Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by chrisboyo, Jul 10, 2010.

1. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

Anyone had cruise control retro fitted to there motor home, was it worth doing?

If so what is the best one to get and what costs are involved

We have a 2.8 JTD Hymer

Happy Daze
    Chrisboyo:thumb:

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Dave Newall does it, off the top of my head its around the £300 mark, he does have it advertised on his web site.

I know a few who had it done, every year when im trouncing through France I say to Nikki, I must get cruise control fitted :Sad:

3. robnchris

robnchris Funster

We have Cruise control fitted to our Mercedes 316 also have an auto gear box, in our opinion the perfect combination.
    Makes driving those long distances so much easier.
    Definitely recommended.:thumb:

4. JJ

JJ Funster

Cruise control has made a massive improvement to my motor homing pleasure.

As an additional plus mine keeps me within the speed limits with the press of (the correct) button.

Conrad Anderson fitted mine years ago...

If you go for the infa-red steering wheel control button you can pretend you are an F1 driver...

JJ :BigGrin:

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i don't have cruise on the van but do on my car.

real 'lazy mans' motoring.

coupled to an auto box, and apart from the need to turn the wheel from time to time and watch for traffic you wouldn't need to be there at all.
    and coupled to an auto it could work out more economical, the box/cruise deciding when to change gear for optimal torque.
    certainly appears that way to me when on the same stretch of road both on cruise and not...cruise changes more often to maintain speed.

as an addition to your van I'd say money well spent.

6. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Chris,

I've PM'd you.

Phil

7. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

8. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

What year is your Hymer? If its the earlier version with three stalks on the column then I'd reccomend the dash mounted command module (the bit you see in the cab with buttons to press) which is £330 fitted inc VAT less 5% funster discount (remember to tell us you're a funster at the time of fitting:Wink:). If its the later model with the flip up map holder in the middle top of the dashboard then I'd suggest a CM35 stalk command module, it does the same job but gives you finger tip control without taking your hands off the wheel, it also has two presets you can programme for speeds of your choice, 30MPH and 60MPH for example. CM35 system is £360 fitted inc VAT -5% discount (remember to tell us you're a funster at the time of fitting:Wink:).

Call us during normal working hours on 01952 587702 to discuss your requirements further.

D.

9. madbluemad

madbluemad

Cruise is great but Ive found that more and more I'm only using it to give my foot a rest.

I have found that the increase in petrol consumption is to much for a bit of extra comfort.

I dont recall being on a flat road in france, but maybe I was in the wrong place.

Does cruise control consume petrol when it slows you down bye the way ?

Jim
    :Smile:

10. jezport

jezport Funster

I have cruise control on my car and van. I suffer from back problems and suffer pain if I have to keep pressure on my leg for a long time, the cruise control is great for me.

11. Needles not pins!

Needles not pins! Read Only Funster

retrofitting cruise control

Hi, Yes, cruise control can be installed to your Hymer 2.8 jTD. depending on the cab layout the controls to operate the system may alter but there are three basic types you may consider. Vacuum actuator, electric actuator or fully electronic.

Both of the actuator systems mean that while your cruise is engaged the throttle pedal will move up and down. The fully electronic system is just that - fully electronic! and the pedal remains still whilst the system is engaged.

Your Hymer is a drive-by-wire vehicle which means that there is no traditional throttle cable, its all done by electronics, so it makes sense to consider a fully electronic cruise system!

However, the vacuum system is cheaper and will do the job - as will the electric actuator system. You pays your money and takes your choice!!

I've fitted hundreds of cruise systems to motorhomes so if you need any advice, or a quote!, please call me on 01205 820004.

Yes, I am a new member and yes I am a trader!:Smile:

12. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

When I was young, must have manual box, boy racer etc, ,but now I prefer auto and cruise control, well worth fitting for long runs :Smile:

13. davejen

davejen Funster

Absolutely the best thing on the van, done by Dave Newell- great service.
    Cheers, Dave:thumb:

14. Maurice & Val

Maurice & Val Read Only Funster

Had mine fitted by Conrad Andersson while at the Loughborough show the other month. Took him about 3 hours to do (plus stops for the rain). Fitted to a Nuevo which is Boxer based. So far brilliant, use it all the time on steady speeds, motorways and find it a great help. Cost was around the £350 mark. Had considered getting a kit of bits and fitting it myself but after watching the chap do it I'm very glad I didn't.

15. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

FABULOUS.......I COULD NOT LIVE WITH OUT IT IN THE MOTORHOME....I live in France and I wish Dave Newal lived closer who fitted mine when I came over to the uk last May 2009.....would like one fitted to the car and now looking at a new motorhome and would want one fitted to that ........they are Great.......better than sliced Bread......mine was about £300 to £400 or just above....I am out in the motorhome in the uk and receipt at home in France......go for it

Mel