Cupboard under washbasin, removing ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, May 8, 2013.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

Having been out in the van for a week mostly away from sites , have been having a bit of trouble fitting in the shower/toilet compartment , the one in compass mhs and others, the shower is ok but finding somewhere for your legs when sitting on the toilet is a bit tight. On looking at it I was wondering if you can remove the cupboard under the washbasin without the sink falling down, because that would leave a lot more room. Has anyone done this? Not worried about seeing the pipes and stuff, but just wondered in case someone has done it and found it no better.
    Thanks

2. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

If it's a Thetford Khazi you can swivel it around to suit the angle of your dangle !!:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

Yeah , I know but I am either banging my knees on the door or the cupboard, tried opening cupboard door which was better but the edges are sharp:Sad:

4. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Take the door off and the frame will still support the sink:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Is your washroom like this?

Attached Files:

6. chaser

chaser Funster

Exactly

7. chaser

chaser Funster

Have you got a solution :BigGrin:

8. DesRes

DesRes Funster

I'd be thinking twice about trashing the aesthetics of a perfectly good bathroom, unless it could all be eventually refitted for resale.
    Perhaps the MH does not quite meet your requirements and you need something with a bigger bathroom.
    However, if needs must, perhaps the installation of a "drop down" wall sink unit would free up some space, just a thought...:Smile:

http://www.usedwolverhampton.co.uk/...ION-ETC-DROP-DOWN-SINK-ONLY-COMPLETE_22178429

Last edited: May 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. chaser

chaser Funster

Yeah agree totally . We had a drop down sink in the old van, to be honest we don't use the sink or the cupboard at all just the shower and use the sink in the van but the tap to the shower is combined with the wash basin so didn't want to alter the sink if poss. Julie has no probs with the toilet, (her legs are about half the length of mine) and I can manage but thought a bit more room would make this van perfect.

10. chaser

chaser Funster

Yes that's it, got it out today , no probs , can't believe how much more room there is, and that no one has done the same, put a photo on when I have finished it , got to get something to support the tap now and we are done. No basin now obviously but never used it anyway, just the shower:Smile:

11. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

We look forward to the photo's.
    We have a slightly different problem & layout & have approached a couple of caravan/motorhome repairers, but they don't seem interested in the job, so I am planning to totally re build our washroom over the next winter.

• Like Like x 1
  12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, must say when i did the inside of my trailer i didnt put a sink in the toilet /shower room . a few say they would miss it . i dont and the extra space makes life much easier . plus less to freeze or go wrong . i do think many of the converters try to suit folk but dont really ask whats wanted or needed .

• Like Like x 1
  13. stevensson10

stevensson10

shower

we manage to fit in ours ok but it is a big motorhome but if your not bothered about showing the pipes and things I don't see any problems. if that was the case with us I wouldn't hesitate id take it out so let us know how you go on regards steve n sue:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. chaser

chaser Funster

Now I have got it out , it is going to be easier than I thought, hopefully it will look like its always been like that, left no mark on the wall or anything and the walls are all trimmed even where the sink was, all I have to do is make a sort of 3cornered shelf with a hole in to hold the original shower tap, leave it for a day or two now just to make sure I have got it right, but the toilet for me is perfect now.

15. chaser

chaser Funster

Yes I have had that, they just don't seem to know what you are on about, yet, it must be a problem for many people who just put up with it.

16. RonnieJ

RonnieJ Read Only Funster

Where do you wash your hands after using the toilet if the sink in the kitchen is being used?

17. chaser

chaser Funster

Well there only the two of us, so not going to be big problem and the kitchen sink is right outside the toilet door but one of the things I am looking at before fitting everything back in is a dropdown sink like we had in our old van if I can fit one in without getting back to the original problem of room :Smile:

18. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't know if this worked, so bear with me, but if it has it is the photo that minx put on and you will see how little room there was but now the whole cupboard and sink is gone its a full size shower

Attached Files:

19. chaser

chaser Funster

This is where I'm at , look at the room!!!! No sorry that's the prototype corner bit , a piece of PVC facia

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  20. chaser

chaser Funster

This is the photo I should have had on my last post, this is what the shower room looks like now:thumb:

Attached Files: