currency abroad

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by The rehctub, Dec 31, 2014.

1. The rehctub

The rehctub Funster

Could do with some help as to best way to handle currency whilst on trip thru (France on to Spain for January ,February , and March ) with out incurring lots of charges

Regards
    Gordon

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Get a pre loaded euro card, lots of them , some funsters have their own favourites, but we have Mytravelcash, not the best conversion rates but there are no costs and you get 1% back on purchases

• Like Like x 1
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

A good start would be to put CaxtonFX into our search engine, or maybe just Caxton. That will give you masses of leads.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Pre loaded euro card is best, too many people carry large amounts of cash ( and on one bundle! ) and the "bad men" out there know this. Take enough cash to see you through a week or so and use the card for the rest. Less to worry about. Enjoy your break.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Take hole in the wall cards for N and P or Nationwide building society.. work any where, no charges, good exchange rates....

• Like Like x 5
  6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

More than one type of card would be wise. My visa debit card from Barclays gets a very good rate of exchange and no additional charges but I also use a post office money card which is pre-loaded, but at a poorer rate of exchange than I get from the debit card.

7. chaser

chaser Funster

Problem with useing your debit or credit cards is if you lose them or have them nicked is they have access to your whole bank account and you stand to lose a load of money , never mind the hassle getting them stopped and geting new cards and stuff, whereas with the eurocards you only stand to lose what's on them, could be quite a bit admitted but at least it doesn't get mixed up with all your other stuff, we have about £500 in ours and take enough cash out for the day and use it as a credit card where we can which is most places apart from motorway tolls and self service only petrol stations, and then just load some more on by phone or online when we need to.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

fit a safe (properly) take a combination of cash and cards (not everything in safe either) VISA always returns as near bank rate as you can get, better than any prepaid.

9. jumar

jumar Funster

Santander customers get good deals on Cash withdrawals with Debit card, and credit card usage ( Not Cash withdrawals). If you are a Santander customer, contact your branch. I use this as my prime access to cash. Other methods I use cannot be disclosed on this forum.

10. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

Nationwide Debit card is a must. No withdrawal charges, use any ATM in both France and Spain PLUS;
    Free European travel insurance which I called upon in France this year for an emergency operation. No problem paid out as good as gold.

11. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

+1 on Nationwide, but also a Euro cash card. We use both, it really is the best of both worlds.

12. The rehctub

The rehctub Funster

All advice very much appreciated, great more knowledge about taking funds with us ,thanks to all your replies

13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Nationwide debit card cash withdrawals are NOT FREE if you don't have a current account with them for which you pay a monthly fee. Credit card cash withdrawals are not free 'normally' either:

Nationwide - Purchases abroad:
    • debit card: 2% commission.
    • credit card: no commission for purchases IF you have earned a sufficient 'allowance' to offset it, otherwise 2%.
    Cash withdrawals abroad:
    • debit card: 2% commission plus £1 transaction fee
    • credit card: 2.5% commission of the cash amount (minimun £3) plus interest on the whole amount from the day you draw out the cash at an ATM

See the below link and click on the tabs to see more details if required:

• Like Like x 2
  14. chaser

chaser Funster

There's no way of getting anything free , or any great difference between the cards but my point was security of your bank account and not carrying a lot of cash on you with the euro cash cards, and on the point of conversion you can load up your euro card at favourable rates any time that they look good.

15. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

We have a Halifax Clarity Credit card. We also have a Halifax current account.
    We loaded the CC with cash so that we were in credit. We drew money out on it so that even after we'ed done it we were still in credit and continued that way until we got back, making sure that we were in credit, feeding it from the Current Account online. (not much)LOL.
    We were not charged anything and we got the perfect rate on both cash and purchases.
    PS. On day 1 I went into a Spar type shop in a village. I was hoping to find an ATM in the village but there wasn't one. The Spar type shop had a stand alone ATM inside, the type that screws you in the UK.
    I drew out €140 expecting it to be treated as a cash withdrawal but, later on the hols. I discovered that it had been treated as a purchase of goods. Result!!!

To confirm, we were NOT charged to remove cash and we were NOT charged anything on purchases. The rate we got was not just good. It was the Interbank Rate for that day.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Minxy Girl

We have CaxtonFX, FairFX and Ukash cards which offer the following:
    • Fee-free purchases
    • 'Chip & PIN' secure
    The top-up amounts methods and some fees are slightly different:

CaxtonFX - European Traveller Card: https://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/how-they-work

• Minimum load = £100/€150
    • Load the card using your UK debit card online, by phone, or via SMS text
    • Withdraw cash at ATMs without charge in card usage zones (some ATM providers may charge)

FairFX - Euro Currency Card: https://www.fairfx.com/product/cards
    • Minimum load = £50/€60
    • Load the card using your UK debit card by phone or via SMS text (NOT online)
    • Note that there is now a €1.50 fee for ATM withdrawals which it didn't use to have (some ATM providers may charge also)

UKCash - Travel Money Card: https://www.ukash.com/en-GB/products/travelmoneycard/
    • Minimum load = £50
    • Load the card using your UK debit card online only
    • Withdraw cash at ATMs without charge in card usage zones (some ATM providers may charge)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  17. Minxy Girl

With the exception of the 'anomaly' of the machine you used in the Spar shop, if you draw out cash at an ATM with your credit card you would be charged interest from the day you take out the money .... so there is a charge.

How much will I be charged for withdrawing cash abroad?

You will not be charged a fee by us for withdrawing cash from an ATM (cashpoint) anywhere in the world. Some ATM providers charge a fee, but this should be made clear to you at the time of withdrawal and is unfortunately outside of our control. You will still be charged interest from the date that the withdrawal is made, but unlike some credit cards which charge a higher rate of cash, you will be charged the same competitive rate as if you had made a purchase.

http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/#foreign_exchange

18. chaser

chaser Funster

I have found if you buy euros with a pound credit card , it's classed as a purchase not drawing cash(y)

19. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

Some people just don't seem able to work out what it's costing them to get cash whilst abroad.
    As far as I know there is only one debit card that is totally free of charges and that is the N&P one. I don't believe there are any credit cards at all, that provide totally free cash withdrawal.
    All the others appear to have a cost, even if it's a monthly account fee.
    I'm sure, that if there are some that are totally free, some one will enlighten me.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 3
  20. Speve

Speve Funster

We try to use our Post office credit card for fuel,groceries and any larger amounts as it does not cost anything as long as you pay it off monthly,we have a safe and take what cash we need.