Crystal Palace CC Site

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by WillH, Feb 10, 2010.

1. WillH

WillH Funster

We're off to London next week, staying at the Crystal Palace site, to do a bit of sight-seeing and for a family event. What's the best way to get into the city from the site?

Rgds
    Bill

2. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Looooooong time since we stayed there, but I'm 99% certain that there is a bus stop right outside the gate. I remember that we had no probs at all.

3. jelzz

jelzz Read Only Funster

Bill, Easiest way was to get the bus across the road from the site....Takes about an hr to get into London but the bus fare was really cheap !!! The wardens were reallly helpful and will give you all the information..
    Enjoy

4. Fatalhud

Fatalhud Read Only Funster

Hi
    cheapest way was to walk to the paper shop opposite the Bus terminal and buy a day pass for less than a fiver
    This lets you jump on and off normal buses all day

Alan H

5. madbluemad

madbluemad

Or better still, wait until yor old and go free.:Rofl1::Rofl1:

6. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Get a One Day Travel card which can be used on buses, underground and overground train services and the Docklands Light Railway. Price varies dependant on which zones you will be travelling through, have a look on the Transport for London website.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

7. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

As previously stated, the best option is a bus card from the newsagents just up the road. It takes about an hour into the City. If I remember correctly it's the number 3 bus route.
    The first time we went we arrived after dark and as it was late I just tried the TV without messing about with the aerial and was pleasantly surprised to get a great picture. Next morning it became obnvious why. We were about 40 yards from the Crystal Palace transmitter!.
    The down side to this was that the mover fitted to our trailer would'nt work because of interference.

8. madbluemad

madbluemad

How far away from this site is the train station into central london

Jim
    :Smile:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  9. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Deffinately the bset way. Come out the main Gate and turn Left, walk a few hundred meters and you come to the bus station and you can get yourself a day roamer card. You could and should get the full day permit to include the tube. Get to Brixton on the bus, get off and jump on the tube.

Not far from the Tube station, depending where you want to go, also there is numerous rail stations close by.

People, if you go there, make sure you go and see the greatest attraction of all time. Just about 3 miles away is the world famous church of haganap. This is the place that I go to do my preaching whenever time and finances allow. You may know it better as Selhurst Park, home of Crystal palace FC. :thumb:

10. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

I used to live there and I'm sure the buses were either the 53 or the 137 right outside the gate. Have a lovely time.

11. madbluemad

madbluemad

Remember being there in the 80's at a night match when CP were in the old 1st Division. CPFC Vs EFC. CP won it, think it was 2-1. :cry:

Jim
    :Wink:

12. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi we have been there twice, and are going again in October for the remembrance parade, the number 3 bus just to the left of the camp takes you straight i to the centre, you can buy the bus passes just past the stop at the tobacconists, or if over 60 your free pass is valid. Pete :thumb::thumb:

13. gwnking

gwnking Read Only Funster

We are going to Alexandra Palace in 3 weeks, would this site be suitable for us to be able to get there? Or does anyone know of a site more suitable.

Thanks Dale

14. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Crystal Palace is South London whereas Alexandra Palace is North London.
    The CC site at Abbey Wood may be more suitable for your needs. Others may be better qualified to answer as I have not visited either site.