Cruise control question

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Mags52, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We're considering having cruise control retro fitted to our 2007 Ducato 2.3.
    I have a couple of questions:
    1) We got 29.5 mph on our last trip round France having had it remapped and pumped up the tyres to the the proper pressure rather than the van pressures recommended in the handbook (what a revelation!). Will Cruise Control improve our mpg further or is it just for comfort and ease of driving?
    2) Is there any danger that it will have any detrimental effect on the clutch? (sorry if that's an ignorant question)
    3) Who would you recommend to do it? Prefer Southern SCotland or North West England.

Thanks
    Mags

• Like Like x 1
  2. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

We have CC on our Bolero, I have found that I mostly use it on motorways or dual carriageways when we have a long way to go, only occasionally use it otherwise, and never in the rain or when roads are wet.
    I have not found that it has affected my MPG much, I don't really pay too much attention to thes figures anyway, the M/H is going to use what it uses, just drive sensibly.
    On the subject of tyre pressures, I ran them at the recommended M/H pressures, but found that I was getting fairly serious understeer, entering and exiting bends, the sharper the bend, the worse it was, not at excessive speed either, I lowered my front pressures to give more grip, bingo, understeer removed,handles sweetly now, I think it may have been because my M/H Has a lot of rear overhang behind the axle, also the rear kitchen is in the wrong place for weight distribution, I have just removed the too high and heavy microwave to aid this situation, hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dogman

dogman Read Only Funster

Be interesting to hear where you got the "proper" pressures from, NOT the side of the tyre I hope?

4. greygit

greygit Read Only Funster

I think CC would increase fuel consumption as it can't anticipate a hill and increase speed slightly to get up it , it waits until speed drops at the start of the hill then opens the throttle fully to cope.
    I use ours all the time but I have never done a comparison of fuel used so this purely IMO. :Smile:

5. buttons

buttons Funster

It will depend what kind of driver you are as to whether you get more or less mpg. If you are a very erratic driver then you could see an improvement. If you are as would appear a very smooth and economical driver then you could see a reduction for reasons already stated. Having said that cruise has many benefits, I use it at all times even in 30mph sections governed by speed cams. Well worth any reduction in mpg.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We have a very early CC version fitted. Its really just a bit of string on the passenger side, a fulcrum, lever and mallet.
    When my wife thinks I'm going too fast, she simply pulls the string, activating the mallet through the fulcrum and lever. The mallet that lightly taps me on the head.
    When we are going to visit her mother, I tend to dawdle, hence another reminder to speed up. I haven't noticed a marked reduction in MPG, but aspirin and elastoplast usage has shot up. :Wink::Wink:

• Like Like x 9
  7. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

According to manufacturers CC improves MPG. I would be without it, but I do have sciatica.
    Phil

8. dogman

dogman Read Only Funster

Me as well, haven't been to bed for 5 days now, got an appointment with the doctor at 11:40 and chiroguy at 14:00, I sympathise.:Sad:

9. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

We use the cruise control a lot in the MH and it is particularly useful on long journeys as it is less tiring for the driver.

Whilst agreeing that it does not anticipate long upward hills and you need to override it sometimes we have seen the benefit of increased MPG - plus sticking to 50 mph - that makes a big difference.

We also had cruise control in both cars and having recently traded one of of the cars in, the new one is without cruise control, I am seriously looking to see if it could be retrofitted as really miss it as it makes driving on long journeys far less tiring.

Kath and Howie

• Like Like x 1
  10. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Reflects my thoughts exactly. And I wouldn't be without cruise control. There is very little difference in fuel consumption with the cruise on or off for us. Suspect a head-wind or tail-wind has far more effect.

If we've got a motorway hill to climb we just knock the cruise speed down a bit, and then increase again on the way down the other side. Much as you might using your right foot to control your speed. :thumb:

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We looked at the Ducato book then the sticker that had been put on the wheel arches inside the cab and found a difference. The Ducato book showed a lower pressure but that was for the van so we used the pressures on the wheel arches and had an immediate improvement in mpg. No difference in stability but we do have air-rides fitted. It drove comfortably on a 3k round France trip so we're well happy with that mpg.
    My sons are plugging the idea of cruise control. One of them used to be a trucker so I guess he knows what he's talking about but I wanted to hear motorhomers opinions.
    Any thoughts on the clutch?

12. dogman

dogman Read Only Funster

Yes, it wont affect the clutch at all.
    Seems you did the right thing with your tyre pressures, the wheel arch info is for the application, the pressure on the tyre sidewall is the maximum the tyre should be inflated to and NOT the specific application.

13. gloworm

gloworm Funster

cruise conrol

we had cruise control fitted to our 2007 2.3 ducato, cant say any change in mpg, but it makes driving a lot more comfortable, cant see any reason it would affect the clutch. had it fitted by Dave Newell (telford) excellent job.

Eric:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. cranky

cranky Funster

The only thing to remember is that the cc on a manual doesnt know to change down for long hills so will just cut out. As previously said though, it is great for long drives and I wouldnt be without it.

15. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

As others have said, you are unlikely to improve on your already good MPG figures & they may get a little worse, as you are potentially more sensitive that the cruise control.

There is a potential additional strain on the whole engine/transmission train, not just the clutch, with cruise control on a manual transmission. There is an increased temptation to stay in top gear rather than change down at the optimum point. So long as you resist that temptation, there shouldn't be a problem.

Make sure your chosen model is as easy to temporarily flick out of cruise control as it is to click 'Resume'. Most will Resume at a press of a button, but some require a much more fiddly switch movement to 'Suspend'. As they all Suspend on touching either brake or clutch, the temptation is to touch the brake when you want to do the equivalent of easing off on the throttle, with your brake lights then sending the wrong signal to following drivers. This can be quite dangerous, especially on a motorway.

The very latest intelligent systems will do that for you, maintaining a set distance behind the vehicle in front, but I don't know if they are available as after-market fitments.

Like many people, I use cruise control because of leg problems on long journeys. I find that the level of concentration needed increases, rather than decreases. A lifetime of driving leads to an automatic connection between eye & right foot, which suddenly isn't there any more. Your eye says 'ease off', but now you have to use your hand on a switch instead.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

17. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I have CC on both my VW T5 combi and the camper and I would never be without it !!

I have learnt that with 3.5m hight C Class its best to turn it off approaching a long hill if there is a bad headwind, I leant my lesson whilst watching the fuel go down on a journey from the Midlands to the NE on a stormy day last year, if there is a small general penalty on economy I don't care, CC is worth it.

Dave

18. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

I have to agree. Dave Newell fitted our CC and I wouldn't be without it. Its main purpose is not to improve MPG (that's just a bonus) but a long journey with CC is so much more comfortable and stress free.

Wyn

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

A couple of functions that may be useful to you are available on some after market CC.

One I had fitted used to cut out at 75% of the speed setting, so never any strain on engine gearbox.

Some come with two variable speed settings, say 30mph for town work and 70mph for motorways, etc. so you don't need to keep changing the setting as the legal limit varies, just switch between 1 and 2.

Also, a couple of fuel saving tips.

Only initiate the CC when you've achieved cruising speed, from standstill or reset. After all that's what it's for, controlling your cruise speed. Letting the CC get you up to speed will drink more fuel.

Disengage the CC when descending hills to ensure the engine isn't doing any driving.

20. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

g8ysn

re-cc i use mine nearly all the time ,whether in confomatic [it changes ddown automaticallt at 1.000 ] ican change up at 1500, in auto it changes up mid 2500/2700 so to drive in manual can save fuel but for ease i leave it in auto,cc helps me keep to speed limit [ dont like £60 fine and 3 points:thumb: