Crossing the Pyranees.

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Spottycatz, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

Hoping to use the middle route down to Beni next month, which entails crossing the Pyrenees. I have looked at maps and stuff and want to use the A138. Has anyone used this route please and considering I have a 7.5m van, will it be a difficult drive? Many thanks.

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Looking on google earth there appears to be a few larger villages on route and they all need servicing by some form of delivery vehicle....and i doubt it would be by panel van.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

Yeh, I've google driven along the road already, but when you come out the tunnel on the Spanish side, the road looks awfy narrow and winding in places. :eek:

4. olley

olley Funster

Came back from Portugal that way in about 2010, fairly easy route without any real steep climbs or descents. The Bielsa tunnel is old and a bit narrow so you need a bit of care if a lorry is coming the other way, but other than that fine.

Nice parking area on the French side, so if you feel energetic you can climb up the side of a mountain.:D

We came through in late feb and carried on to Piau Engaly which is a left turn down the road a couple of miles as the girls wanted to go skiing.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  5. alanalmoff

alanalmoff Funster

I'am going down to Valencia in a few weeks, the route we are trying this year is, Calais, Rouen, Le Mans, then the D323 to Last Fleche, D938 to Saumur, D347, D938 Parthenay D743 to Niort, Bordeaux, Langdon, Pau, Oloron St Marie, Jaca, Huesca, Zaragoza, Valencia, any tip or suggestions for stopovers very welcome

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  6. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

See the resources section, you will travelling on part of my often used route. Some of my regular stops are listed.

• Like Like x 2