DAB radio (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
A quick tip for anyone who wants a portable radio for their van and doesn't use mains hookup - I've just bought a Roberts Sound 80 secondhand on Ebay, it sounds great but the main reason for buying was because it runs on 12 volt. As standard it comes with one of those ugly transformer plugs for a normal domestic 240 volt socket, but for a motorhome it's great as the output from that is 12v DC - most of the others I looked at were 9 volt.

I had an old lead from a rechargeable camping torch that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket that fits the radio with a minor adaption - I had to open up the hole in the middle of the plug fractionally with 2.5mm drill bit. You can buy those leads cheaply on Ebay. I've got a cigarette lighter type accessory socket in the van in a good location, the radio works just fine with that.

One of these days I'll get around to fitting a better radio in the cab and wiring speakers in somewhere in the back, but in the meantime this will do nicely.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Will a DAB Radio work in France ?
Supposed to but I've never had any reception apart from UK channels around Calais, they are a bit slow at rolling it out. Other people I know get reception in Germany not been there since I've had a DAB in the van. Also France uses a different channel band, car stereos have both bands don't think domestic ones have, well both of ours don't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Later ones which receive both DAB & DAB+ should. UK is on DAB, France is on DAB+:rolleyes:

Yes I have a DAB+ and picked up quite a few stations in Germany but not many in France, I believe more should be coming online in the future ,

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use a cheapy DAB portable, bought from Wilco I think. It runs on 6v but we just use one of those universal thingys, no prob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
My Shortwave Radio (American Halicrafter 110vdc!) still works! But I can`t get spare Valves so when it stops that`s the end of a 40+ year friendship!

I have one of the Wind up, Emergency FM Med: wave jobs for Tornado warnings kept in the Yank It "sqwaks" if there is a warning out. Its very good too.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back