Free Member
Apr 18, 2017
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since Jan 2017
Acquired MH in January this year. Plan is for Mr & Mrs Pogle to use it to de-stress from our jobs. Have used it twice so far. Excellent fun and certainly very effective de-stress.

In years past, lack of money necessitated spending holidays under canvas with young children. In those days the children were warned to give the caravans and motorhomes a wide berth in case some old grump started shooting at them. Now that I don’t need so much money, because the children look after themselves, I seem to have sufficient. So I have acquired a second hand MH, and I can park it on the dark side of the camping sites amongst all the white boxes; complete with bed, fridge and wardrobe. Unbelievable luxury.

Experience so far (although sample size not yet statistically significant) is that most motorhomers and caravanners are very friendly and don't actually carry guns. But I do observe that they are also mostly bonkers.
(I appreciate that this is a very dangerous opening gambit for a newbie, but it is tongue-in-cheek, so please bear with me :))

The bonkers aspect is an unexpected bonus because I did not expect to experience the great pleasure of people-watching whilst sipping my bilberry wine. All that said, I am aware of the possibility (however remote) that perhaps everybody else is normal and it is the Pogles that are bonkers.

This is the reason for joining the forum. I would like to draw on the experiences and knowledge of the other members in order to explore the odd rituals observed, get to grips with the etiquette and to calibrate my sanity.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
You are of course very welcome to the Fun, coming from the Isle of Wight however your opening Gambit is of course flawed.

We have several members from the South Island. Two that come straight to mind are @FIDGET and @2spritelyislanders telyislanders both teams are totally bonkers especially the @FIDGET male.

On the whole Fun Folk from the North Island are totally sane with one or two exceptions and these folk live in the Southampton Portsmouth area or in other words too close to the south island to evade the bonkers virus. Another example of which is @ROB1CHELSEA1 .

Downsizing1_800x533.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello @Mr Pogle and welcome to the Fun :hiya:

(NB You do need to know that The Dark Side has a very specific meaning on here.... I could explain it to you, but then I WOULD have to shoot you)
Darn it - @jonandshell have just told you! Now I'll have to shoot them too!

Don't worry, I'm not that good a shot
BIOkmIL.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well hello the pogles (predicted text thinks you are piglets) bonkers oh yes I think it is contagious, coz I was quite OK till buying motorhome.

Martin

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
You are of course very welcome to the Fun, coming from the Isle of Wight however your opening Gambit is of course flawed.

We have several members from the South Island. Two that come straight to mind are @FIDGET and @two sprightly Islanders both teams are totally bonkers especially the @FIDGET male.

On the whole Fun Folk from the North Island are totally sane with one or two exceptions and these folk live in the Southampton Portsmouth area or in other words too close to the south island to evade the bonkers virus. Another example of which is @ROB1CHELSEA1 .

View attachment 158500
Oi! Who are you calling bonkers!! I'll 'ave you know young man that we are as sane as the next Funster::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Oi! Who are you calling bonkers!! I'll 'ave you know young man that we are as sane as the next Funster::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

You demand recognition as sane AND call me "young man" in the same sentence; I rest my case.......:restmycase:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Dark side. Good god, for a minuet there I thought you were going to Lancashire but all is well. Oh and by the way, welcome.

OP
OP
Mr Pogle

Mr Pogle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2017
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since Jan 2017
At work today and now on lunch break catching up with the thread. Amazing responses and pictures. Thanks all.
Had no idea that the 'dark side' had a specific meaning here.

I'll go with bonkers. I've seen folk with ladders cleaning them !

Tell us more.
Example one of odd behaviour...
MH parked in car park at Hedge End out of town shopping place thingy between Southampton and Portsmouth. Just arrived. I'm sat in driving seat. Mrs Pogle rummaging around in the back somewhere fussing about as usual. Westie dog in Mrs Pogle's front seat.
Deliberately chose a parking space in a sparse area of the car park, which is nearly the size of Hampshire doing the two spaces lengthways thing that you have to do sometimes.

Then another MH arrives from nowhere and pulls up beside us in the very next space. Driver, who looked like 'young Mr Grace' from 'Are you Being Served?' winds down his window, peers into our cab and starts rambling on some stuff that makes no sense whatsoever. Dog going mental as this old geezer's face peers in two feet away the other side of the window.
Meanwhile Mrs Pogle starts mouthing words and waving arms at me in the back. After several decades of learning Mrs Pogle's unique semaphor techniques I interpret this to mean something like, "why did they park right next to us?, they have all the space in the world, we chose this spot for privacy, I'm staying back here, you deal with the nutters, I'm too tired for small talk, shut the stupid dog up, get rid of them Mr Pogle... etc."
I slowly started to tune in to old Mr Grace above the barking, and he was saying something like, "you have along journey ahead". Still made no sense until I realised that he was assuming that every MH within a 20 mile radius of Portsmouth must be doing the same as him and waiting for a cross-channel ferry.
Totally bonkers - all of it.

But my question to you forum people, is this what we should do, i.e. always park beside each other, a bit like bikers do; or is it better to assume that other MH owners prefer some space and peace and quiet?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi @Mr Pogle ,
Welcome !!
Yes like you we are fellow moho owners , we are based in carisbrooke.
Please ignore the old gent from the New forest @Popeye ,as I think he has spent too long out in that there forest & caught Alabama Rot (not good don't you know).
He calls us south islanders because of the stretch of water between us ( thank god it's there that's all I can say). He's just jelly-ass , as he'd wishes he lived over her !!!
And as to our other couple Sue & Pete @2spritelyislanders , they are a lovely couple currently touring somewhere in deepest France at the mo with there 2 dogs.
Any help that you need just ask.
Terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Then another MH arrives from nowhere and pulls up beside us in the very next space.

It too me a while to work it out but in the end I realised that the answer is MAGNETISM. Like you we park all over the EU trying to find a quiet space. Without fail a MH or a car parks right next to us, sometimes so close we can barely open the hab door, which of course is narrower than the cab doors.

Right now I'm working with the Klingons to see if their cloaking device can be modified to neutralise the magnetism of the motorhome. It's very hard work, they are even more evil than the standard British campsite wardens.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i recently heard the isle of wight escape committee at long last realised the tunnel they have been digging for years under the solent is dug in the wrong direction. currently a few miles from Guernsey

OP
OP
Mr Pogle

Mr Pogle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2017
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since Jan 2017
Hi @Mr Pogle ,
Welcome !!
<<
And as to our other couple Sue & Pete @2spritelyislanders , they are a lovely couple currently touring somewhere in deepest France at the mo with there 2 dogs.
Terry
Thanks for the welcome @FIDGET. We Pogles are Cowes based.
Sadly, I have to stop enjoying myself on the forum and get back to work now!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think you just got unlucky. Motorhomers are like every other group of people. We have people from both ends of the scale from the ultra sociable to the loner types and everywhere in between. I think you just got unlucky. It may also be to do with your location, he maybe assumed you were in holiday mode as he himself is and got over exuberant. Don't panic this is not a regular thing. I think in the 8 years of being a fulltimer I can only recall 3 times that I have had unwanted attention of this nature :D

That said, I do tend to avoid touristy type areas :p

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Thanks for the welcome @FIDGET. We Pogles are Cowes based.
Sadly, I have to stop enjoying myself on the forum and get back to work now!

Enjoy yourself? Enjoy yourself? You don't come on Fun to enjoy yourself, this is the place for deep discussion on Brexit and Her Up North with the kilt, and whether Trump should be bombing Syria and invading North Korea. Occasional mentions of motorhome topics are tolerated but please keep them brief! :nod:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Oh yes - the Motorhome Herding Instinct :) Last year, we parked at the very end of the carpark on Lindisfarne to enjoy the view whilst eating lunch. Another motorhome, which was at least twice the size of us, drove past a zillion empty spaces and parked between us and the view. Why????

I just started up and reversed to the end of the row behind us and carried on regardless but it does make you wonder what's going on in their heads!

Welcome to the madness!

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
We are in France at the moment and when going shopping for liquid refreshment we park in the furthest out reaches of the enormous car parks they provide.

And when you return to your MH after shopping you can quarentee some idiot has parked alongside the habitation door despite there being enough free space to build Wembley Stadium twice over available.

It's human nature to be a prat and whichever country you're in you'll attract them like moths to a flame.

Enjoy your new found life and just accept that not everyone is a sensible as you and me.

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Hi @Mr Pogle ,
Welcome !!
Please ignore the old gent from the New forest @Popeye ,as I think he has spent too long out in that there forest & caught Alabama Rot (not good don't you know).
He calls us south islanders because of the stretch of water between us ( thank god it's there that's all I can say). He's just jelly-ass , as he'd wishes he lived over her !!!
Terry
Yep correct we're currently on our way down to the Med after many deviations :smiley: should get there in the next couple of days. Hope weather is as good on IOW as it is here (not that we want to make anyone jellyass of course) ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
@2spritelyislanders
Yep, Weather here bright & sunny , if a little cool , glad you are safe & enjoying it .
We can't wait for June to come ,Then we will be off like you ,but only touring Brittany this time ,heading down to the Lot & Dordogne and points east on way back

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
A warm welcome to Fun @Mr Pogle.
With your bonkers sense of humour you will fit in with this lot very well.
I, of course, am totally sane so don't attract the nutters in quite the same way as some. :D
If you think that others park close in Hampshire land just wait until you get to France.
I have a theory that as so many French live in apartments or houses huddled very close together they just hate being too far away from their compatriots. They seem to have a fear of being separate from other people which makes them all park very close together.
Us Brits on the other hand, being separated by water from the hoards, like our independence and are happy with our own company.
Psycho babble over, have fun on Fun.(y):D

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back