Cycle lanes should they be used? (1 Viewer)

Should it be compulsory to use a cycle lane if provided?

• Yes

Votes: 42 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Yes but Inexperienced only to use

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Driving along and a cyclist just came out of a side road without stopping and if I was not aware I could have hit him (braked hard) I wound down the window and said to him "there is a cycle lane on the pavement" he replied "not for all of us" :Eeek: what is the point of providing the cycle lanes if (the select few experienced...ALLEGEDLY....).can decide wether they use them or not.

So should it be compulsory to use a cycle line if provided?

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Given the recent changes in the RT act, if you hit a cyclist you will be held responsible unless exceptional and provable circumstances are in place.

With that in mind perhaps it should be amended to say when a cycle lane is available the bias may alter towards the driver as by failing to use the cycle lane the rider has already demonstrated a failure in the duty of care.

As an aside, perhaps if local councils provided MORE cycle lanes more people would use them
Woman is VERY nervous cycling on a main road.. to the point it usually limits the places we can actually visit on the bikes, so for us cycle lanes are pretty much essential

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Given the recent changes in the RT act, if you hit a cyclist you will be held responsible unless exceptional and provable circumstances are in place.

Quite right, too ::bigsmile:

The bigger your vehicle, the greater your responsibility.

(In an ideal world :RollEyes: )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Given the generally appalling quality of cycle lanes in the UK, I cannot see that it would be fair to insist that cyclists use them to the exclusion of roads. Often cycle lanes switch from one side of the road to the other, requiring the cyclist to dismount and cross over - sometimes using a traffic light to hold up motor vehicles. Other lanes are nothing more than a narrow designated strip down the left of a normal carriageway, marked by a broken white line. There is nothing to stop a vehicle swerving into this 'so called' protected area - and they often do.
I am all for a decent cycle lane network but at present this country just doesn't do the job properly. Compared with the present network being extended up the west coast of Scotland and including Oban and Fort William, or some of the continental systems England is not even at the starting blocks.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
our local cycle lane got ridiculed in the press a few years ago when it opened, all 50yards of it. it was put in place to protect cyclists from traffic on a new mini roundabout, but rarely gets used as it means the cyclist has to dismount and cross the road rather than just pedal around. problem is theres no room for 2 lanes on the roundabout and anything bigger than a small car needs all the space to get round. lorries and busses regularly clip the signs or mount the curb and drive on the plants. A stupid bit of road planning that should be replaced by traffic lights.

back to cycle lanes though, if a safe properly designed one is supplied they should be used for the safety of all road users

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Cars and bikes should be separated where possible for their own safety , I would never ride a bike on a busy road, it would scare me to death

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not sure if you are a cyclist but I would guess that you have not straddled a cycle for some years. Great theory of yours but in practice it dont work.

Cyclists would know that pedestrians tend to walk in cycle lanes cars park across cycle lanes and lanes stop and start at regular intervals to name just a few.

Motorists don't own the roads neither do cyclists or pedestrians, they have to exist safely together. Just a bit of common sense is all that is needed by all.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
I agree wine are far from perfect and appreciate that some are a joke but on a busy road with cycle lanes surely it should be compulsory. The Highway Code is so outdated in some areas and should be vigorously updated to suit todays roads.

That aside if I had hit him it would have needed a good witness to defend me I believe. Some cyclists are a danger to us all, I have seen them on B & C roads cut the corners on opposite side of road, if a vehicle was coming the other way the it would have been serious.

By the way I cycle and also ride a 50cc scooter so not having a go at cyclists Par Say.

:thumb:

If No then please state why as some have, in fact just voice any opinion

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Motorists don't own the roads neither do cyclists or pedestrians, they have to exist safely together. Just a bit of common sense is all that is needed by all.

No argument , I said for their own safety nowt to do with rights to be there, no matter whose at fault, fall off a bike under a car and you are probably dead

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We always use cycle lanes where they are available but agree that this country has made very little provision.

We hardly ever use our bikes at home because the cycle lane provision in our area of Middlesbrough is pathetic at best.

The local council has (or, at least, had) a cycling officer who had plenty of ideas but his budget was tiny. It would be easy to make pavements on many of the routes into town dual use (as they are wide enough) but councillor members have no interest in doing so, so officers are unable to proceed.

The cyclist in the OP, though, will deserve the damage to his bike (and, maybe himself) if he continues to cycle in such an irresponsible manner.

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We cycle quite a lot while out in the van, the times we come across cars parked in the cycle lane or the cycle lane just disapear, Hubby often ask's where are we supposed to disapear to.

It would be unfair to say we do not have good cycle ways, we do but they are the dedicated ones on old railway lines etc, and great for a relaxing ride.

Having said that the cycle roads on main roads etc really do need a lot of updating before they could be made compulsory.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I do use cycle lanes when appropriate, but I voted No because once you make cyclists always use cycle lanes then it is a short step to banning cyclists from roads.

I have always believed there are bad cyclists, drivers and yes pedestrians.

The road is to be shared by all and everyone should use them with care and attention.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I would never restrict my ÂŁ1000 pound road bike to using just cycle lanes.

The quality of them is appalling.

Plus Im a cyclist, the rules of the road don't apply to me anyway. :winky:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We cycle quite a lot while out in the van, the times we come across cars parked in the cycle lane or the cycle lane just disapear, Hubby often ask's where are we supposed to disapear to.

It would be unfair to say we do not have good cycle ways, we do but they are the dedicated ones on old railway lines etc, and great for a relaxing ride.

Having said that the cycle roads on main roads etc really do need a lot of updating before they could be made compulsory.

Hi Carol
Have you tried the new link across the marshes to Burton? From the Quay docks follow the cycle path across the wooden railway bridge, head through Zone 3 on the industrial park past Toyota head to the rifle ranges and cross a brand new boardwalk bridge about 1/4 mile long, follow cycle path to Burton, we went last Sunday and by coincidence arrived outside The Harp on Burton marshes just as it opened at 12 o clock:thumb:, nice ride, about 7 miles from the docks:thumb:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I used to be a very keen cyclist.

100 miles a day, 8 or 10 hours in the saddle was unremarkable.

Now, my two oldest kids are asking to go on cycle trips and the very thought terrifies me.

There are so many teenage kids thinking they're dead gangsta screaming around with the windows down and the system up, HGV drivers who think that it's a sign of weakness to ever take their foot off the accelerator or to stay on their own side of the solid white line, innumerable purblind owld gimmers incompetently driving huge white glassfibre boxes.

The roads are seriously scary places these days and cyclists are the least of our worries.

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I voted no because I cycle most days and believe me, all I want to do is get away from traffic, most of which is happy to overtake me without steering :Eeek:

However, the cycle lanes next to roads in my town are rubbish surface full of parked cars and even a caravan!!, so I'll take my chances with the traffic.

When the cycle route goes away from roads, that is different altogether and I use these a lot.

Check out http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/information/national-cycle-network

I did a ride in Scotland last month, Edinburgh to Glasgow and the route followed the Union Canal and it was fantastic!, no traffic for 3 days, brilliant.

On a different topic, do we think it should be compulsory for cars to go in BUS lanes?

Andy :winky:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
NO, Cycle lanes are ok if your having a bimble, but if you want to go anywhere fast or are on a training ride then they are hopeless, I dought if Bradley uses em:winky:

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
The title states "Cycle lanes should they be used?"

To clarify the question......

If provided and it is on your designated route.....should Cycle lanes be used?
This question was not related to ....Non route taken.... Sorry if question confused you. :thumb:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Where I live in Market Harborough the cycle lane outside the Police station is always full of parked cars of those who work in the Police station and on the other side of the road is a school, so twice a day the cycle lane is blocked by motorist dropping off their little darlings.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Driving along and a cyclist just came out of a side road without stopping and if I was not aware I could have hit him (braked hard) I wound down the window and said to him "there is a cycle lane on the pavement" he replied "not for all of us" :Eeek: what is the point of providing the cycle lanes if (the select few experienced...ALLEGEDLY....).can decide wether they use them or not.

So should it be compulsory to use a cycle line if provided?

Your thoughts?

Of course not. Cycle paths on pavements are only suitable for young children. Going along at 20mph, with pedestrians and having to give way to every driveway is extremely dangerous.

Your problem was that a cyclist failed to give way, which is already an offence.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Many cycle lanes have been installed by councillors/town planners that have not been on a bike since school days. To stay in some cycle lanes is just too dangerous and the planners should locked up for criminal negligence. When out with the family, I prefer to dominate my lane, cars only pass me when I allow them.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Where I live in Market Harborough the cycle lane outside the Police station is always full of parked cars of those who work in the Police station and on the other side of the road is a school, so twice a day the cycle lane is blocked by motorist dropping off their little darlings.

Think yourself lucky you have a police station.

Ours closed down and is currently for sale:Doh:

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
If the lane is there, then the cyclist should have the option to use it, cycle on the roads and it is reasonable to expect the cyclist will follow the rules as you would expect any other road user should (careful choice of words).

Pavements are for pedestrians, if you cycle on a pavement and you hit a pedestrian, no defence. I needed for a time to assist a disabled person who wanted to get around, cars and wheelie bins were stationary so at least could be negotiated, a cycle was terrifying to someone with limited mobility.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Looks like all answers so far are from bikers.

I don`t ride a push bike and if i did i would not want to ride on a road. I would make a event of it and go off road or on closed /private tracks.

Expecting drivers of small and huge vehicles to dance around push bikes while trying to get from a to b to earn a living is not on as push bikers are there for fun.
They may say they are riding to work ,well use the bike lanes , if there is not enough of them ,sort it out with the council, drivers have to fight all the time for road improvments.
We are in the 21st century and have moved on from bikes and horses now for transport ,so if you want to risk life in the modern day traffic fit in or buy a car.
What gets me is when they ride 3 or 4 abreast accross a B road holding all up for miles-- get in out the way or get a car or pay road tax on a bike then you can moan.

Seems the push bikers have a grudge against drivers-- shooting accross lights and junctions and dont even glance at the traffic--- if i knocked one off ,who gets done -- ME.
They ride around here in the winter with no lights--if i hit one ,who gets done --ME.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back