lycra flouro duck.jpg

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Why is it if I go for my usual ride on my full carbon, £5K Colnago road bike wearing my most 'obvious' lycra, hunting the hills for a bit of lung busting fun, I get this. Motorists, mostly MacDonalds scoffing BMW 'drivers' (still with barbeque sauce on the third chin) wish to threaten to deny my Granchildren a Grandfather,,,,, Why do they wish to carve me up, brake for no reason in front, make finger gestures as they speed off, throw things out and I even had one spit at me....
:swear2:
HOWEVER.

If I do the same route, same time, same day on my £200 Boardman hybrid, donned in my jeans tucked in my socks, a fleece and a different helmet then I get nothing but courteous drivers, waving me out, giving me room when they overtake and some even let me go into the cyclist block at traffic lights,,,,, :clap2: What the hell is the difference,.... it's me, the same cyclist Oh Please!?
Anyone care to work out the logic in the first example? Anyone have similar reactions?
Yes, bikes are both insured (comp), I pay VED on all vehicles (inc PLG on my 3850kg MoHo) :Eeek: and I have cycled for donkey's with max no claims - so not too much of an idiot.Regards,
Trikeman. :wink:
Hi @Trikeman .... This week I was sitting having a coffee at the top of the 6500ft mount Olympus in Cyprus when a mad lycra clad Englishman arrived on a carbon Colnago road bike after having found his own three hours of lung busting heaven.

He sat next to me and ordered a full English and a pot of tea followed by a bar of chocolate. I was a cyclist myself so when he got his breath back I got chatting to him. He had left his home at sea level at 7am and taken just three hours non stop to get to the top. We checked his computer and he had used just 1800 calories :( hardly enough to cover his breakfast;) Great achievement though...........(y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi @Trikeman .... This week I was sitting having a coffee at the top of the 6500ft mount Olympus in Cyprus when a mad lycra clad Englishman arrived on a carbon Colnago road bike after having found his own three hours of lung busting heaven.

He sat next to me and ordered a full English and a pot of tea followed by a bar of chocolate. I was a cyclist myself so when he got his breath back I got chatting to him. He had left his home at sea level at 7am and taken just three hours non stop to get to the top. We checked his computer and he had used just 1800 calories :( hardly enough to cover his breakfast;) Great achievement though...........(y)

I used to do that ride on my Colnago (and the Dogma) and burning 1800 calories on the way up is a little 'conservative' - however, I can understand the bar of chocolate for the ride back down, I'm sure I would burn twice as much going back down,,,, just gritting teeth and hanging on - ah' the smell of red hot cork pads on carbon wheels - memories.
That is a hell of a ride, especially in the heat at the lower reaches - even at 07.00 it can get quite hellish.

Trikeman.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I used to do that ride on my Colnago (and the Dogma) and burning 1800 calories on the way up is a little 'conservative' - however, I can understand the bar of chocolate for the ride back down, I'm sure I would burn twice as much going back down,,,, just gritting teeth and hanging on - ah' the smell of red hot cork pads on carbon wheels - memories.
That is a hell of a ride, especially in the heat at the lower reaches - even at 07.00 it can get quite hellish.

Trikeman.

You seem to know your bikes...any recommendations for a cheap MTB (so my wife can keep up with me on the rough'ish stuff where road bikes fear to tread (not mountain) maybe a hybrid will do

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I have a great hybrid, and not too expensive either, great kit for the price and easy to maintain - it's the Boardman Team Hybrid, Sram wide range gears and hydraulic discs. Get rid of the crappy tyres they come with and fit some Continental 4 seasons and you have a bike for a very long time, nice and light, manoeuvrable, and comfortable too.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...|adp:1o1|kw:&gclid=CKCD-qbVv8YCFUnItAodhAkHEg

Don't have to buy new either if they are a little expensive - eBay is your friend.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Trikeman.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have a great hybrid, and not too expensive either, great kit for the price and easy to maintain - it's the Boardman Team Hybrid, Sram wide range gears and hydraulic discs. Get rid of the crappy tyres they come with and fit some Continental 4 seasons and you have a bike for a very long time, nice and light, manoeuvrable, and comfortable too.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/boardman-hybrid-team-bike?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Bikes-_-Hybrid+Bikes+and+Classic+Bikes-_-592677&_$ja=tsid:60494|cgn:GoogleShopping|kw:592677&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=xpmpawwlq&istBid=tztl&_$$ja=cgid:16790764204|tsid:35522|cid:214996084|lid:51494604247|nw:g|crid:73916133724|rnd:7521239061896360551|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1&__ja=cgid:16790764204|tsid:35522|cid:214996084|lid:51494604247|nw:g|crid:73916133724|rnd:7521239061896360551|dvc:c|adp:1o1|kw:&gclid=CKCD-qbVv8YCFUnItAodhAkHEg

Don't have to buy new either if they are a little expensive - eBay is your friend.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Trikeman.

Thanks for that....found one on London Gumtree negotating now, all the ebay ones miles away so not practical. looks a nice bike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back