Cruise controllers for non-ECU engines (1 Viewer)

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Our MH is gagging for cruise control to be fitted (actually my leg and ankle are). It is the 2.8 idTD engine so no ECU, no can-bus, no funky anything. Just a good old mechanical diesel pump and cable to the pedal under my foot.

I have found the Waeco MS-50 seems to be a good unit for this purpose and it seems to be fairly easy to get hold of over here. Fitting sounds a little tricky as it requires a speed signal which usually is taken from the driveshaft (fit a magnet on the driveshaft and a sensor nearby) and also 3 switches on each of the 3 pedals.

It is clear that there isn't an 'easy' way to fit it so what I want to ask you folks is:

• What other decent make/model cruise control systems fit this purpose?
  • Has anyone made a fitting guide for these?
  • Do you have any experience of fitting one?

Thankfully I am fairly mechanically competent but for some reason this project is scaring me, probably because it involves electrickery and wires, I'm not so good with that gubbins.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
In all honesty I wouldn't go for the Waeco MS50 as it is a very basic unit and I've seen quite a few fail after a few years. I would fit a ZT 11M which is a vacuum servo unit connected to the throttle on the pump with a dash mounted command module giving you the main features of cruise control, it will also need a speed pulse generator and here again I would steeer clear of magnets on the driveshaft if possible (and it is) as they can give rise to poor reliability. Call us during normal working hours for a price.:winky:.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Thanks for your input on this, Dave.

The ZT 11, is that by Zemco? I did some searches for it and only find that brand and nowhere to purchase it from NL or outside of USA. What's so much better about that one than the Waeco? Reason I'm on about the Waeco MS-50 is because it looks really easy to get hold of and seems reasonably priced (€150 ish).

For the magnets on the driveshafts, I agree with you on that as it isn't something I fancy either. It seems too untidy and the potential for unwanted movement is quite high I feel. What other options are there for that part of the system? I envisage a gizmo in the speedo output on the gearbox which sends a signal and itself has an output to connect the speedo cable.

I would give you a call but am at work all day Mon-Fri and although can get online quite easily, calling is more tricky, thanks for the offer though :)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
A speed control needs to be fitted by a professional who knows what he is doing.

Just think of the horrific damage and death that could be caused if it went wrong, DIY in that area is a no no in my book.

Your insurance could also be invalid on a DIY.

Peter

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
A speed control needs to be fitted by a professional who knows what he is doing.

Just think of the horrific damage and death that could be caused if it went wrong, DIY in that area is a no no in my book.

Your insurance could also be invalid on a DIY.

Peter

Um, bill hooks. :roflmto:

I've fitted an old vacuum operated cruise control to a couple of my vehicles in the past without too much difficulty. The trickiest part in a vehicle without a rev counter (like mine) might be sensing engine revs but I dare say that there are solutions for this. Fitting magnets to driveshafts isn't that hard.

Of course if you don't understand how they work or have the confidence to fit one yourself it's absolutely not something you should attempt but it ain't rocket science.

You might have a point about insurance companies taking a dim view to DIY these days though so it would be wise to check before fitting.

Tim

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I am not a mechanic and never will be, but I do have the 2.8 fitted to a Peugeot and had Dave Newell fit his cruise system a couple of months ago....blindingly good

Aug 27, 2012
Kent
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
15 years
I had a cruise control fitted to my 1991 Hymer with a 2.5TD engine by Conrad Anderson in the Midlands many years ago and still working perfectly
it uses a speed pulse generator fitted on the speedo head before the cable
:Smile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thanks for your input on this, Dave.

The ZT 11, is that by Zemco? I did some searches for it and only find that brand and nowhere to purchase it from NL or outside of USA. What's so much better about that one than the Waeco? Reason I'm on about the Waeco MS-50 is because it looks really easy to get hold of and seems reasonably priced (€150 ish).

For the magnets on the driveshafts, I agree with you on that as it isn't something I fancy either. It seems too untidy and the potential for unwanted movement is quite high I feel. What other options are there for that part of the system? I envisage a gizmo in the speedo output on the gearbox which sends a signal and itself has an output to connect the speedo cable.

I would give you a call but am at work all day Mon-Fri and although can get online quite easily, calling is more tricky, thanks for the offer though :)

Hi, ZT11 is just our system designation. Waeco MS 50 is a basic system and as such is perfectly suitable for your vehicle but doesn't have many options for speed signal pulse rate or fine tuning of response. Also over the 12 years I've been fitting CC systems the MS 50 (and its equivalents) is the only system that has given reliability issues. The ZT11 consists of an AP300 vacuum powered servo unit and controller and a dash mounted command module, as I ssaid in my first response a speed pulse generator will be needed too, this is an electronic unit which goes between the speedo output on the gearbox and the speedo cable. We do the ZT11 at £335 fitted plus the pulse gen at about £45 less 5% funster discount. We don't do supply only.

D.

OP
OP
M

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Thanks all for your input on this, I'm still quite in the dark though :roflmto:

Dave - thanks for the info, it's all useful. Unfortunately I am unable to take up your offer for supply and fit as I'm in Netherlands. A shame as all I hear are wonderful things about you and your company and the price does sound reasonable!

The search continues, if anyone can add anything to this thread then please do so - make and model numbers etc. are all helpful.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hey whats wrong with a trip to the UK wales is a great country to explore as is england, then pop in and see Dave as part of a planned tour/holiday.:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You can fit a transducer which will give you a Speed Pulse signal. Easy to fit.

There are three connections, power, earth and pulse.

Two ways of fitting, depending on your drive cable.

If you can slide the cable from it's housing;

This is the easiest fitting. Choose where you want it positioned (near the firewall is best) Mark the position on the cable prior to removing. Remove the cable from the sheath. Cut an inch of the housing away where you marked it earlier. Feed the shorter part onto the cable, then slide on the transducer on, and finally the remaining housing. The transdcuder will overlap the housing, Cable-tie the transducer to the housing and refit. Then wire it up!

If you CANNOT slide the cable from it's housing;

In this instance you will need to make/source someone that can - a short 'speedo' cable. If you are unsure, a tachograph centre should be able to advise. You then connect you current speedo cable to the new one, with the transducer in the middle, then wire up.

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
i fitted my own, a piece of string tied to throttle cable . in the cab a hook. the string had 3 knots in it, slow, medium fast.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back