Dad's motorcycle combination towing a caravan in Devon .. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
While sifting through dad's old family photos, I found this one of us on holiday, it was taken around 1954 ..

On the back it says.. Typical hedges of Devon..

The motorcycle was a single pot Norton 500cc .

He built the 'caravan' at home in the back garden..very simple affair.. .. it had two fold down canvas hammock beds for me and my sister.. mum and dad slept on the floor on a double air bed.. The rear wall opened up to form a roof, it had two legs, with side screens to form a kitchen/ washing room..

My mum looks as if she is posing side saddle .. gauntlets on the roof of the sidecar.. you can just make out the pilots goggles on her forehead..

perhaps one of the first motorcycle combinations towing a caravan.. ?

IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
While sifting through dad's old family photos, I found this one of us on holiday, it was taken around 1954 ..

He built the 'caravan' at home in the back garden..very simple affair.. .. it had two fold down canvas hammock beds for me and my sister.. mum and dad slept on the floor on a double air bed.. The rear wall opened up to form a roof, it had two legs, with side screens to form a kitchen/ washing room..

My mum looks as if she is posing side saddle .. gauntlets on the roof of the sidecar.. you can just make out the pilots goggles on her forehead..

View attachment 103703
Lovely memories ... Did it put you off tugging for years? Or did you do the same when grown up?

Just remembered my FIL took wife ,wife's sister and young baby in a side car on holiday in the early 1950s! No health and safety then as they had just lived through a war!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
errr.. never put me off.. :LOL:

yes.. had several caravans .. between motorhomes :) but never had a motorcycle.. one of my regrets..
Oops just read my post again !!! You know what I meant!!;) Caravans!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Great photos Jim. One of my earliest travel recollections was going to New Brighton through the old Mersey tunnel in a double Watsonian sidecar accompanied by my mother and cousin. It was piloted by my uncle with my aunt riding pillion. No crash helmets, just an old army greatcoat for protection from the elements. I sometimes wonder how we managed to survive these jaunts unscathed.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No crash helmets, just an old army greatcoat for protection from the elements. I sometimes wonder how we managed to survive these jaunts unscathed.

yip.. remember my mum and dad all kitted out with ex army great coats, pilots goggles and flying helmets, and long armed gauntlets.. .. he also had a tank commanders leather waistcoat.. awesome..

I think at one time he had an ex WD motorcycle.. still painted in MOD green .. there was a huge Army and Navy store in Glasgow..

In the 60s I loved going to it and buying all sorts of stuff.. Japanese Navy Admiral's jackets etc .. :LOL:.. all the rage then

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's fantastic.

Thanks for posting Jim(y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i still have a teardrop caravan i bought it to tow behind my trike years ago. it was built to go behind a m,cycle and side car and did two tors of europe . not my bike and side car. it is vinyl covered to match the busmar side car it paired up with.
i also took it around morocco and europe a few times behind my vw van
also behind my mazda bongo .
great bit of kit . it was made in 81 . dont think i shall ever sell it its great.
great pics jim .

Attachments

• img027.jpg
    img027.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 85
  • img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 83
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Great photos Jim. One of my earliest travel recollections was going to New Brighton through the old Mersey tunnel in a double Watsonian sidecar accompanied by my mother and cousin. It was piloted by my uncle with my aunt riding pillion. No crash helmets, just an old army greatcoat for protection from the elements. I sometimes wonder how we managed to survive these jaunts unscathed.

SURVIVERS Cause we were dragged up properly,,,no namby pamby interfereing do gooders about in those days...BUSBY...

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

View attachment 103703

You wouldn't be able to stop in the road to take pictures like that now..!:)

Love old photos....(y)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
yip.. remember my mum and dad all kitted out with ex army great coats, pilots goggles and helmets, and long armed gauntlets.. .. he also had a tank commanders leather waistcoat.. awesome..

I think at one time he had an ex WD motorcycle.. still painted in MOD green .. there was a huge Army and Navy store in Glasgow..

In the 60s I loved going to it and buying all sorts of stuff.. Japanese Navy Admiral's jackets etc .. :LOL:.. all the rage then

Haha. I remember those leather waistcoats. All (older) motorcyclists wore them when I was a kid. What were those strange waterproof coats made from, I seem to remember them being a kahki colour and almost reached the floor, they were made from a strange rubbery material and all motorcyclist wore them in those days.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Haha. I remember those leather waistcoats. All (older) motorcyclists wore them when I was a kid. What were those strange waterproof coats made from, I seem to remember them being a kahki colour and almost reached the floor, they were made from a strange rubbery material and all motorcyclist wore them in those days.
later they were known as black prince coats or something . i have one here my dad used one on his m,bike

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes thats it for the leather jerkins .
i was on about the rubbery ones dav mentioned .
those leather ones are still available on ebay.
coalmen used to wear them alot i recall.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I think this is, or very like, the one he had..

$_57.JPG

They are ex-Army WW2, and were issued to artillery troops and drivers, but of coarse, everyone got their sticky hands on them. I remember our coalman having one in the 1950's.

If you stood near to the East Lancashire Road in Salford on a Sunday back then, you could see fleets of bike combinations heading off to Southport for the day. Rider wearing 'Corker' helmet, ex Army dispatch riders long coat, and leather gauntlets, with clogs as well!! Wife on the back wearing a head scarf, and clutching a giant handbag, whilst the chair was stuffed full of exited kids. (y)(y)

corker.jpg

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
So the strange waterproof coats could have been ex dispatch riders coats ?.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
fantastic.. I want one !
You can still get them, Jim.............(y) Condition is the thing though. Thousands were hung up behind outside loo doors in Salford.......:D

Mk 8 goggles, or ex WW2 fighter pilots goggles, could be bought for about six shillings.

Clothing-DLewis-1961-15449.jpg

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The reason I asked about the dispatch riders coat was that years ago I bought a hearse and sold it to a guy that had a large brood of kids. He had a motorcycle combo which I took as part ex. He arrived on his combo wearing one of these coats.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I bought one of these from The Famous Army Stores in 1966, for the princely sum of £6.00.....

the raft.JPG

Came complete with two paddles......

paddles.jpg

And a 'pump'........

pump.jpeg

Bet they are a fortune now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries