Cycling - (Not E-Bikes)

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Go Humberto!, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

I thought I'd start a thread about Cycling as a Hobby. There are various cycling questions in Hobbies but it seemed a strange omission, given that Motorhoming gives you such great access to quiet country-lane cycling, that there isn't a separate thread. (There's a separate thread for the reading of Obituaries but not one for cycling!)

I thought it should be separate to E-Bikes because the technicalities of E-Bikes seems to have it's own thread elsewhere and I think Cycling as a Hobby is much more than a stream of technical questions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

So, for my own part, I'm a keen cyclist and I'm looking forward to Humberto giving me access to some amazing French roads next year.

I would like to park up at Le Bourg d'Osisans next year and attempt some of the epic Tour de France climbs that start close by (at my own leisurely pace of course).

My favourite type of cycling is Camping and "Credit Card Touring" (No tent, just cycle between nice towns and wave your credit card at a Hotel Receptionist when you've had enough for the day).

I mean this sort of thing.. IMG_8925.JPG

I have a history of long-distance but seem to have gravitated into social cycling to pubs with friends lately.

Motorhoming, as well as giving you the opportunity to cycle, also seems to replace cycling with other activities .... such as sitting outside your Motorhome with a Beer.

That will change once i get a couple of bikes sorted for the Bike rack.

Anyway, I have enough experience of cycling on regular roads (5,000 miles a year or so) to provide reasonable advice if you want it (Lights, clothing, accessories..etc) and ties with some Hampshire clubs (Social mainly) if you want to join in for a Beer and a ride.

Go Humberto !

4. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Whatever makes you happy but unless you keep bumping it, which tends to irritate people, a single thread will soon disappear. The groups, all 24 of them, are always in the same easy to find place and also only people who are interested in the subject and choose to join the group will see the posts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

We've cycled the Camino Frances, Via de la Plata and Camino del Cid in Spain. Currently in the Mosel in Germany and long distance cycling possibilities are endless.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JJ

JJ Funster

I cycle quite often but rarely for fun.

I only use my bicycle as a means of transport to get somewhere with less effort than walking.

JJ :cool:

8. brynric

brynric Funster

I understand your thoughts on separating cycling from e-bikes. An awful lot of Motorhomers go with simple bikes which aid motor-homing in one way or another.
    On the other hand there are lots of us who are keen leisure cyclists who as we get older find e-bikes can extend our range or (as in my case) gets us up hills without cardiac arrest.
    I still see myself as a leisure/ hobby cyclist. But now I use an e-bike

9. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

Any photos? Sounds amazing.

10. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

Have photos but not here with us in Germany at the moment. When back home I'll try to remember to post some.

11. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

12. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

Some serious Trail-riding going on there. Very impressed.

I haven't sat on a Mountain bike since waking up in a hedge with broken ribs and collar-bone.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dogeared

Dogeared Funster

Loch Leven, is nice for a 13 mile off road cycle round the lake. Hard to find reasonably level off road cycle routes that my other half doesn't find to challenging. Currently parked on the car park (overnight) at Kinross with five other motorhomes.

Anyone with other motorhome, cycling ideas appreciated.

14. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

Here's "Pete", my Brommie.

I think it may make a superb bike for the Motorhome. They are a superb way to explore a town or city. No need to lock them outside a cafe, out of sight... take them into the Cafe instead.

>> How quickly can I fold and unfold my Brommie? <<

• Like Like x 2
  15. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Nice vid (y)

16. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

My nearly completed man cave
    Tacx Fortius ready to go apart from the need of a new analogue HR transmitter strap then I can re start a training regime
    My Brompton should arrive this week

IMG_9358.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  17. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

I have a similar man-cave..with similar wall-hangings.

I have also spent many an hour watching "Sufferfest" whilst simultaneously freezing and sweating in a cold garage, on the Turbo.

I go to Wattbike classes now though, at my local bike shop. I find I can push much harder when there's some peer-pressure (and everyone's numbers are on display on a large TV).

18. Andy H

Andy H Funster

We like to cycle a bit, but haven't done much for a while. Hoping to change that soon, and when we get the moho, plan to take the old MB's and tow the dog behind us.

Humberto, I'll be seriously impressed if you're planning to cycle up to Col du Lauteret and Galibier with all that luggage.

At 58 & 59 we consider ourselves to young for e-bikes, especially as a couple of our friends recently represented Team GB in the Euro Triathlon Championships in Austria a couple of weeks ago, both in the 60/64 age group. One of them winning a silver medal for her efforts! They both go up an age group next year and plan to keep going. If we bought e-bikes we'd be laughed out of the Turbo Cave. However, I can see they have their uses for anyone who might have health or injury issues.

Andy

• Like Like x 1
  19. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

I too am a keen cyclist although nowhere near as active as I used to be. It's over 20 years since I last took part in a competitive event, which was a 12 hour time trial. I celebrated my 60th a couple of years ago by cycling up Mt Ventoux to pay my respects to my boyhood hero Tom Simpson. Nowadays my riding is mainly pottering about on gentle trails and quiet backroads, usually accompanied by my wife.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

I'd love to ride the Brompton up some of those iconic climbs but, in reality, I'll be taking some Carbon-fibre as well....
    Domane 1920x1280.jpg

• Like Like x 3