Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
N.Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30+
The kids are safely back at school, our daughter is visiting and the weather is beautiful, so today we had a trip to Cruden Bay. If you don't know this part of Aberdeenshire, please let me recommend it highly to you. Cruden Bay is a small 'picture postcard' village south of Peterhead. As well as having a world class links golf course, it was also the place where Bram Stoker wrote 'Dracula' - apparently inspired by the nearby Slains castle, where he was often a guest. Yes, I know Dracula is set in Whitby, but it was written in Cruden Bay. The village is much quieter since the demise of the railways, but it has a fantastic curving beach and a resident colony of seals. There is a campsite near the village, but it's pretty awful and I couldn't recommend it. However, it's not far to Mintlaw and the very good site set within the Aden country park. Well worth a few days stay. Just north of Cruden bay is the spectacular rock formations of the 'Bullers of Buchan' - mentioned by Boswell in his account of his journey round Scotland with Samuel Johnson. The West of Scotland is beautiful, but so is the East and I recommend any visitors to come and see it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back