Cycle lock. Brilliant but flawed ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Charlie, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Saw this on the AS Owners forum... Its a new cycle lock that seems to have it nailed apart from one I think very important detail .. IE its to blooming short ?

Link
    http://www.litelok.com/

A lot of money at (from memory) 75 quid for one and 150 for two..

For me a lock needs to go round whatever the immovable object is plus through the frame and both wheels.. Shame this one wont do it or I would have one .

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

Just a little bit longer and you could wear it around your waist as a belt while riding.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

If it was twice as long I would buy one!!

6. Granjan

Granjan Funster

I have pre-ordered 2 at least they are light !

7. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

They cost more than our bikes........................

The Tincas

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. G T and Dottie

G T and Dottie Funster

In my case a damned sight longer!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. NickNic

Quite a bit less than it's competitors. £200 for a decent lock isn't unusual.

Not aware of any proper (i.e. Sold Secure Gold) locks that will do that without removing the front wheel. Cheapo cable types might but they aren't the same thing at all and not what this lock is competing with.

10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

My only concern is that although they've tested the strap itself they haven't seen how easy it is to smash the coupler, or drill out the pin and whether that would allow the bike to be released ... for the price I'd like to have FULL info on testing on every part of the design.

• Like Like x 2
  11. NickNic

That's what the Sold Secure Gold standard is all about. It's not just some random sticker they've found, that certification is pretty comprehensive. The sort of info you're talking about is obviously highly commercially sensitive so there's no way anyone in their right mind would make it publicly available and is the reason why they go to the trouble of obtaining industry standard certification.

The marketing video showing the "attacks" on the strap is nothing more than that. They aren't real tests.

As for the price, as I said in my last post it's priced right at the bottom end of it's target market. Most of it's competitors are well over double the price.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I had no idea locks for bikes could be so expensive ! There must come a point where the risk taken is more economical than the lock ? By that I mean some cycles can be cheap and its not guaranteed they will be stolen .

My bike is not of the cheap variety but there comes a point where locks become unrealistic in price. Unless they really do stand up to the claims made ..

I would and may buy one but not till I've seen reviews on them and have heard what buyers like you Nick have to say when you actually get one in your hands.

I look forward to a NickNic review !

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

It's been awarded Gold security status, which covers the whole device
    Can't imagine Gold standard would be awarded if the test was not comprehensive

• Like Like x 3
  14. NickNic

Nice bike (y) My road bike is from Specialized.

How much is unrealistic? If you bought your Carve new then one of these locks is somewhere between just under and just over 5% the cost of the bike. Looking at it in those terms it's not so much.

The other thing is the weight. You don't want to end up with a cheap lock that weighs more than the bike.

Obviously if your bike cost £40 from Halfords and weighs half a ton then you wouldn't bother with a decent lock.

I dunno about a review. As long as it weighs what they claim there's not going to be much more to say about it as long as my bike doesn't get nicked :LOL: I'm certainly not going to have a crack at breaking into it for you :LOL:(y)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Nick I meant unrealistic for those who have cheaper bikes. I mean a bike can be had for £100 quid second hand.. My bike like yours was not cheap so the point where the cost becomes unrealistic rises ..

Now come on just have a wee go at busting one ? :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

We've ordered two locks and are looking forward to giving them a good test
    I particularly like the fact that if you order a pair of locks that they share the same key
    A lightweight alternative to a traditional bike chain is very welcome

17. NickNic

That's my thought. It's not so bad with a mountain bike but with a road bike the weight is critical.

It's pointless spending a fortune getting the bike as light as possible only to put all the weight back on again with the lock.

This one's a third the weight of a similar length Kryptonite Evo

18. Minxy Girl

Why do they only do one size? They aren't that long at only 29 inches - look how tight up to the lampost the bike in the picture is and also 'stored' on the bike's frame - if you're trying to secure a bike with a larger frame or to an object/railings where you can't get the bike so close then you could find you have a lock that you can't use at all. They suggest if you need a longer one you buy two ... this is far from ideal - if they make different lengths and sell them at sensible prices, eg £75 for the small one shown at 29", then say £85 for 40", £95 for 50" etc, then that would make more sense but having to buy 2 is IMV very silly - whilst people will spend a fair bit on a good lock, to have to spend another £75 just because you need it a bit longer is not really on and will probably cost them sales - I for one would be interested in getting one which is longer as we always lock our bikes together to an object it so as it stands one wouldn't be long enough and I wouldn't pay £150 for 2 of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I think in time the company will wise up to the fact that more lengths will sell better. After all one longer one will weigh less than two locked together.

These locks do look good and the appeal to us that count weight is obvious .

• Like Like x 2
  20. Minxy Girl

I've just emailed them asking them about doing longer lengths and explaining why, so I'll let you know if I get a response.

• Like Like x 3