Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Blimey, seriously out of my league, The hardest climb I've done is up The Struggle to Kirkstone Pass.

Nice shots. I only use my road bike locally or in the turbo cave. I'd be worried that some scumbag might nick it if it's on a Moho bike rack. With our clapped out old mountain bikes I wouldn't bo so bothered, it'd give us an excuse to get new ones.

A bit out of my league here, where's the swimming thread?!!!.

Andy
The Struggle is not for the faint hearted. It's probably a lot steeper than most of the Alpine passes even if not as long.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I am sure you are not out of the league!. The Ventoux bit was my other half's idea! When I said what's that I was told 'go on line' which I did and then said 'Are you serious?' Yep was the reply so we started on diddy hills and 'jelly legs' in the Tarn and worked up to it over a few weeks.

We surprised ourselves with how quickly we found our cycle legs - also a great way to see the country side!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Quite fast on drugs :LOL:

For the record, Lance Armstrong set the fastest time of 48:33 for the final 15km of Mont Ventoux in 2002. Alberto Contador set the second fastest time of 48:57 in 2009, while Marco Pantani and Armstrong stopped the clock in 48:59.15 Jul 2013

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Couldn't agree more. We spent 4 weeks in Provence in May including up Mount Ventoux but with a difference, on a Tandem. Absolutely brilliant. Another cracking climb is Mount Du Lure - we stayed in Sisteron for that - good municipal site there.

Next trip in April next year, planning to visit the Pyrenees and hopefully then cycle round the Sella Ronda when they close it for the day.

http://www.sellarondabikeday.com/en/news.html

Mount Ventoux sounds hard work on a Tandem, it would be good to give it a go but I might have to do more than my fair share of the hard work.

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Blimey, seriously out of my league, The hardest climb I've done is up The Struggle to Kirkstone Pass.

Nice shots. I only use my road bike locally or in the turbo cave. I'd be worried that some scumbag might nick it if it's on a Moho bike rack. With our clapped out old mountain bikes I wouldn't bo so bothered, it'd give us an excuse to get new ones.

A bit out of my league here, where's the swimming thread?!!!.

Andy
Generally there are much steeper roads in the UK than you will find in places like France. From memory when I went up Ventoux the steepest bit was only 11% or thereabouts. It's just a grind, have a low enough gear and you will get to the top. The worst bit was going down on the north side - it was freezing and we had to stop several times to thaw our fingers out!
There is a story, don't know if it is true, Napoleon decreed all roads should be no steeper than a mule pulling a cart could manage. Probably just a story but the road makers seem to believe it. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Generally there are much steeper roads in the UK than you will find in places like France. From memory when I went up Ventoux the steepest bit was only 11% or thereabouts. It's just a grind, have a low enough gear and you will get to the top. The worst bit was going down on the north side - it was freezing and we had to stop several times to thaw our fingers out!
There is a story, don't know if it is true, Napoleon decreed all roads should be no steeper than a mule pulling a cart could manage. Probably just a story but the road makers seem to believe it. :)
They have silly-steep roads as well. It's just that most of us head along tourist routes/roads.
Normandie & Brittany, basically the French bits of Devon & Dorset, have some distinctly Devonny & Dorsetty hills.

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Just on the off chance that there are any cyclists in the Whitchurch, Hampshire, UK. area.... We meet every Thursday evening at 8pm in the Town centre for a local pub ride, at social pace.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back