Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
As the nights draw in I find myself asking the same question, Why do cyclist think it is ok to have a good front light and a poor or non existent rear light!

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Who in there right minds rides a bicycle in the dark, just not worth the risk in today's traffic with the speed most travel by the time they see you in daylight it's almost to late. Not the cyclists fault they are being driven off the road by sheer volume of fast traffic.
PS I no longer ride a bike just to old to stay upright on one.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have decent lights front and rear.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
What about bells. Just back from walking the dog, the same cyclist as every day comes up silently behind and has to do a swerve to avoid the dog and lead. I say, ring a bell, he says nothing and rides away.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I've seen quite a few of these flashing red LED lamps lately, there cheap enough and far brighter and noticeable than any lights that have been available in the past

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
What about bells. Just back from walking the dog, the same cyclist as every day comes up silently behind and has to do a swerve to avoid the dog and lead. I say, ring a bell, he says nothing and rides away.

It sounds like he's deaf, maybe he doesn't know his bells not working:)

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Same reason as motorists drive with no lights or just side lights in poor visibility. They can see where they are going. :)

Totally agree. Some people have no hazard awareness. We cycle in the dark often as we have no choice when commuting this time of year but actually feel safer as we're MORE visible than in murky daylight. Good lights front and rear and hi-viz are a must. We mainly use the lanes and back roads and you get warning on bends when a vehicle is approaching from either direction with their lights.

Reactions: DBK
Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007

Agree again but that's just plain ignorance by the cyclist. I don't have a bell but I have a big mouth and a call of 'on your left (or right)' indicates my approach. Plus I always thank pedestrians as I pass.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I never cycle in the dark but hubby does. On his road bike he has good lights front and back, a flashing on on the rear of his helmet and a really good on on the rear outside triangular bit (technical term there) that is about 125mm long so really stands out.

He is mainly a mountain biker though and offroad it is all about front vision with some rear lighting to stop the next biker running in the back of you on the downhills! They always have bells to warn people of approach.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
On one of my bikes I have a bell, and for all the volume I can get out of it I might as well not. Like Jill above when using shared paths I normally friendly shout "just coming through" and say thank you as I pass. For most folks this works but you occasionally get the walker or jogger ipodded up or deep in conversation who tend to jump in the canal as I pass.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
It sounds like he's deaf, maybe he doesn't know his bells not working:)

If so this might help him
image.jpeg

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think that one eyed monsters(cars with at least one headlight not working) are as big a problem. Why dont people check their lights and change them as required. Something that looks like a motorbike then turns out to be a car is dangerous especially in dark country roads.

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
A couple of years ago I was in London crossing Westminster bridge then suddenly round the corner came the naked bike riders....No problem with cars there as they all slowed to a walking pace, can't think why (y) Perhaps that is the answer, go naked then everyone will see you in all weather! ;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I find fluorescent Lycra helps as well :whistle:

Fluorescent yes, lycra no :)

I think that one eyed monsters(cars with at least one headlight not working) are as big a problem. Why dont people check their lights and change them as required. Something that looks like a motorbike then turns out to be a car is dangerous especially in dark country roads.

We call them cyclops and they are a menace.

View attachment 81717
We bought two of these and it is amazing how many drivers avoid the red lines.

View attachment 81718

Broken Link Removed

Looks great and cheap enough. It would be good to have white or yellow ones for the front - will see if they do them. Not that I cycle n the dark but still worth having.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
A couple of years ago I was in London crossing Westminster bridge then suddenly round the corner came the naked bike riders....No problem with cars there as they all slowed to a walking pace, can't think why (y) Perhaps that is the answer, go naked then everyone will see you in all weather! ;)

its bad enough going out without me gloves!:coffee:

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
That's ok Judgemental, in Scotland they sell Tartan willy warmers...they do small sizes too!!! :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Love a good cyclists bashing thread ..:whistle:

View attachment 81712
Oh well here goes....
1. All cyclists should have compulsory minimum 3rd party insurance with:
2. Paid for number plate ID system (run privately of course)
3. Minimum certificated compulsory training course to go onto the roads aged (10+)
4. ANPR cameras pick up pavement abusers and TL dodgers and the full £500 fine imposed every time for those caught.
5. Fine and points system especially for no lights at night

Anything else ???:whistle:(y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Fluorescent yes, lycra no change. I'm 6ft built like a brick outhouse and somehow lycra does not paint a nice picture..............

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Oh well here goes....
1. All cyclists should have compulsory minimum 3rd party insurance with:
2. Paid for number plate ID system (run privately of course)
3. Minimum certificated compulsory training course to go onto the roads aged (10+)
4. ANPR cameras pick up pavement abusers and TL dodgers and the full £500 fine imposed every time for those caught.
5. Fine and points system especially for no lights at night

Anything else ???:whistle:(y)

I can't find fault with that. I'd extend (some) of it to other things such as kayaks as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back