DAB digital radio woes

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by mikebeaches, Jul 10, 2016.

1. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

We picked up our new van ten days ago (Rapido V68 pvc), and very nice it is too!

Came with a digital radio fitted (Pioneer DEH-4800DAB), but I'm having difficulty getting it to hold the memorised stations.

Either Fiat or Rapido ? have fitted a clever and very neat switch on the dash to power the radio, so it can be used when the ignition is turned off. I can set up the various stations on digital and FM that I want programmed in and all is well, with the pre-set buttons working fine... until the power is turned off. Next time it is turned on, all settings lost!! Grr.

Have read the manual - which is a challenge in itself - for me anyway - but can't identify what the problem is? Wonder if the radio does not like the 'hard' power on and off through the dash switch, although surely only the same as the ignition turning off?

Any help or suggestions where I might be going wrong - thanks.

Mike

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

To retain programming any radio needs a permanent memory live. If it loses that live it loses anything in its memory.

That live should not be switched, it defeats the object.

I don't think the switch on your dash has anything to do with it, that will just take a supply to the "normal" switch live - the memory live is not used to operate the radio, it is only there so that the unit retains its programming.

I would guess that the memory live is either missing or has become disconnected on your head unit. Is the head unit original or aftermarket?

EDIT:

Pull the radio out and have a look at the back.

The red wire is the accessory one that operates the unit. This is what your dash switch will be connected to.

The yellow wire is the battery (memory) live. This needs to be connected to a permanent unswitched live.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

There are normally two supplies to any modern car radio/entertainment thingy: one is switched off by the radio off switch (& the ignition switch) and the other is on all the time to maintain settings, memory, etc. It sounds as though your added switch turns both of them of.

Edit: too slow:). And what Nicknic says.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Thanks Nick! I assume the radio was installed by Rapido, because I don't think it's standard Fiat kit. Also, I believe Rapido fit various different Pioneer radios, including one with screen for a reversing camera (which ours doesn't have).

• Like Like x 1
  5. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Are you finding your dab radio any good?
    We got rid of ours as it was a bit poor.. and even worse in Europe ...
    We had a hire car last week with dab and it wasn't that good either .. nice when it worked though

• Like Like x 1
  6. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Early days for us - it sounds ace when parked up, but we haven't really tried it on the road yet.

7. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

i drive alot of very expensive mercs and the dab radios in them are very touch and go,also have one in my motorhome and that's the same if parked up they seem fine but on the move not so good.

• Like Like x 3
  8. NickNic

I find it OK. It's not by any means perfect when travelling but it's a massive improvement on FM only.

We have a Pioneer unit as well which does some clever automatic DAB - FM linking and switching to try and minimise drop outs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Thanks again Nick - you do know your stuff on this subject!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Speak to your supplying dealer and ask for an explanation. Its not a Fiat fit, its either down to Rapido or the supplying dealer but your contract is with the supplying dealer so the onus is on them to sort it out.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NickNic

I agree with Dave if the permanent live isn't there but it is worth pulling the radio out and having a look first. It could be something as simple as a dodgy connection on the yellow wire.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Right, I think - with everybody's help - I might PERHAPS have solved the problem.

The clever dashboard switch appears to perform 2 functions:

1. When switched on it enables the radio to be played for any length of time, even with the ignition switched off.

and

2. It acts as an isolation switch that can be used if the van were to be put into extended storage ie it disables all supplies to the radio including the 'standby/memory' power, which could eventually deplete the cab battery if not being charged by using the vehicle. However, it's use does require the programme memories to be re-installed when the radio is required again.

From what I can tell, the radio is currently wired to the cab battery. I will think on and decide whether it should be changed, and wired to the habitation battery. For the time being I will leave the dashboard switch in the 'on' position and use the on/off control on the radio to turn it on and off.

We don't normally leave the van unused for long periods of time; and it is kept at home where we have a hook-up (which charges both batteries if required). I also have a separate stand-alone automatic trickle charger I periodically use on the cab battery during winter.

I will come back and provide feedback on the DAB performance whilst on the move in due course.

Thank you for all of the advice - very much appreciated!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Just a comment on DAB generally. It is a step back in time as far as I am concerned. Signal coverage is not good everywhere and unlike FM which would seek out the next most powerful transmitter for your station the DAB just goes off until it can find the signal again! I still tune to FM wherever possible!

• Like Like x 1
  14. NickNic

That still sounds like the memory live (yellow wire) isn't connected. If you can live with that then it's no big deal but it's not right.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. klaatu

klaatu Funster

My DAB radio automatically switches to the same station on FM if it can't get a good digital signal.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Speve

Speve Funster

We had the pioneer DAB fitted in ours by @eddievanbitz and it is also switched on the dash but it does hold its presets it's a good bit of kit.I would suggest asking him for advice.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

Also suggest feeding it from the hab battery as well(y) if you're not on hook up all the time (lesson learned!!)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

Only use DAB when parked up as it's hopeless at holding reception on the move!

• Like Like x 4
  19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Agreed, except both wires may have been connected via the switch.....saves looking for an unswitched supply if its an aftermarket radio and the installer knew bugger all about radios.

And now ive read the other replies it appears I was correct.
    Can I have a pineapple please...I dont like coconuts. :moon2:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  20. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Our DAB works really well when travelling - considerably better than FM.

• Like Like x 1