Czech republic 2 days in.... (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Took a drive through the southern high street of the Czech Republic road 4 ..... quite a poor place still and looks very much like EU money has not got down here much apart from to the farmers. They have a lot of new machinery, so my guess is plenty of EU subsidies coming their way.

Stopped in a couple of towns for money and a snack, lunch menus are cheap at about £2.90. Stopped at the first Czech garage from Germany on the A4 and bought a vignette in euros (which is cheap at €15.60 eqiv for a month less than 3.5 tons). would recommend paying the man and taking the main roads and motorways here as the side roads are narrow in places and not that well kept also in places, also very difficult to get into Prague on side roads( but the roads are nowhere near as bad asPortugal).
First impressions coming here from Germany, no migrants hanging about the streets. Come here and you get a nice cell like room in a prison like camp until you are processed, and then most likely its goodbye......

Quite an obvious sex industry going on here, but Mrs CC says I cant go to the Pussy cat club later, so a beer andyoutube then. :(

Language is a difficulty here but some speak German so we got by at theborder for cheap fuel where we were not stopped. locals were staring at us in the towns and I felt a little uncomfortable in my MH compared to what they are driving around in:( Also got in the way of some rather nasty looking gribblies in a battered old car, but I suspect you are a nasty looking gribbly because you are like that with everybody:rolleyes:

Currently at a nice rural site run by a Dutch couple.

Off up to Prague in a couple of days for some full on tourist trap experiences.(y)

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Prague lovely of course, if you get a bit further South Cesky Krumlov is well worth a visit and has overnight motorhome parking without facilities at the tourist bus stop and a little further down the road at the bus depot there is a dump point and water apparently and you can stop there as well.

Around lake Lipno is a lovely area for boating and cycling and looks quite affluent in comparison.

Martin

Deleted User
Great place Prague but watch out for pick pockets especially at night. Probably no worse than any other city but stick to recommended areas.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Right up my street thanks (y)
If you go to Dresden you can go around the VW assembly plant, MH parking in and around Dresden.

There again if you only have "two days" you could run out of time.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
If you go to Dresden you can go around the VW assembly plant, MH parking in and around Dresden.

There again if you only have "two days" you could run out of time.

Martin
Sorry I meant 2 days into the Czech republic, got till the end of October this time so may well look at your suggestion (y) as well.

I went to the VW factory in 2013 at Dresden, but thanks for the suggestion. (y)
I think Mrs CC might like the city though.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Great place Prague but watch out for pick pockets especially at night. Probably no worse than any other city but stick to recommended areas.
I last went there in 2003 or 4 cant remember exactly but thanks for the warning , will be interesting to see how things have changed. Will be wearing my 'urban disguise' though, usually people offer to give me money for meal not take it from me o_O

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sorry I meant 2 days into the Czech republic, got till the end of October this time so may well look at your suggestion (y) as well.

I went to the VW factory in 2013 at Dresden, but thanks for the suggestion. (y)
I think Mrs CC might like the city though.
I wondered about the two days!!

If you are a watch man Glashutte is a good day out with at least one manufacturer Glashutte original doing factory tours and a really interesting museum of German watch and clockmaking.

If you get to Cesky Krumlov one of the restaurants has a little bike museum upstairs for €1 from memory, full of Jaws and NSU as expected.

Martin

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Campa cola, we are planning in going in that direction next month, as we are over 3.5t, what do we need to do for the motorways etc ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Campa cola, we are planning in going in that direction next month, as we are over 3.5t, what do we need to do for the motorways etc ?
You need a go box or as they call them in Czech republic "premid".

The system for taking them out works really well as you just walk in the place and say "premid" and then if they don't speak English they come out with a phrase book and just point at various phrases and you point at the answers, very good really.

Link Removed

Martin

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Been to Czech Republic 3 times now in the van quite like it still not made it to the Technology Museum though. Prague is ok but too touristy for us full of hen n stag groups from the UK and Irish bars. Shame because its a beautiful old city but needs must I suppose and as you say its a poor country. Some nice campsites and very friendly and the cheapest Lidl we've ever been in.
Been to Slovenia twice but not as nice as CR

Enjoy(y)

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
you will have to get a electronic toll tag :( its possible to avoid the toll roads but near impossible if you want to go in and out of Prague. There are not many police around but if you are stopped they will fine you heavily if you are not complying after of course giving you the statutory breathalyser and the limit is zero!! You should also have a reflective vest for each passenger and warning triangle, first aid kit and beam deflectors. You also need your headlights on at all times. The police inspected us via some binoculars as we went over the border.
here are some links:
http://www.motorway.cz/
Link Removed
http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/czech-republic/

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If you like castles try hlubocka near cesky krumlov. Can recommend the canoe trips at ck.

Pilsen for pilsner urquell brewery tour.

Karlovy vary is wonderful Victorian spa town, featured in one of the recent bond films.

Unfortunately glass vw factory at Dresden is being re fitted to produce a different model so no tours

Gobox is a pain but cheaper and easier than Austria.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
you will have to get a electronic toll tag :( its possible to avoid the toll roads but near impossible if you want to go in and out of Prague. There are not many police around but if you are stopped they will fine you heavily if you are not complying after of course giving you the statutory breathalyser and the limit is zero!! You should also have a reflective vest for each passenger and warning triangle, first aid kit and beam deflectors. You also need your headlights on at all times. The police inspected us via some binoculars as we went over the border.
here are some links:
http://www.motorway.cz/
Link Removed
http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/czech-republic/
On the UK gov website it also said you needed the following:
  • fluorescent green high visibility safety jacket
  • first aid kit, warning triangle
  • complete set of spare bulbs
  • complete set of electric fuses
  • jack
  • spanner
  • spare wheel or special tyres repair set
You need winter tyres between 1 November and 31 March.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
:LOL: Jawa's bloody predictive text, oh and CZ's of course.

You knew what I meant though I bet.

Martin
Worked on a CZ once......agricultural is the term that comes to mind :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back