Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Following on from the thread surrounding the story of the fox biting the finger of a baby in London, and the call by some to cull the animals, I have to ask - where do you want it to stop? Stoats, weasels, pine marten, birds of prey, domestic dogs? Elsewhere we have so-called civilised countries aiding and abetting the mass slaughter of the planet's iconic creatures: The rhino, the tiger, elephants just for starters. I cannot always blame the people who kill them. They are frequently impoverished people earning a relative pittance in the multi-million dollar trade in ivory, tiger skins, along with the medicinal benefits of tiger penises and the rest to satisfy demand from China and Japan. For their wholesale slaughter I openly LOATHE these two so-called civilised nations for their wholesale slaughter of our wildlife. Rant over! It would be a sad empty world without our wildlife .....and that includes the fox!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
This is all very well but when wild animals be it a vole or a fox or a wolf or a bear can't find enough to eat in the countryside (or can't get his own territory for the same reason, too many of them and not enough to eat) he packs his knapsack and moves to the town where he can scavenge from dustbins etc.

Then he finds a lady friend who moved last year and they mate, she gives birth behind a gravestone in the churchyard blah di blah di blah.

I mean they cull deer in Scotland - not the nice healthy ones in their breeding prime, the old knackered ones who can't win a rut or may have been injured in a rut or otherwise anyway and won't survive to save them dying in agony and then rotting in a heap.

What IS the solution if it ain't selective culling? By marksmen not bloody amateurs. Still it's a bit hard finding spare marksmen these days with the gun laws having been tightened, isn't it ........

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I understand that nature needs balance and just as we need to kill vermin eg rats and mice to protect ourselves from disease and damage to our environment we will need to control foxes in our urban environment as there is no natural predator to control numbers. Without some control foxes will become a real danger in populated areas where easy food is available especially if any become rabid .

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Foxes can be controlled in any area, urban or rural, there is no law to stop you doing this assuming all the usual caveats.

As to the question if they should be controlled, well they already are in urban areas although to a much less degree than in rural areas for many reasons. Will this new hype increase fox control in urban areas, I think it will and as long a its done correctly then I believe this is correct.

Alternative would be to reintroduce wolves in cities

Last edited:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
You have to keep the numbers down.

More difficult to do in towns....... you cant let those numbers get out of contro

Foxes are hardly a threatened species.

barry:Smile:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

think on people.when one really does kill a child.i do hope is not one you know.then a new song.:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
children

Have you ever watched how some of the so called children behave when coming out of school?

How about culling kids:thumb:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Old Mo's a Beginner ??

[quote=cruiser;720069]think on people.when one really does kill a child.i do hope is not one you know.then a new song.:Blush:[/quote]

While you have a serious point I did notice 1 small thing

Old Mo was always recognised as being the man to beat in terms of
length of time motorhoming but he's an amateur.Really?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MH Model: elddis 400
[HI]Years Motorhoming: 1978[/HI]

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Funny when an animal does something that offends humans a scream goes up to have them destroyed/culled yet when a human commits murder or advocates violence we have groups shouting that it is against their human rights to be executed. The fox or any wild animal is only doing what to them is nature killing for food or survival. what excuse do the humans have?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
think on people.when one really does kill a child.i do hope is not one you know.then a new song.:Blush:

When/if this does happen, then I am sure there will be many, many people who will kill that particular fox...... as it would be the case when dogs HAVE killed children in the past.

As a species we are supposed to have evolved above all others, and have this attitude at times that all other creatures are there for our needs and should they deviate from this then it is our right to kill them, destroy their environment, etc. I often wonder at the word 'humane' and its origin!!!!! Compared to the existence of the dinosaur and its extinction, we are just a few days old and if we keep on as we are then I feel sure that in the future we shall go the same way if we constantly work against Nature. Humane ... well, some people believe we are superior because we 'were made in God's image' .... maybe they are right ... when you look at what goes on in the world with death and destruction and they ask 'is there a God?' .... I would think that one heck of a lot of that is actually caused by mankind and Nature retaliates. Sorry, rant over.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
People are so thick,...if a fox can get in your house and bite your kids, so can a burglar or peadophile, same goes for your garden.

Weve nicked their natural habitat by invading the countryside and changing the face of farming, so best thing to do, is feed them, not kill them.
If we allow a cull of foxes, what do you think the natural progression will be? will it be that all dogs not microchipped under the new govt scheme, will be culled, if not, why not?

Sometimes i despair at the lack of common sense, especially with this and the other recent issue. Stand a horse and a cow in a field side by side...who decides which one its OK to eat? Stand a nuiscance dog and a nuiscance fox side by side, who decided which one its right to kill? Dogs have killed many more people than foxes. Mind you, while the man with the gun is wandering the streets, perhaps he could pop some ferral kids, take out a few of the gangs that intimidate people,.....and OH, why not shoot a couple of tramps just to keep hs eye in:Eeek:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

all i am saying when you have a problem, you have to deal with it.:Angry:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Culling foxes in the countryside (whether by hunting or shooting) means that the rabbit population gets out of hand - so then you get lamping of rabbits. Why not just leave the fox/rabbit population to self-regulate? Maybe 'cos that would deprive gun-happy 'sportsmen' of a bit of fun?

Foxes are opportunists. Make it difficult for them (by the simple expedient of closing the door in the current case!) and they'll look elsewhere for easier pickings.

In this country we have next to no 'dangerous' wildlife. The adder is probably the only lethal occupant - but leave them alone and they'll not bite. What a load of wusses we as a nation must appear to those who live in countries with truly dangerous wildlife. How on earth do any of them survive?

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Round them all up and trap them and put them in the country where they belong.
They can do their natural thing there --kill Rabbits/Badgers /rats /mice and any other growing vermin problem.

Foxes have just got lazy like us ,looking for a quick take away not hunting /killing and cooking::bigsmile: like we used to have too.

Maybe if we leave enough Mc stuff and KFC lying around, the foxes will get so fat we can pick them up off the streets and cart them out to the country.

Or, they may just die of heart problems.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
They can do their natural thing there --kill Rabbits/Badgers /rats /mice and any other growing vermin problem.

Foxes have just got lazy like us ,looking for a quick take away not hunting /killing and cooking::bigsmile: like we used to have too.

Maybe if we leave enough Mc stuff and KFC lying around, the foxes will get so fat we can pick them up off the streets and cart them out to the country.

Or, they may just die of heart problems.

Why must we in the country take on your fox problems? We've got enough of our own thanks.:Angry:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Apparently 80% of foxes don't reach maturity anyway, that's without culling. Now they want to make that number higher.:Sad:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
According to the 'experts'

urban foxes are getting very bold because people feed them and enjoy encouraging them to come into their gardens. If foxes were not encouraged like this, or by food garbage left on the streets, they would not be so bold. They are wild animals and should not be fed - the availability of food is keeping the population steady. The next big problem will be red kites as people are feeding them now, and kites have been reportedly swooping down on school kids eating lunchtime sandwiches - quite frightening I would imagine.

A pest control officer said on the news this morning that the urban fox population has remained the same for the last 30 years. Their behaviour is what has changed and above is the reason why. Don't feed them or leave food out.

Catherine

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

they deal with it.if it kills or harm us.they get rid of them.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
When/if this does happen,[HI] then I am sure there will be many, many people who will kill that particular fox.[/HI]..... as it would be the case when dogs HAVE killed children in the past.

Come on Joy don't be bloodthirsty
You can only kill 1 fox 1 time
so everyone outside the first is superfluous:cry:

Oh yes and

Originally Posted by joner8888 Link Removed
They can do their natural thing there --kill Rabbits/[HI]Badgers[/HI] /rats /mice and any other growing vermin problem.

Not many Badgers I've seen would be killed by a Fox:Sad:

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
We have foxes on our housing estate they come from the country estate that is across the road I have to say they are quite brave and will run about in the open

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

they still look better under the wheels of my truck.:Eeek:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We live in the country, there are only fields behind us and we have never seen a fox, generally only see them in cities or at motorway services. The biggest pests locally are deer because they don't cull them.

Bill

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

:Angry:i know what you mean.i still remember seeing one wipe out a complete car ,and the people in it early one sat morning.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
They can do their natural thing there --kill Rabbits[HI]/Badgers[/HI] /rats /mice and any other growing vermin problem.

I think the thought of Foxes killing Badgers is a bit off

Video may give you an Idea Why

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfZkuMfQdHU&feature=endscreen"]Badger Vs Fox - YouTube[/ame]

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks for that Teddybard. I bet the family that filmed it wern't in any way upset that wildlife visited their garden. :Smile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Thanks for that Teddybard. I bet the family that filmed it wern't in any way upset that wildlife visited their garden. :Smile:

Point really being Joy that there is a load of tosh
talked about most animals.
they are opportunists when feeding
but with a little sense can be safely seen.
However the clue is in the title Wild Animals.
If given chance food is food
whether its bins , babies, or domestic pets.

and dont worry about Foxes eating Badgers It wont happen
bit like a bycycle taking on a tank.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back