Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Came back from Spain last w/e after enjoying 3 months in rural, laid-back, friendly, quiet sites. Fetched up at a Caravan Club site in the south Lakes on our way back home. The dour warden recited the campsite rules like a pre-recorded message - "if you drive in pitch with the peg on your nearside, or reverse in with peg on your offside (or was it vice versa?) and no, you can't park lengthways" and of course there's no restaurant or decent shop and don't be silly we won't be sitting here till 11pm waiting for the odd arrival.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
"Ve haf vays of making you enjoy ze camping experience."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
When we go to the UK, after getting used to the amount of traffic, the thing we find most daunting is shopping in a supermarket. It's like a competition to get round the aisles :LOL:.
We usually go to the big Consum in Totana when we're passing of a morning and you'd think the 3 minute warning had been sounded - nearly empty. Big Carrefours are often quite busy, but they have a sensible queuing system, unlike UK.

I think we have a lot to learn from our neighbours.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We usually go to the big Consum in Totana when we're passing of a morning and you'd think the 3 minute warning had been sounded - nearly empty. Big Carrefours are often quite busy, but they have a sensible queuing system, unlike UK.

Really ??

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Came back from Spain last w/e after enjoying 3 months in rural, laid-back, friendly, quiet sites. Fetched up at a Caravan Club site in the south Lakes on our way back home. The dour warden recited the campsite rules like a pre-recorded message - "if you drive in pitch with the peg on your nearside, or reverse in with peg on your offside (or was it vice versa?) and no, you can't park lengthways" and of course there's no restaurant or decent shop and don't be silly we won't be sitting here till 11pm waiting for the odd arrival.
Didn't know that caravan club sites had to have shops etc nearby . Thought that was the idea of camping.to get away from all that. .hey what do I know only been camping for 45 years .,tent , caravan and now motorhome.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The new wardens have an 'attitude' mate. One I thought was no long gone and defunct.
We arrived at about 12.20, and went to book in. "What are you doing here at this time"? I'm a bit bemused. "You cant arrive here until 13.00" I check my paperwork. It says arrival from 12.00. I show this to the man. "Where have YOU got THAT from"? I explain I copied it from my booking application. "No you havent. The arrival times have changed, and you know it........Anyway, you can just sit there until 13.00" Can I fill the water tank up then? You know, while we wait? "No you cant. You haven't paid"!
So we wandered onto the site, chose a spot, and then went back to the truck. 13.00 arrived. We went to book in. I ask for plot 7. "It might be already occupied"! I explained that we had walked over, and as we were the first to book in..............."You have no RIGHT to just wander around........"
I complained to head office when we got home. Didnt even get a reply, so Kendal is off our go to list now. :(

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We arrived at about 12.20, and went to book in. "What are you doing here at this time"? I'm a bit bemused. "You cant arrive here until 13.00" I check my paperwork. It says arrival from 12.00. I show this to the man. "Where have YOU got THAT from"? I explain I copied it from my booking application. "No you havent. The arrival times have changed, and you know it........Anyway, you can just sit there until 13.00" Can I fill the water tank up then? You know, while we wait? "No you cant. You haven't paid"!
So we wandered onto the site, chose a spot, and then went back to the truck. 13.00 arrived. We went to book in. I ask for plot 7. "It might be already occupied"! I explained that we had walked over, and as we were the first to book in..............."You have no RIGHT to just wander around........"
I complained to head office when we got home. Didnt even get a reply, so Kendal is off our go to list now. :(
He must have transferred from beadnell Bay as that's what I was met with two years ago. The head warden apologised for him saying he had had a bad day . I too wrote to head office complaining about his attitude .however that's the only time I have had to about any of the hardworking wardens .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That is why we are no longer members, give us a nice Aire any day.
Makes us feel smug living on the south coast 20 miles from a channel port we just head south most times we get in the van.:LOL:

OP
OP
G

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I suppose there's good and bad wardens, but one thing we noticed in the sites we visited is that they are either "owner occupied" and/or they employ local people, thus giving locals employment. Same with the on-site bar/restaurant/shop - it all brings in money to the local economy.

One of the great delights is trotting over to reception to get freshly baked bread which several sites manage to do.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

Couldn't find a large supermarket when we were at Totana and don't get me started about the neighbours.:rolleyes:

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

That's a shame, it was a lovely site, we often stopped off in there on the way to and fro Scotland as it was just off the main drag.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

We used to always stop at Ashes lane C&CC (Kendal) site on our way home but by the time we set up and the next day get packed up,we decided it was best just to drive for another couple of hours home.The price and some of the feral kids running riot around the site had absolutely nothing to do with it.:mad:

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
He must have transferred from beadnell Bay as that's what I was met with two years ago. The head warden apologised for him saying he had had a bad day . I too wrote to head office complaining about his attitude .however that's the only time I have had to about any of the hardworking wardens .

We use the CC and have only come across one awkward set of wardens and that was in Scotland, otherwise I've no complaints at all, they seem to get very bad press for some reason, particularly on here.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Yep Tootles have experienced similar in our earlier days in the MH, have turned the van round an gone somewhere else, its one of the main reasons we wild - freedom and away from other peoles crap.. I just cannot be doing with it, I dont know why some campsite wardens are so up their own asses with rules an regulations, feel like offering them a joint an say "Chill out a little"

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
they seem to get very bad press for some reason, particularly on here.
And so where else would you discuss such matters? I have seen just as many, if not more, recommendations to great sites with helpful wardens.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I wonder how many nice, kind people who take a job as wardens of a campsite, turn into bitter, twisted and sad people when over exposed to ackward campsite customers?
I think the keywords there are 'nice', 'kind', and 'customers'. (y) Civility costs nowt, on either side, but membership of the CC does. And if being a warden makes you sad and bad, go work elsewhere and feel glad. :)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
And so where else would you discuss such matters? I have seen just as many, if not more, recommendations to great sites with helpful wardens.

Fair point, there just seems a lot of negativity towards the CC, but as you say I'm sure there are also recommendations

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Fair point, there just seems a lot of negativity towards the CC, but as you say I'm sure there are also recommendations
And as a many year member, I would be the first to applaud 99% of them, but just as 500 rogue football supporters can taint a crowd of 50,000, then one finger up the bum warden can do the same for CC sites.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back