Cycling with dog? (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Does anyone use a little trailer attached to the back of their bike? Wondering if this would be the answer but also concerned how bulky they may prove for storage. And if anyone has any recommendations of which one?
We had considered the doggydo thing you attach to the bike to allow the dog to run alongside but not convinced our working cocker would co-operate!

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We use a doggy trailer, we have a shitzhu, it's better than leaving them whilst your out, best thing we bought.
If you do a search "Doggy trailers" on here a few funsters put photo on, there is one with our Toby in his trolley

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've got the doggyhut for our cairn terriers. Not used it much but when we have its been great. I bought it after we'd been to Falkirk wheel rally last year because we walked from the wheel to the kelpies and by the time we got there my two cairns were too tired to walk back. Luckily Terry came to rescue us and picked us all up I think there were 5 of us and 3 dogs.

There have been a few occasions when we've been away since where we want to visit places that would be too far for the dogs or too long a day to leave them in the bus.

The doggy hut was recommended to me when I saw a lady in our parks using one. It's lightweight yet very strong and is easy to tow. It's also got a good cover with mesh Windows for good weather or heavy waterproof canvas. They snuggle down in their blankets when they've had enough walking. The wheels come off easily and it then folds up flat for storage. We fix ours between the bikes on the bike rack to transport it. I bought an extra attachment to fix it to the bikes so we could both share the load. I got it online and paid £70 about 6 months ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
We cycle often with our dogs albeit slowly. They love it, either running free or on a short lead held in the hand. Flexi leads were a bit of a disaster with 2 dogs :)
We also have a trailer which we used when our old dog wasn't up to the running. She loved that too, particularly when we went fast. The trailer is pretty lightweight and folds pretty flat

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
P1010627_zpskzukafr2.jpg

This our little trailer with the pup.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We have two big German Shepherds and two trailers that we tow behind our bikes

To be honest, at 55 towing 45 kilo dog and a trailer man enough for a 45kg dog has pushed us to electric bikes and we love them

Ridden more in the last few weeks than in the last few years lol

Upvote 0

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
To be honest, at 55 towing 45 kilo dog and a trailer man enough for a 45kg dog has pushed us to electric bikes and we love them
Ridden more in the last few weeks than in the last few years lol
Very true. While the trailer is fine on the flat, particularly once you've got the momentum going, any Slight incline is a crippler!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We're also thinking about a trailer for our collie cross. This is our first trip since we got him and we've missed using the bikes on the odd occasion.

Not sure he'll take to it as he's a nervous 3 year old rescue. But we could always sell it on.

I'll be doing the towing as I have the electric bike. I'm not that steady on the bike so hope these trailers don't tip?

Good idea to carry it on the bike rack @Allan & Loren - Brian was saying he has no space in the man locker so now he has no excuse! I'm willing to jettison some of my clothes to save weight.

Karen

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Hmmm Dennis only weighs 15kg So hoping we will manage as I dont think our van could store electric bikes or take the extra weight. Muddibootz, what sort of trailer is this? I think Dennis might like to be more open like this.

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
we took our dogs out for the first time with our new bikes and a trailer,their combined weight is about 20 kilos ,with the electric bikes it is no problem whatsoever , we bought the trailer from halfords which has them on sale at the moment at half price ,they are kiddie trailers but have harnesses to keep the pooches in safely
kes on ebike.jpg

Upvote 0

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
Our trailer is this one..

(I hope it's ok to post a link to the retailer)

It seems to be more expensive than we paid but if you look at what people "also bought" there are cheaper alternatives. I did think it would have loads of other uses but so far it's just been a dog/pup taxi.
Your Dennis is about half the weight of our labs so should be easy to tow. The trailer empty is quite light.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My son got a trailer for the grandson and grandson hates it. Had to go and get him a bike!!!! He also refuses to be towed behind Dad on the bike...... "Do it mine own" he says -and he does!

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Those kiddie trailers are not only handy for a pooch. I've got one which folds flat onto the roof of the MH and I use it for the occasional supermarket trip if we don't want to lose our aire spot, and for carrying jerry cans and the loo cassette if the service point is some distance from where we're parked. The off-season seafront aire at La Palmyre springs readily to mind - the service point is at the other aire about half a mile up the road.

I also reckon you could carry a surfboard in one provided you were careful going round corners.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Our dog came with fitted legs.(y) Not only does that help it to run very fast when we are out cycling, but it saves the cost of tugging your hound behind you in a converted pram.........:)

Upvote 0

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
Our dog came with fitted legs.(y) Not only does that help it to run very fast when we are out cycling, but it saves the cost of tugging your hound behind you in a converted pram.........:)
Ours came with legs too but they wore out very fast on the older dog and a pup can't run too much. At present ours (at 3 and 6 yrs) are running alongside and giving us very peaceful nights apart from the snoring. But that could be Mrs muddibootz? :)

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Ours came with legs too but they wore out very fast on the older dog and a pup can't run too much. At present ours (at 3 and 6 yrs) are running alongside and giving us very peaceful nights apart from the snoring. But that could be Mrs muddibootz? :)
You see, my real point is that dogs like to sniff stuff, and explore, and walk with you, it's (surely?) what having a dog is all about?? So people like to ride their bikes. That's fine. But why would you ride your bike with your dog, if the dog is either too young, or too old, to ENJOY the experience?? And after all, can you really enjoy your dog if it's stuck in a flag waving converted push chair behind you?? What does the dog, (part of the partnership), get out of it?? o_O

Upvote 0

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
When it was just the two dogs, hubby and I would have a dog each that would run alongside the bike. We didn't want their tootsies or legs getting damaged, so alternated with running and being in the trailer.
Best of both worlds. They were happier and we were able to go further.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
As did ours, but with one that at five will run all day, and one at 11 with arthritis, that can't run upstairs, it means that we can go out for the day without being cruel to either, and still cover some distance

Also means we can use roads to get to better walkies

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You see, my real point is that dogs like to sniff stuff, and explore, and walk with you, it's (surely?) what having a dog is all about?? So people like to ride their bikes. That's fine. But why would you ride your bike with your dog, if the dog is either too young, or too old, to ENJOY the experience?? And after all, can you really enjoy your dog if it's stuck in a flag waving converted push chair behind you?? What does the dog, (part of the partnership), get out of it?? o_O
Well, it's bloody hard keeping the old boy out of ours, as soon as he see's it wheeled out, he s in it. So I can only guess that he loves it.

It's a it like dropping the tail gate on the car, their straight in before my back is turned. As they can't drive, I'm guessing that the dogs feel they get something out is it lol

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner

Taking the dogs with you is a much better option for the dog than having them left behind in the motorhome ,stopping regularly to enjoy the view or to have a coffee gives you the oportunity to give the dogs a walk and a sniff ,small dogs cannot in general keep up with bicycles as their legs are too short and any dog running along side you presents a hazzard to yourself and a danger to the dog:)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back