Cycling with dog?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Lizi, May 17, 2016.

1. Lizi

Lizi Funster

Does anyone use a little trailer attached to the back of their bike? Wondering if this would be the answer but also concerned how bulky they may prove for storage. And if anyone has any recommendations of which one?
    We had considered the doggydo thing you attach to the bike to allow the dog to run alongside but not convinced our working cocker would co-operate!

• Like Like x 1
  2. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

We use a doggy trailer, we have a shitzhu, it's better than leaving them whilst your out, best thing we bought.
    If you do a search "Doggy trailers" on here a few funsters put photo on, there is one with our Toby in his trolley

• Like Like x 1
  3. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

We've got the doggyhut for our cairn terriers. Not used it much but when we have its been great. I bought it after we'd been to Falkirk wheel rally last year because we walked from the wheel to the kelpies and by the time we got there my two cairns were too tired to walk back. Luckily Terry came to rescue us and picked us all up I think there were 5 of us and 3 dogs.

There have been a few occasions when we've been away since where we want to visit places that would be too far for the dogs or too long a day to leave them in the bus.

The doggy hut was recommended to me when I saw a lady in our parks using one. It's lightweight yet very strong and is easy to tow. It's also got a good cover with mesh Windows for good weather or heavy waterproof canvas. They snuggle down in their blankets when they've had enough walking. The wheels come off easily and it then folds up flat for storage. We fix ours between the bikes on the bike rack to transport it. I bought an extra attachment to fix it to the bikes so we could both share the load. I got it online and paid £70 about 6 months ago.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rosierose

rosierose Funster

• Like Like x 1
  5. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

We cycle often with our dogs albeit slowly. They love it, either running free or on a short lead held in the hand. Flexi leads were a bit of a disaster with 2 dogs :)
    We also have a trailer which we used when our old dog wasn't up to the running. She loved that too, particularly when we went fast. The trailer is pretty lightweight and folds pretty flat

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

[​IMG]

This our little trailer with the pup.

• Like Like x 1
  8. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

Buy him a bike.
    image.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

We have two big German Shepherds and two trailers that we tow behind our bikes

To be honest, at 55 towing 45 kilo dog and a trailer man enough for a 45kg dog has pushed us to electric bikes and we love them

Ridden more in the last few weeks than in the last few years lol

• Like Like x 3
  10. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

Very true. While the trailer is fine on the flat, particularly once you've got the momentum going, any Slight incline is a crippler!!

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. reckless

reckless Funster

We're also thinking about a trailer for our collie cross. This is our first trip since we got him and we've missed using the bikes on the odd occasion.

Not sure he'll take to it as he's a nervous 3 year old rescue. But we could always sell it on.

I'll be doing the towing as I have the electric bike. I'm not that steady on the bike so hope these trailers don't tip?

Good idea to carry it on the bike rack @Allan & Loren - Brian was saying he has no space in the man locker so now he has no excuse! I'm willing to jettison some of my clothes to save weight.

Karen

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lizi

Lizi Funster

Hmmm Dennis only weighs 15kg So hoping we will manage as I dont think our van could store electric bikes or take the extra weight. Muddibootz, what sort of trailer is this? I think Dennis might like to be more open like this.

13. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

we took our dogs out for the first time with our new bikes and a trailer,their combined weight is about 20 kilos ,with the electric bikes it is no problem whatsoever , we bought the trailer from halfords which has them on sale at the moment at half price ,they are kiddie trailers but have harnesses to keep the pooches in safely kes on ebike.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

Our trailer is this one..
    http://tinyurl.com/jboej84
    (I hope it's ok to post a link to the retailer)

It seems to be more expensive than we paid but if you look at what people "also bought" there are cheaper alternatives. I did think it would have loads of other uses but so far it's just been a dog/pup taxi.
    Your Dennis is about half the weight of our labs so should be easy to tow. The trailer empty is quite light.

15. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

My son got a trailer for the grandson and grandson hates it. Had to go and get him a bike!!!! He also refuses to be towed behind Dad on the bike...... "Do it mine own" he says -and he does!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lizi

Lizi Funster

Middibootz is there something to secure the dog to in the trailer?

17. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

When we had the pup in we did experiment with a lead and bungi cords with some success. With the older dog, she happily sat in the trailer inrestrained with the appropriate number of scatter cushions of course.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

For a smaller dog like Dennis, something like the one the laird of Dunstan uses may be a better option.

• Like Like x 1
  19. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Those kiddie trailers are not only handy for a pooch. I've got one which folds flat onto the roof of the MH and I use it for the occasional supermarket trip if we don't want to lose our aire spot, and for carrying jerry cans and the loo cassette if the service point is some distance from where we're parked. The off-season seafront aire at La Palmyre springs readily to mind - the service point is at the other aire about half a mile up the road.

I also reckon you could carry a surfboard in one provided you were careful going round corners.

• Like Like x 2
  20. FunnyFendt

FunnyFendt Funster

IMG_0989.jpg IMG_0991.jpg

Managed to get our tibetan into a wicker basket on the back of our bike...not sure if would be too small for you

• Like Like x 5