Cycling Conundrum.....? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Finally please just take time to remember that in any accident between a car and a cyclist, the car is at worst just likely to have damage to the paintwork, whilst the cyclist is likely to be killed!

It is a pity that a great number of cyclist's do not realise this seemingly obvious fact and ride accordingly.

I do ride a bicycle, but not in the UK, too many idiots on the road of all ilks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It is a pity that a great number of cyclist's do not realise this seemingly obvious fact and ride accordingly.

I do ride a bicycle, but not in the UK, too many idiots on the road of all ilks.

Seconded, but Mrs Bassett and self do ride here.................apparently she likes risky, edgy things........(she didn't tell me that till I was 60+!:crying1: )

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Why is it if I go for my usual ride on my full carbon, £5K Colnago road bike wearing my most 'obvious' lycra, hunting the hills for a bit of lung busting fun, I get this. Motorists, mostly MacDonalds scoffing BMW 'drivers' (still with barbeque sauce on the third chin) wish to threaten to deny my Granchildren a Grandfather,,,,, Why do they wish to carve me up, brake for no reason in front, make finger gestures as they speed off, throw things out and I even had one spit at me....
:swear2:

HOWEVER.

If I do the same route, same time, same day on my £200 Boardman hybrid, donned in my jeans tucked in my socks, a fleece and a different helmet then I get nothing but courteous drivers, waving me out, giving me room when they overtake and some even let me go into the cyclist block at traffic lights,,,,, :clap2: What the hell is the difference,.... it's me, the same cyclist Oh Please!?

Anyone care to work out the logic in the first example? Anyone have similar reactions?

Yes, bikes are both insured (comp), I pay VED on all vehicles (inc PLG on my 3850kg MoHo) :Eeek: and I have cycled for donkey's with max no claims - so not too much of an idiot.

Regards,

Trikeman. :wink:
Lone Lycra clad riders are unlikely to upset people, however, what does upset drivers are what I call the Sunday morning "Bradley's". A large group of cyclists clad in Lycra (male, female, thin, lumpy etc) totally oblivious to the queue of traffic behind them because they are riding 4 abreast and there are over 20 in the pack....

I drive and I cycle so see the issue from both sides, but for me it comes down to being considerate to other road users, whether you be driving or cycling.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Why is it if I go for my usual ride on my full carbon, £5K Colnago road bike wearing my most 'obvious' lycra, hunting the hills for a bit of lung busting fun, I get this. Motorists, mostly MacDonalds scoffing BMW 'drivers' (still with barbeque sauce on the third chin) wish to threaten to deny my Granchildren a Grandfather,,,,, Why do they wish to carve me up, brake for no reason in front, make finger gestures as they speed off, throw things out and I even had one spit at me....
:swear2:

HOWEVER.

If I do the same route, same time, same day on my £200 Boardman hybrid, donned in my jeans tucked in my socks, a fleece and a different helmet then I get nothing but courteous drivers, waving me out, giving me room when they overtake and some even let me go into the cyclist block at traffic lights,,,,, :clap2: What the hell is the difference,.... it's me, the same cyclist Oh Please!?

Anyone care to work out the logic in the first example? Anyone have similar reactions?

Yes, bikes are both insured (comp), I pay VED on all vehicles (inc PLG on my 3850kg MoHo) :Eeek: and I have cycled for donkey's with max no claims - so not too much of an idiot.

Regards,

Trikeman. :wink:

Blimey how did I miss this! excellent!:D

believe me pot bellied lycra's get more grief:cry:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Lone Lycra clad riders are unlikely to upset people, however, what does upset drivers are what I call the Sunday morning "Bradley's". A large group of cyclists clad in Lycra (male, female, thin, lumpy etc) totally oblivious to the queue of traffic behind them because they are riding 4 abreast and there are over 20 in the pack....

I drive and I cycle so see the issue from both sides, but for me it comes down to being considerate to other road users, whether you be driving or cycling.
It is a problem but the answer is not easy. If they all cycle one behind the other they form a line much longer than it would be if they ride two abreast. I'm afraid motorists just have to be patient and wait until there is a stretch of road long enough and wide enough to overtake in safety. If its a Sunday morning what's the rush? :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I will never, ever, ever understand why old, tubby, non cycling club cyclists get up in all that lycra gear to ride their push bikes around.

Obviously it is fair enough if you really are competing but not if you are just pottering around pretending...

JJ :cool:

but do they?..an urban myth I suggest.

like the OP I tuck my jeans/joggers in my socks for local short runs. and wear lycra for longer runs, simply for my own health/survival and to save tax payers money! As otherwise I would most probably need to be ambulanced to a hospital to have my knickers surgically removed for my bottom and ball bag removed:LOL:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you had to endure the lycra clad louts in london everyday you wouldnt make much effort on their behalf
why is most lycra black i would make it law that all bike wear should be day glow pink or orange
i very nearly killed a cyclist last winter or so he told me because i will hold my hands up i didn't see him wet dark night he was in black from head to toe riding a black bike and undertaking the stopped traffic on the inside yes he did have three leds on the front but they are invisible with the glare from headlights on a wet road
then last week in broad daylight i had a woman try to squeeze passed my van whilst i was reversing into a gap almost squashed her with the front i had actually seen her in my mirror when i stopped just past the gap and saw her stop foot down so i reversed in and luckily looked back up to check the front of the van and there she was almost in the passenger seat

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think its the minority of commuter louts that are the problem, getting all a bad name. I've had runs ins with them when driving and they look bloody possessed!

Not being seen is shear suicidal:(

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Ah' Brooks, the saddle for the discerning Gentleman.

The most comfortable saddles I have ever ridden are ones without anything on them - no leather, no sponge,,,,, nowt - but fits my sitbones perfect. Pure carbon and only 90 grams. I have three of them.(y)
Broken Link Removed
Trikeman.;)

You sure that's a saddle? Looks like a shoehorn to me! Ouch

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I will never, ever, ever understand why old, tubby, non cycling club cyclists get up in all that lycra gear to ride their push bikes around.

Obviously it is fair enough if you really are competing but not if you are just pottering around pretending...

JJ :cool:
We wear Lycra shorts because they have padded bits to protect your tender parts. Nothing to do with posing. Just don't want to say 'ouch' every time we sit down for a week.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I wear lycra under my fluorescent outer clothing :)

Bright pink top and purple helmet - still had a van driver say he hadn't seen me.... he got a lot of abuse from another approaching driver (not from me) - the van driver was turning right, tere was a car coming from the right and I was on the opposite carriage way trvelling from the van driver's left ..... mind it might have been better if the van driver had not been on the phone when he pulled out of the minor road. Good job I was expecting him to pull out without looking.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I wear lycra under my fluorescent outer clothing :)

Bright pink top and purple helmet - still had a van driver say he hadn't seen me.... he got a lot of abuse from another approaching driver (not from me) - the van driver was turning right, tere was a car coming from the right and I was on the opposite carriage way trvelling from the van driver's left ..... mind it might have been better if the van driver had not been on the phone when he pulled out of the minor road. Good job I was expecting him to pull out without looking.

sexiness incarnate!:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back