Cycling with dog? (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Does anyone use a little trailer attached to the back of their bike? Wondering if this would be the answer but also concerned how bulky they may prove for storage. And if anyone has any recommendations of which one?
We had considered the doggydo thing you attach to the bike to allow the dog to run alongside but not convinced our working cocker would co-operate!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Well, it's bloody hard keeping the old boy out of ours, as soon as he see's it wheeled out, he s in it. So I can only guess that he loves it.

It's a it like dropping the tail gate on the car, their straight in before my back is turned. As they can't drive, I'm guessing that the dogs feel they get something out is it lol
i had an old labrador that would jump into any car that left their door open too long:D

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Hmmm Dennis only weighs 15kg .

About the same as our dog @Lizi so you go ahead and let me know how you get on!

ours is pretty stable but I guess it depends how fast you go? In my case. Very slow :)

I won't be winning any races that's for sure. Slow and steady.

For what it's worth, we've agreed on this trip that there have been several locations that we could have explored better if we could have used bikes without the worry of leaving the dog alone.

@Tootles he can't yet be trusted to run alongside without either bolting or pulling me over if he's on a leash. So although, like us, he has legs and we all get plenty of opportunities to use them, a trailer is a reasonable option IMO.

Karen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
What about one for the wife?
315a5f3ade97fcc0c1814760925edc0e.jpg

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Well, it's bloody hard keeping the old boy out of ours, as soon as he see's it wheeled out, he s in it.
Well, thats you taken care of then Eddie.........What about the dog?? :);)

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Here's Val setting off with our two for their 6 mile jog this morning, the boys look a bit sad but they enjoy it really ! Their leads clip to a matched belt we got from ebay. We have a trailer if we're away in the van and want to do a longer journey, although they managed 13/14 miles over the space of a day along the Mosel last year.
20160518_104049.jpg

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Here's Val setting off with our two for their 6 mile jog this morning, the boys look a bit sad but they enjoy it really ! Their leads clip to a matched belt we got from ebay. We have a trailer if we're away in the van and want to do a longer journey, although they managed 13/14 miles over the space of a day along the Mosel last year.
View attachment 106493
What the hell happens if a rabbit appears just as someone fires a starting pistol?? :Eeek: Would Val become the holder of the Guinness Cycling World Speed Record??

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Think it would be more like a "tug of war" than a sprint event (thank God she doesn't come on here !)
They're pretty focussed when still attached, but once off the lead, down the cycle path it's a whole new ball game :LOL:

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Think it would be more like a "tug of war" than a sprint event (thank God she doesn't come on here !)
They're pretty focussed when still attached, but once off the lead, down the cycle path it's a whole new ball game :LOL:
I think I would be a bit worried on the road though......o_O

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
I think we will check out Halfords. There is no way Dennis would sit unrestrained! He would much prefer to run but it just wouldn't be safe enough. Never mind, We will get double exercise: cycling and then walking him!

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
:whistle::whistle:I'm in the dogs got legs camp
I find the doggie carriers amusing
My favourite are dogs in bags

Check with the RSPCA, I recall see a sign on a otter trail saying 'running dogs' is frowned upon

Upvote 0
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Our dog has only got three legs, and can't walk for longer than about an hour, so we bought him a trailer. It's the same one as in @weekenders ' post No.22, only bigger. This is it on Amazon
Amazon product ASIN B003OAGPAMProblem is, he refuses to go in it, so we're selling it again. It's the size to fit a Lab or Dalmatian. Totally unused with box. We'd be prepared to accept £85 plus postage - although I'd have to work out how to do that.

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We have a dog trailer ,but i usually walk the two dogs (yorkies) and Shirley leads the way with the cat Tilly in the trailer .and she loves it .If we take a long walk ,we sometimes put the dogs in with the cat for the walk back.lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Ours has legs but boy can they go fast! Rocket dog. He would be a danger to anyone on the road and we would be pulled off the bike if we tried to keep him on a lead. The trailer would allow us to cycle a few kilometres to a town or somewhere and then he can walk or run if that were suitable. He will not go without exercise! He would also not like being left behind so we will give the trailer a try.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back