DAB Module ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Not really a motorhome question but one some one on here may be able to help with .

The radio reception on our 2013 Peugeot Boxer based PVC is not great. This van it seems has a reputation for this problem. Im asking here cos I would bet its been encountered by one of you and advice may be forthcoming..

Talking to a chap today who was rabbiting on about a DAB radio module. He said it gets plugged into a 12V supply and the radio in the van connects to this via I think bluetooth ? Not sure really..

Example. We have a 2013 Toyota Rav4. I can play the music from my Iphone with no wires connecting. It does it by the magic (to me) of bluetooth. But to listen to the same music when in the van a wire has to be plugged in. I think (not sure) its a USB ? Whatever it is it lives in the glovebox of the van. A wee socket thing.

If it is possible to connect a DAB to the standard HIFI via either bluetooth or the USB in the glovebox can anyone recommend one ?

I have checked all the aerial connections and I realise the whole head unit could be changed but I would much rather use what is already there and improve upon it if possible.

Thanks !

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I have a Pure Highway in the car, which receives DAB and transmits to the car radio either on FM or by the headphone socket to the car's aux input. The wired connection is better because there is no conflict with FM stations as you travel.

I don't think they make mine any more but there are other adapters here: Broken Link Removed

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not really a direct answer to your question but I think it's relevant.

We had the same FM issue and decided to swap out the radio head unit for a DAB one and add a windscreen mounted DAB antenna.

Our reception now is by no means perfect but is massively better than it was.

I'm not familiar with the DAB module you mentioned but as far as I know DAB reception always needs some sort of antenna so if this unit doesn't have one then I'd suggest that needs robe questioned.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
one of the most useless pieces of junk standard to all the fiat/peugeot base vehicles is the radio aerial hidden inside the door mirror. if you struggle to get fm with it, then you will struggle more with DAB

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Not really a direct answer to your question but I think it's relevant.

We had the same FM issue and decided to swap out the radio head unit for a DAB one and add a windscreen mounted DAB antenna.

Our reception now is by no means perfect but is massively better than it was.

I'm not familiar with the DAB module you mentioned but as far as I know DAB reception always needs some sort of antenna so if this unit doesn't have one then I'd suggest that needs robe questioned.

Nick as the head unit is quite a large part of the dash and I actually quite like the look of it I'm reluctant to change it .

I think the DAB device the fella was talking about today was a stand alone tuner type thing that acts as a receiver and we somehow transfer what its receiving to the existing head unit. Trouble was the fella was rabbiting away and I didnt understand fully what he was saying. He did explain twice but my brain freezes when it comes to these things .

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
one of the most useless pieces of junk standard to all the fiat/peugeot base vehicles is the radio aerial hidden inside the door mirror. if you struggle to get fm with it, then you will struggle more with DAB

The ariel on our van is mounted up on the roof above the interior mirror. The van as mentioned above is a Panel van conversion.. It is a swine to get at !!

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have a Pure Highway in the car, which receives DAB and transmits to the car radio either on FM or by the headphone socket to the car's aux input. The wired connection is better because there is no conflict with FM stations as you travel.

I don't think they make mine any more but there are other adapters here: Broken Link Removed

I think that's the job ! Seems to mach what was being described to me today. Will look closely at that one on the internet. We have a Pure DAB radio in the kitchen which is brilliant ! Cheers !

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We used to have a dab unit but we found it useless most of the time. Certainly in Europe it was pointless.
We now have a bluetooth head unit and use spotify, tunein radio or just play music files over it. We're much happier

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I find my DAB radio a bit dissapointing even with an amplified aeriel

Can you please expand on what you are using or have ?

As mentioned above our 2013 Toyota Rav4 has standard factory fit DAB. It is brilliant sounds fantastic and is ultra reliable. In the two years we have had the car its dropped signal once. Switch to normal FM and the sound quality is reduced..

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We used to have a dab unit but we found it useless most of the time. Certainly in Europe it was pointless.
We now have a bluetooth head unit and use spotify, tunein radio or just play music files over it. We're much happier

Again could you expand on exactly what you have ? What is spotify ?
Thanks.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Its a home DAB radio (teac) not cheap still use it on DAB but not better enough to pay for DAB over FM and prone to lose the signal at times which makes it sound like they are underwater!!

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I think I have it sussed....

Found this unit on Ebay. Checked out the reviews on Amazon which are excellent. Far better in fact than the Pure ones at twice the price.
Will give it a go I think..

Broken Link Removed

Thanks all !

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I must admit that I have given up with dab in the van as the signal seems so variable

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think I have it sussed....

Found this unit on Ebay. Checked out the reviews on Amazon which are excellent. Far better in fact than the Pure ones at twice the price.
Will give it a go I think..

Broken Link Removed

Thanks all !
If you give it a go let us know how it works out. I can't understand how its better than FM if you then use an FM transmitter (analogue) to send the signal to your cab radio unless its just the useless aerial thats the problem.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If you give it a go let us know how it works out. I can't understand how its better than FM if you then use an FM transmitter (analogue) to send the signal to your cab radio unless its just the useless aerial thats the problem.

I believe though not at all sure that that unit can be connected via the USB socket in the glove box of our van.. Been a bust day today so havent had time to ring my son to check it out for me.. Electronics and media are completely alien to me ! My dyslexia means certain things like wiring diagrams give a complete head ache ! Give me a set of building plans and I can read them in minutes but things electronic and my eyes glaze over ! :):)

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
DAB is dead , internet radio is the future . (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back