Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I also think attaching a bright light to YOUR BODY as well as the bike would help if you get knocked off, then at least you might still show up ,as long as it survived the crunch.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Oh well here goes....
1. All cyclists should have compulsory minimum 3rd party insurance with:
2. Paid for number plate ID system (run privately of course)
3. Minimum certificated compulsory training course to go onto the roads aged (10+)
4. ANPR cameras pick up pavement abusers and TL dodgers and the full £500 fine imposed every time for those caught.
5. Fine and points system especially for no lights at night

Anything else ???:whistle:(y)
Yes. Cycles, when ridden by a cyclist, should be stopped and, once the cyclist has been removed, taken to a crusher for recycling. Recycled cycles could be turned into something useful. Like cars.:reel::imoutahere::whistle2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
As someone that commuted to work either by road or along the canal path, I agree that anyone that doesn't have a ear light is completely stupid and its their own fault if they are removed from the gene pool. I always have two rear lights in case one fails without me knowing.
On the canal path a bell is useless as people panic when you ring it. I always shout coming past on your right/left which normally has them also panicking but not quite as much and stepping the wrong way. That is assuming they can hear you when they have their headphones on or are on the phone talking.
Summary. There are bad drivers, bad cyclist and bad pedestrians so don't lump everyone together and try and tolerate others.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
That is assuming they can hear you when they have their headphones on or are on the phone talking.
Summary. There are bad drivers, bad cyclist and bad pedestrians so don't lump everyone together and try and tolerate others.

What if they are deaf???? Furthewr, tinging a bell or shouting which side is uselss if you still hurtle past at 15mph with no regard for the safety of others. Not directing this at you but my experience of cylists on our walkways is that most think they have the right of way. By all means use the bell or shout, we like that, but for heavens sake slow down.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
they do have every right to be on the road, .
Yes ,laying on it.:)

We have a great walk/cycle way 5 minutes from our house. It is an old railway line that runs from our Duthie Park to Peterculter and is approx. 8 miles long. The normal cyclist are mostly OK but the commuting cyclists or “cikes” as my wife calls them (work it out for yourself) are a bunch of B’stards. They race along the line trying to beat their get-home times and nothing is allowed in their way. My mother-in-law has been knocked over, sworn at to control her effing dog, and my wife and many other women on the track have been subjected to abuse. One poor lady was knocked over and broke her collar bone and fractured her wrist; they still haven’t found the culprit. These brave cyclist never confront men, they only bully women; yes they might shout abuse but from 100 yards away going in the opposite direction, pussies. I have stayed away from the track this summer because it was getting so bad that a cyclist was going to get a size 10 right up his arse and I would have been nicked. Many of us have complained to our local councillor but nothing has been done and it won’t be until a cyclist knocks over a small child, too late by then. So, hello to all you nice cyclist and to those of you who aren’t 621311251521 and that is not my phone number.

A broom handle serves the purpose. through the spokes & job done.(y) Any complaints you can also give them a resounding clump with it.:D
Then again do it anyway.(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I also think attaching a bright light to YOUR BODY as well as the bike would help if you get knocked off, then at least you might still show up ,as long as it survived the crunch.

A lot of jackets have built in lights these days...our Altura ones certainly do. The florescent stripping works well. I had a photo taken and I lit up like skeletor in it.

See non visible cyclists all the time...need their heads examining. Cycling last preserve of freedom and I hope it stays that way! Those calling for legislation should worry about themselves.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
A lot of jackets have built in lights these days...our Altura ones certainly do. The florescent stripping works well. I had a photo taken and I lit up like skeletor in it.

See non visible cyclists all the time...need their heads examining. Cycling last preserve of freedom and I hope it stays that way! Those calling for legislation should worry about themselves.
Unfortunately legislation caters for the lowest common denominator of which there are plenty amoungst the cycling fraternity.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Unfortunately legislation caters for the lowest common denominator of which there are plenty amoungst the cycling fraternity.

Not sure what that means to be honest.......other that you seem to have a chip on your shoulder

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Not sure what that means to be honest.......other that you seem to have a chip on your shoulder
It means a lot of cyclists flout laws because they cannot be identified and/or are idiots. I would like to see proper training, insurance and rules for cyclists most importantly ID on a road using cyclist. Particularly For one of the reasons I have already mentioned, to ensure that cyclist is not banned from using the highway. And is putting other road users at risk.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We stopped to help a cyclist who had been sideswiped by a van luckily he wasn't to badly hurt ambulance came to check him out . His bike was a write off and he was wearing all the appropriate gear and the weather was clear as it was 12.30 lunchtime. The van driver was apologetic and said he was going for a sandwich! Drivers are at fault too. I have a battery bike with the gear and only use it on cycle tracks here or in France.always use bell when people are about. The family laugh at all my gear as I'm only a fair weather cyclist!

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
It means a lot of cyclists flout laws because they cannot be identified and/or are idiots. I would like to see proper training, insurance and rules for cyclists most importantly ID on a road using cyclist. Particularly For one of the reasons I have already mentioned, to ensure that cyclist is not banned from using the highway. And is putting other road users at risk.
So to take this to its logical conclusion, shouldn't all pedestrians have ID and insurance? This would cover me for the idiot that stepped off the pavement without looking into my path over the summer.

Reactions: DBK
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
So to take this to its logical conclusion, shouldn't all pedestrians have ID and insurance? This would cover me for the idiot that stepped off the pavement without looking into my path over the summer.
Last time I looked, the legal position for a cyclist was to ride on the road or a desigated cycle route. That makes them highway users and they should be treated the same as all other road users for everybody's safety and security. So no there is no logic for pedestrians having id or insurance as they are not legally dedicated highway users.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Plus some sort or indicator and stop lights - that would be great. One for Martin to work on over the winter :)

What if they are deaf???? Furthewr, tinging a bell or shouting which side is uselss if you still hurtle past at 15mph with no regard for the safety of others. Not directing this at you but my experience of cylists on our walkways is that most think they have the right of way. By all means use the bell or shout, we like that, but for heavens sake slow down.

I do use my bell and always say "thanks " to people who step out of my way. As I am a bit deaf myself I am aware that some people can't hear so cautious is the way to go. Mind getting up to 15mph or hurtling is a bit beyond me even on a good day! Martin gets cross with me as I walk almost as much as I cycle on shared paths when there are pedestrians around:)

The family laugh at all my gear as I'm only a fair weather cyclist!

Same here. All the gear, same idea.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Spot on, cyclists should be considered as pedestrians with wheels*, motorised vehicles are a very different thing. Of course pedestrians should wear bright clothing and carry a torch if necessary at night too.

But threads like this remind me just how far we have to go in driver education in this country. A law of what is known as strict liability would help enormously. The UK being one of the few countries in Europe which doesn't have anything like this. For example in France if you hit a cyclist 16 or under and I think a pedestrian as well then the vehicle driver is presumed to be at fault unless they can prove the cyclist was either trying to commit suicide or was being reckless, and the bar for the definition of reckless is set quite high. Similar rules apply for cyclists over I think 65 or the disabled. The introduction of these laws in France in 1984 reduced fatalities by 60%. http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-for-collisions-with-cyclists-say-campaigners

But nothing will happen as there are more drivers than cyclists.:)

*Yes I know bicycles are legally classed as vehicles, but it is all about perception.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Last time I looked, the legal position for a cyclist was to ride on the road or a desigated cycle route. That makes them highway users and they should be treated the same as all other road users for everybody's safety and security. So no there is no logic for pedestrians having id or insurance as they are not legally dedicated highway users.
Except where there is no pavement like every road around where I live.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

So tell me why the appalling behavior of a tiny minority do you want to hammer all cyclists with your fascistic overbearing legislation.

You have it round the wrong way......how many car drivers been killed by a cycist

http://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/pedal-cyclists/facts-figures/

its the car drivers that need training. cyclists do need laws, a law to protect vulnerable road users..treated like dirt in the UK. The Law of strict liability that is in use in Europe. it concentrates drivers minds on being aware of cyclists. "Oh! i'm sorry I did not see you" no longer an excuse in Holland.

http://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/w...ity-made-everybody-drive-safely-and-play-nice

driving in citys frustrating and slow...stuck in traffic watching bikes fly by people build up irrational feelings towards cyclists..try it.. will get to work twice as fast and feel much better

Finally. 9 things car driver should ask themselves

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/9-things-drivers-need-stop-saying-bikes-vs-cars-debate/

So......less preducice more understanding all round please

Last edited:

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
after reading the whole thread I now feel I can comment. car drivers think they have a god given right to the road because they pay road fund licence. this means the motorised vehicle pays towards the damage it causes to the road surface. car drivers use their cars as weapons against other road users, just look on youtube for road rage, the majority of footage on you tube of cyclists is PEOPLE defending their right to use the highway and to preserve their life, the bullshit I have to endure as a cyclist off other road uses is amazing we are classed as vulnerable road users in the highway code so as the first port of call I suggest all of you metal cage drivers look at it and educate yourselves to bring a structured argument to the table. I am at the moment recovering from a broken pelvis caused by a car driver pulling out of a side road in front of me nearly a year later I am now just starting to look at returning to work. it was a bright day good visibility so please do not even think about justifying your blinkered outlook at other road users because cyclists are people and you dickheads seem to forget this once you are cocooned in your safety cell that they call a car. I reiterate once again read the highway code it may teach you a thing or two about driving and consideration to other road users.

car owner, motorcycle owner, motorhome owner so I pay enough road fund licence, I also have third party insurance as do the majority of cyclists through their club or organisation they belong to.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
after reading the whole thread I now feel I can comment. car drivers think they have a god given right to the road because they pay road fund licence. this means the motorised vehicle pays towards the damage it causes to the road surface. car drivers use their cars as weapons against other road users, just look on youtube for road rage, the majority of footage on you tube of cyclists is PEOPLE defending their right to use the highway and to preserve their life, the bullshit I have to endure as a cyclist off other road uses is amazing we are classed as vulnerable road users in the highway code so as the first port of call I suggest all of you metal cage drivers look at it and educate yourselves to bring a structured argument to the table. I am at the moment recovering from a broken pelvis caused by a car driver pulling out of a side road in front of me nearly a year later I am now just starting to look at returning to work. it was a bright day good visibility so please do not even think about justifying your blinkered outlook at other road users because cyclists are people and you dickheads seem to forget this once you are cocooned in your safety cell that they call a car. I reiterate once again read the highway code it may teach you a thing or two about driving and consideration to other road users.

car owner, motorcycle owner, motorhome owner so I pay enough road fund licence, I also have third party insurance as do the majority of cyclists through their club or organisation they belong to.

And breathe.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015

Wow, I love your educated, non-blinkered, non-dickhead and structured argument. Hope you are better soon (y)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I am a cyclist,motorcyclist,car driver,motorhome driver.
There are good and bad in them all
Dick head ? Hope thats not at anyone specific.
In Belgium a lot of cyclists shout vunerable road user then run over pedestrians.
What did they think they where?
Just been cycling in the Netherlands what a pleasure apart from the rain.
I also see cyclist that think they are God & then they meet the car driver who thinks he is God.
Whatever hapens the cyclist comes off worse so they have to cycle knowing every one is out to get them.
A paranoid cyclist will last a long time

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Perhaps that might happen - maybe when existing legislation for motorised vehicles works. How many times do we read of drivers who have been caught driving many times even when they have been banned?

Reactions: Mel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back