 - we were directed on to a soggy grassy pitch by the relief wardens - another van was also directed on next to us - when they left, the day after, the wardens went ballistic about the mess - why put heavy vans on soggy pitches if you want to keep it pristine???? The site was very quiet and had plenty of areas where heavy vans could be placed but no - the warden was insistent about where we went!! :Doh:

4) Again Oxford ( it's probably the C&CC site we use most!) I went into the office to pick up a leaflet - 3 wardens stood outside having a fag - 1 in the office doing nothing much - phone ringing and ringing - eventually went to answerphone! Couldn't believe the laziness!!! :Angry::Angry:

5) Morvich C&C site - we were in our VW Trident and friends were in their small panel van - arrived about 5pm as the private site we were planning on staying on was closed.

Us:- Good afternoon.
Warden :- Have you booked?
Us:- No
Warden:- Are you Members?
Us:- No . . . . (our friend under her breath) We're in the friendly club.

He told us there was only 1 pitch free. We asked him if we could share as we were only 2 small vans and even put together were much smaller that a 4 X 4 , caravan and awning!

Warden:- Can't do that it's against the rules! Doh!!!:Doh::Doh:

He put us on the overflow car park with hook up and charged us £15 a night each! This was about 2002!!! :Angry:

The issue of having to park nose out and centre to peg is very annoying when you have a European van. The hab door is always on the wrong side for the layout of the pitches! We're always encroaching on someone else's grass!
Anyway I like to park cockeyed!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Sorry! Didn't mean to put that on twice!!

Been having problems with Fun today - very slow - but I think it's sorted now!!!:Smile::Smile:

graham_bell

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
We were on a CC site site near Baldock (name escapes me). We pulled up and I went in to "check-in". The Warden was friendly in a "Sgt Major" type way.
"If you'd like to walk around the site and pick a pitch" The warden says. Hmm, I wasn't expecting that..We'd NEVER walked around a site previously to pick a pitch?!
"We're only a small site it won't take long. We don't like people driving round and round, it ruins the grass.."
I agreed, not wanting to cause a scene (it was flipping freezing though) I went back to the car (I'm a tugger). Oh no, the Mrs wasn't happy, she didn't have a coat. "Damage the grass? Damage the grass? it's freezing out there I don't have a coat" Oh blimey. This wasn't good. I went in and told the Warden. He re-iterated it was only a small site. What was I supposed to do now? Go back and tell my better half she had to get out. No way!
So, I flatly refused, well actually I begged for mercy, offered my soul etc. He eventually let me drive around, after making me feel like a naughty 5 year old. By now my bloods boiling :Angry: and could I reverse, could I 'eck..
After struggling for 10 mins I parked up and went to get the barrier key.

"Bit of trouble parking there Sir?" Sarcastic g!t, I thought.
"Oh you saw me did you?" :cry: I didn't recall seeing him anywhere?
"Yes I watched you on camera, we have them everywhere"

I'll admit to being a little nervous when I used the shower block :Eeek: - well, you never know do you???

Graham

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
CC Rally

Got told off on a CC Rally in Druridge Bay.

We were booked for 2 weeks holiday.

No Generator / Awning out. Near to home so took the Clio for trips out.

We ran out or leccy at 8.30 one night so, crime of all crimes,, we started up the engine to charge the leisure battery.

Next morning our crime was pointed out....... No Generators After 6pm.......

If we ran out of leccy again we were welcome to bring our battery down to the main marquee where we could charge using the clubs genny......... Anyone here want to disconnect their M/H leisure battery to charge it when you have a perfectly good engine already attached.

Of course the tuggers were running around in their 4x4's until late at night.:shout::swear:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We was booked into the C&CC site at Glencoe for 3 nights last year, first night my wife didnt feel well:cry: we decided to go home early next day, early start long old shlap all the way to Colchester, see the warden to be "let out" as the gate was locked, "you cant go now I have'nt unlocked the gate" well we insisted and eventualy she relentet and unlocked the gate grumbling all the way and parting shot from her was "your not getting refund":Sad:
when we get home took her to hospital and found she had had a heart attack, on the mend now.:Smile:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Right. Now Im not trying to be a smart A**e but I just dont get it. I simply dont understand why anyone would want to stay on these club sites where its all so regimented. Please can some one tell me the appeal?

If you havent discovered CL's yet then Ive prepared some examples of what you can expect and how much they cost. Probably half the cost of a campsite and often more space, nicer view and very quiet. Not everyones cup of tea perhaps but certainly mine.

CL on Hayling Island, I think £6 per night with EHU

Link Removed

CL at Beer in Devon. £10 per night (expensive for us)

Link Removed

CL at Beer our nearest Neighbor. No posts to park next to here.

Link Removed

CL at Salcombe, Devon. Had the place to ourselves. About £8 with EHU

Link Removed

All these places are run by this chap, cash only. A quid!

Link Removed

Can you tell I have nothing better to do this morning?

Cheers, Keep up the FUN!

Barry

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Another advantage of CLs CSs is you dont get the long standing club members who think they know it all. BTW in that last picture is that Daniel Criag in the middle?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Another advantage of CLs CSs is you dont get the long standing club members who think they know it all. BTW in that last picture is that Daniel Criag in the middle?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No. Its me doing a deal with the CL owner for a couple of gallons of dodgy scrumpy!

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Right. Now Im not trying to be a smart A**e but I just dont get it. I simply dont understand why anyone would want to stay on these club sites where its all so regimented. Please can some one tell me the appeal?[/FONT

For us it's usually convenience of location - certainly where Oxford is concerned - short walk to the Park and Ride and bus into town where we meet up with our Grandaughter.

If we're staying somewhere for a few nights we need a site with public transport nearby and this is more difficult with CL / CS's. Otherwise we prefer the quieter CL/CS's.:Smile:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
For us it's usually convenience of location - certainly where Oxford is concerned - short walk to the Park and Ride and bus into town where we meet up with our Grandaughter.

If we're staying somewhere for a few nights we need a site with public transport nearby and this is more difficult with CL / CS's. Otherwise we prefer the quieter CL/CS's.:Smile:

Ah. Yes you have a point there. I guess some of these campsites provide easy access to towns or public transport. Not many CL's do and they are often in the middle of nowhere. This however is part of the appeal to me. I like to be as remote as possible. Having the bike is a big advantage I suppose but it was a bit of a challenge over Dec/Jan. We actually fell of it in the snow on the CL at Salcombe just behind the van (see pic above). We were so wrapped up we never felt a thing. No doubt we wouldnt be allowed on some of these club sites your all talking about. Would probably get banned for driving a noisy scooter or playing my guitar too loud!!!

Oct 13, 2008
Funster No
Exp
Hardstandings are better when it's wet, also main sites without toilets used to be as cheap as some CL's, for a single person, I'm not sure that's the case these days though, there seem to be very few sites without toilets now :Sad:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hardstandings are better when it's wet, also main sites without toilets used to be as cheap as some CL's, for a single person, I'm not sure that's the case these days though, there seem to be very few sites without toilets now :Sad:

Good point about the hard standing. I think we were lucky over winter as everywhere was frozen solid. I priced a couple of club sites and they were over £20 I seem to remember or thereabouts. Im going to sound tightfisted now but im not paying that sort of money when all I need is a bit of water and somewhere to dump my waste. It could be that I come for two nights and dont need either! What are you paying for? Convenience I guess?

Sorry off topic. I would be interested to know what people are prepared to pay so may start a new thread

Enjoyed reading this one though. Some really funny stuff!

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Hi Barryd
Take your point about CLs. We do use them, if staying for just a few nights (we are booked into CLs for all the bank hol weekends this year, and will use others ad hoc when the whim for a weekend away grabs us::bigsmile:).
However, when we are on "proper holiday" i.e. a week or several, we tend to use the CC sites for the facilities on offer. Our van (autotrail starspirit) has a fairly small washroom, which would give a shower, but at a bit of a push, so we use CC sites (for this and other facilities such as laundry, drying rooms etc).
I have to emphasise that we have only had two "run ins" with wardens in over 8 years of using CC sites - this is far outweighed by the good, utterly helpful and genuinly good hearted wardens which we usually encounter.
We have been helped out of a few spots (especially when we were novices) by site wardens who acted over and above the call of duty::bigsmile:
Im sure others on here who have had run ins will agree with what Im saying:Smile:

ClareE

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie as of January 2009!
Skulking buzzards

:Eeek:we still can't believe this quote from a warden when staying in a site in the Peak District last spring

Us to the warden: 'what wildlife do you get round here? There was a lot of rustling in the undergrowth by our van last night' (we were thinking maybe badgers)

warden 'ah yes. that'll be the buzzards'

Buzzards?! in the undergrowth? At night??!

Brilliant. We'll get David Attenborough on the case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back