Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
It's interesting this topic should come up and if you're interested please carry on reading and I'll throw in my 2 penneth and tell you why.

Since around 2002 I have been a member of several online forums, mostly car related. Some of them don't exist anymore because moderation became too heavy and members left to start rival forums. Sometimes swearing/language was moderated too heavily, sometimes it was the subject of the posts, sometimes other reasons.

Every time one joins a forum as a newbie, it takes a while to feel the place out and understand how it works. Some are very factual, some are more bantery, some are next to useless and full of cliquey members.

I've been a member on here only for a few months and have found there is a fairly good balance of the above. You can ask a question and people will help as best they can. Sometimes people reply to your question with a useless post, I have seen this quite a lot on here and don't like it because it just seems like a waste of everyone's time. However, that is the dynamic on here and that's fine; I just ignore those type of replies by skimming my eyes over them :)

In real life I quite often use all sorts of naughty words. F's, B's, S's and more, especially with old friends and never in front of children or people I don't know well. On a forum like this, I don't. It seems unnecessary and frankly rude. I'm here to learn about MH's, chat about them, get help for myself and offer help to others. Sweary words don't fit into that.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Just looked this up...

http://h2g2.com/approved_entry/A753527

and thought I would also look up the origin of that horrible word:ROFLMAO: that was originally used that offended the OP...

[FONT=&quot]piss (v.) [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]late 13c., from Old French pissier "urinate" (12c.), from Vulgar Latin *pissiare, of imitative origin. To piss away (money, etc.) is from 1948. Related: Pissed; pissing. Pissing while (1550s) once meant "a short time." [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]He shall not piss my money against the wall; he shall not have my money to spend in liquor. ["Dictionary of Buckish Slang, University Wit and Pickpocket Eloquence," London, 1811] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]piss (n.)[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]late 14c., from piss (v.). As a pure intensifier (piss-poor, piss-ugly, etc.) it dates from World War II. Piss and vinegar first attested 1942. Piss-prophet "one who diagnosed diseases by inspection of urine" is attested from 1620s. Piss proud "erect upon awakening" is attested from 1796.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have no real problems with language as I accept that each generation makes it their own. The "F" word no longer has the same meaning to the younger generation but of course the older generations still hold it as disgusting etc.
[/FONT]​

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
In real life I quite often use all sorts of naughty words. F's, B's, S's and more, especially with old friends and never in front of children or people I don't know well....

I daresay that most of us would fit into that category, but avoiding the use of inappropriate foul language, such as in the circumstances you outline above, is becoming less prevalent. Just take a walk along a busy high street and you'll hear the F word used by children, young teenage girls and women which was never the case not too long ago. Like you, I don't like it either, and as you rightly say, there really is no need for it in any forum. Standards are on the slide! We all have our individual levels of acceptance. To those who would say general use of foul language is in some way 'acceptable' - How much further do the standards have to fall before you too say enough is enough. Imagine paying for your daily paper with a handful of small coins for the girl behind the till to curse "For F**** sake ......." as she counts them in. Acceptable? I don't think so, but that's the direction we're heading!

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
As a little gentle aside, here is a story from the Police Federation Magazine some years ago. The Mag featured a column by “Dogberry” which was a collection of amusing and said to be true police stories. This is one I recall .....
An officer was in court giving evidence involving the arrest of a man for using “threatening, abusive insulting words ...”
“What exactly” enquired the prosecuting solicitor “did he say to you ?”
He told me to “F*** off” your worships.
“And you arrested him just for that ?” enquired the solicitor.
“Yes”
One of the magistrates interrupted the cross examination, “Can you honestly say constable, that in this modern society you find the use of the F word insulting ?”
“I do sir – Yes” as the magistrate shook his head in disbelief.
The solicitor continued, “After you arrested him, we’ve heard you cautioned him. What did he say in reply ?”
The bobby turned to the bench to address the magistrate, “F*** all your worships!”

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I find it remarkable that a few Anglo Saxon words would offend any body in this day and age, yes I agree that there is too much of it on the street but that is how it is!
There is far more going on in the world to make me cringe and feel sick than a few words written on a forum,
Not wishing to be impolite, but I think the OP need to get some perspective to his life,

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Just take a walk along a busy high street and you'll hear the F word used by children, young teenage girls and women which was never the case not too long ago.

Really and honestly? Just by walking down a high street you would hear F's being thrown about even by young children? Although I haven't been to the UK in a fair while and so am out of touch with it a bit, I do find this difficult to believe.

Maybe standards are falling, I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that I was using that kind of language in my teens (let's say mid 90's) as were my friends both boys and girls. But I knew exactly when NOT to use it - with either of my parents, anyone much older, "adults'", teachers, young children. Even now I cannot bring myself to use even light language with Mum as I know how much she hates it.

However, everything goes in circles. What was appalling in the 50's is now commonplace. Give it another few years/decades and it will have gone full circle I think. People will get fed up of it, as they will with 'reality' TV shows, fake music, 'celebrity' and so on and it won't be cool anymore.

I'd like to think that if I was on the receiving end of your theoretical checkout girl, I would take the money back and ask to speak to her boss. There's no excuse for that language in a customer facing job and she'd deserve to be seriously reprimanded for it.

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
..with their heads bowed in praise to their permanently attached I-phones..
...their arms (and other bodily parts) adorned in bad-taste tattoos, though some of them at least, manage to get the spelling right! :roflmto:

Munching their way through a KFC bargain bucket, on the way home to their government provided 8 bedroom detached house with double garage :Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
..with their heads bowed in praise to their permanently attached I-phones..
...their arms (and other bodily parts) adorned in bad-taste tattoos, though some of them at least, manage to get the spelling right! :roflmto:

It's a sad picture but spot on.

I wonder about people or all ages with ears full of something claiming to be music, would they recognise a bird singing ?

Monty1083

Free Member
Jul 29, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a Newbie
By the tone that this thread has taken I fear that the OP may be in a minority. But it's not a minority of one as I would join him....

Unfortunately, it is a sign of our modern times that people seem to think it's ok to use whatever language or terminology they want to - even when responding to people they don't know.

There was an item on the news this morning about people spitting in the street or other public places and how some councils are treating it as an offence and imposing fixed penalty fines. In my view if those who do it had been properly brought up by their parents to respect others and their environment we wouldn't have the problem in the first place.

Time was that at rugby union games, if anyone used foul language in front of a female - or even some men for that matter, they would be "suitably advised" by those around them. Even here this is dying out and the morons are winning.

So, to the OP, I'm with you! :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It's a sad picture but spot on.

I wonder about people or all ages with ears full of something claiming to be music, would they recognise a bird singing ?

Hey Bro, it depends which bird is singing innit. I always recognise Lady Gaga, know wot I am saying.

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-

Cartoon from the late constable John 'Witt" Whittaker, whose talent would have graced any of the Daily papers.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Brings back memories !!......

Just looked this up...

http://h2g2.com/approved_entry/A753527

and thought I would also look up the origin of that horrible word:ROFLMAO: that was originally used that offended the OP...

[FONT=&quot]piss (v.) [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]late 13c., from[HI] Old French pissier [/HI]"urinate" (12c.), from Vulgar Latin *pissiare, of imitative origin. To piss away (money, etc.) is from 1948. Related: Pissed; pissing. Pissing while (1550s) once meant "a short time." [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]He shall not piss my money against the wall; he shall not have my money to spend in liquor. ["Dictionary of Buckish Slang, University Wit and Pickpocket Eloquence," London, 1811] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]piss (n.)[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]late 14c., from piss (v.). As a pure intensifier (piss-poor, piss-ugly, etc.) it dates from World War II. Piss and vinegar first attested 1942. Piss-prophet "one who diagnosed diseases by inspection of urine" is attested from 1620s. Piss proud "erect upon awakening" is attested from 1796.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have no real problems with language as I accept that each generation makes it their own. The "F" word no longer has the same meaning to the younger generation but of course the older generations still hold it as disgusting etc.
[/FONT]​

Who remembers that brilliant programme on the BBC called Clochemerle about a French village that had a pissoir in it ?......:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Please do not press the little yellow triangle !!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Who remembers that brilliant programme on the BBC called Clochmerle ( I think ) about a French village that had a pissoir in it ?..

Cyril Cusac as the mayor - oh yes, brilliant.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQF3tl7Th44"]Clochemerle 1972 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Who remembers that brilliant programme on the BBC called Clochmerle ( I think ) about a French village that had a pissoir in it ?......:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Please do not press the little yellow triangle !!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Is "that" what the French man said:RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hey Bro, it depends which bird is singing innit. I always recognise Lady Gaga, know wot I am saying.

The lesser breasted Gaga, apparently is not a bird at all, it has been alleged that she used to have testicles.........:RollEyes:

The greater breasted Adele however, has a very charming evening song.......
.:thumb:

::bigsmile:

att

Free Member
Jul 17, 2013
Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Brand Spanking Newbie
Winston Churchill was very adept at using profanities, anyone who came into contact with him would tell you that, he even used them when addressing the troops and the locals when out in the field.

Thank god is all I can say, or we would all be swearing in German....Now that is really offensive to my ears:winky:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
AND what about that Copper in 'ELLO 'ELLO?:cry:

"I was just pissing by your door!"

Did you laugh then?

or write a furious missive to the BBC, signed ANGRY of W sur M :cry:

OP
OP
Y

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
crude, or is it me.

Well, what a response, I see one of the justified excuses for the swearing, is that you hear it all the time out side school gates town centres,ect, sadly you do, I hear young parents talking to their young children with language that makes me cringe, sadly, these children are growing up with these swear words as part of their family vocabulary, and their the ones who will be outside the school gates in 10 or so years time using the very same language, so were not setting a very good example are we .one of the main joys of my motorhoming is that for a few days or so we can get away from all that some of the replies contain quite explicit words, which I still maintain don't belong in a "family" orientated forum, which makes me feel more justified in starting this thread. . yokel john.

att

Free Member
Jul 17, 2013
Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Brand Spanking Newbie
Well, what a response, I see one of the justified excuses for the swearing, is that you hear it all the time out side school gates town centres,ect, sadly you do, I hear young parents talking to their young children with language that makes me cringe, sadly, these children are growing up with these swear words as part of their family vocabulary, and their the ones who will be outside the school gates in 10 or so years time using the very same language, so were not setting a very good example are we .one of the main joys of my motorhoming is that for a few days or so we can get away from all that some of the replies contain quite explicit words, which I still maintain don't belong in a "family" orientated forum, which makes me feel more justified in starting this thread. . yokel john.

This is not a family orientated forum in my experience, others may care to argue/disagree.
I see this forum as an adult orientated forum and to me, that makes your feelings of justification irrelevant.

There is another issue here altogether and that is one of perception, combined with experience.
Maybe you would feel better in a Disney orientated kind of world, where everyone whistles or sings a happy tune:thumb:
You have a button that turns things off if you do not wish to read, failing that I am sure you have an adult mind that can filter certain things and change the words in your mind to those that you find more acceptable.
If you are unable to do this, then there are services provided by the NHS that will enable this to function properly.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
By the tone that this thread has taken I fear that the OP may be in a minority. But it's not a minority of one as I would join him....

Unfortunately, it is a sign of our modern times that people seem to think it's ok to use whatever language or terminology they want to - even when responding to people they don't know.

There was an item on the news this morning about people spitting in the street or other public places and how some councils are treating it as an offence and imposing fixed penalty fines. In my view if those who do it had been properly brought up by their parents to respect others and their environment we wouldn't have the problem in the first place.

Time was that at rugby union games, if anyone used foul language in front of a female - or even some men for that matter, they would be "suitably advised" by those around them. Even here this is dying out and the morons are winning.

So, to the OP, I'm with you! :thumb:
and how does that tie in with the traditional rugby songs ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well, what a response, I see one of the justified excuses for the swearing, is that you hear it all the time out side school gates town centres,ect, yokel john.

I didn't take it that way, just a simple statement of fact that, like it or not, what would have been considered vile language not long ago is now in common usage.

How about look back and see just how things have changed, skip to 3 minutes in this clip, I wonder what she thinks of today's TV presenters.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eejevCOwIz8"]Sylvia Peters Introducing the 1953 Coronation - YouTube[/ame]

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
here we go, please whatch you will be happy all day long, and most of the XXXXXX night:Eeek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxvlKp-76io"]It's A Small World - Disney - YouTube[/ame]

go you know you want to:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
the question was "crude, or is it just me?"
its you question answered time to move on now :Smile: