Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Mrs D has a folding mountain bike. Its a cheap one and is ok but she finds it harder to ride than her standard bike. Seems to take more effort.

Now it has big knobbly tyres on it and as she never goes off road my idea was to have the tyres changed for road ones which might also be a bit narrower.

Will this make a difference or am I talking rot as usual.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Mrs D has a folding mountain bike. Its a cheap one and is ok but she finds it harder to ride than her standard bike. Seems to take more effort.

Now it has big knobbly tyres on it and as she never goes off road my idea was to have the tyres changed for road ones which might also be a bit narrower.

Will this make a difference or am I talking rot as usual.

No it will make a difference.
The thiner and smoother the easier it will be. However the biggest factor to consider will be the weight. Not the Weight of Mrs Barry but the weight of the bike....

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Your on the right track :Smile: There are tyres with a smooth centre section and light knobbling on the edges-these decrease the resistance.
Sorry I can't remember offhand what they are called,or find a link just now.

Mike

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/city-tyres/ Have a look at these-just found them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Cheers thanks all.

I think the bike has 26" wheels. Might well give it a go. The bike I think is 15KG. Actually that sounds a lot.

I think its one of these Link Removed

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Barry

My £2500 mountain bike is only just under that weight! Don't worry about the weight of the bike, just concentrate on reducing the rolling resistance with 'city' tyres pumped up well hard.

It is the rotating weight which makes the real difference in how the bike accelerates.
Light wheels and tyres count for more than a few pounds off the frame and components!

Mind you, the rider can shave off a couple of pounds by leaving a number two in the cassette toilet before embarking on a ride!!!::bigsmile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi Barry

My £2500 mountain bike is only just under that weight! Don't worry about the weight of the bike, just concentrate on reducing the rolling resistance with 'city' tyres pumped up well hard.

It is the rotating weight which makes the real difference in how the bike accelerates.
Light wheels and tyres count for more than a few pounds off the frame and components!

Mind you, the rider can shave off a couple of pounds by leaving a number two in the cassette toilet before embarking on a ride!!!::bigsmile:

TOO MUCH INFORMATION...:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007

I would have thought and this is only a guess mind you that a bike will only accelerate as fast as you pedal it:RollEyes:

Just a thought !!:RollEyes:

andi4x4

Free Member
Aug 24, 2010
Ramsey, Isle of man
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Make sure you get the right 26" tyres ! 26" mountain bike wheel is not the same as a 26" road bike/hybrid/racer wheel ! Many of the modern "cross" or "Town and Country" type bikes may look like a lightweight Mountain bike, but they have 700c or even 29" wheels these days. I made that mistake many years ago before I got into racing. If you are not sure, just ask at your local cycle shop for city or street tyres for your bike and be sure to take the tyre measurement off the side of the tyre !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

I would have thought and this is only a guess mind you that a bike will only accelerate as fast as you pedal it:RollEyes:

Just a thought !!:RollEyes:

Nope.. I can actually confirm this statement is 100% true..
In fact it is both pedal cycles AND motorcycles..
I supply carbon fibre wheels to the real triers and they cost £1200 to £2000 EACH.. They spend that sort of lolly purely cos it really does make a difference :thumb:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
If the bike has rear suspension then adjust it to hard as too soft a suspension absorbs a lot of the effort from the pedals.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
barryd;41529 Now it has big knobbly tyres on it and as she never goes off road my idea was to have the tyres changed for road ones which might also be a bit narrower. Will this make a difference or am I talking rot as usual.[/QUOTE said:
if she does not ride off road, changing tyres to road ones will certainly make a easier , and quicker ride on roads
regards

ps I am no cycle expert

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks everyone. So it seems its not such a daft idea then.

Not sure it has suspension but will look at that as well.

Thanks again
Barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back