Crossing the channel: Does size matter? (1 Viewer)

clf86ha

Free Member
Oct 4, 2012
Hartlepool, Norh East
Funster No
MH
Autcruise Starspirit
Exp
since April 2014
Whilst still waiting to sell our caravan and join the world of Motorhoming, I have been looking at many motorhomes and adverts for motorhomes and came across an advert for an under 6m motorhome, who mentioned that at under 6m in size, it's a positive, as it would mean a lesser charge crossing the channel. having never been abroad with our caravan, I'm a total newbie to this, so can someone explain (in laymans terms) how size makes a difference ie: is it just the length, or does width and height play a factor too? or is the difference negligible?

OP
OP
clf86ha

clf86ha

Free Member
Oct 4, 2012
Hartlepool, Norh East
Funster No
MH
Autcruise Starspirit
Exp
since April 2014
does it go up in size brackets? is there much price difference in the brackets?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Depends on which ferry and to where but I think dfds dover to dunkirk have two sizes up to 7mtr and up to 10 mtr. I just booked a week ago £ 52 return 15 days away 6mtr m/h for september next year. Compared to £85 on the isle of wight ferry the same time. Terry:rain:

mike/jen

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
Powys
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
7 years
Dfds, One way 11mtres total motorhome and trailer with car on. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
as it would mean a lesser charge crossing the channel.

Quite insignificant compared to the other other costs of touring Europe.

Having said that, ours is under 6m but chosen for what we wanted rather than the cost of ferries.

Fuel consumption is far more significant, build that into you buying equation.

mike/jen

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
Powys
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
7 years
Sorry should read, Dfds, One way 15mtres total motorhome and trailer with car on. :Eeek: :thumb:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Length of vehicle (and height and width) not an issue for crossing through the Eurotunnel. All motorhomes the same price regardless - unless you have a trailer. The tunnel is generally slightly more expensive than the ferries from Dover, however.

We've got a 5.99-metre van, but pay the same as ones that are half-as-long-again. :cry:

Mike

OP
OP
clf86ha

clf86ha

Free Member
Oct 4, 2012
Hartlepool, Norh East
Funster No
MH
Autcruise Starspirit
Exp
since April 2014

Having said that, ours is under 6m but chosen for what we wanted rather than the cost of ferries.

As I said, I have never been over to europe, so don't actually know how significant/insignificant it would actually be, hence the question

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
If you go to the ferry operator's website, book a crossing (you can back out of it before paying) then try putting in various lengths to see if they do charge extra for additional length.

OP
OP
clf86ha

clf86ha

Free Member
Oct 4, 2012
Hartlepool, Norh East
Funster No
MH
Autcruise Starspirit
Exp
since April 2014
Length of vehicle (and height and width) not an issue for crossing through the Eurotunnel. All motorhomes the same price regardless - unless you have a trailer. The tunnel is generally slightly more expensive than the ferries from Dover, however.

We've got a 5.99-metre van, but pay the same as ones that are half-as-long-again. :cry:

Mike

Thank you, we would more than probably use the tunnel due to having dogs. And the majority of the motorhomes we seem to like are 24' long

OP
OP
clf86ha

clf86ha

Free Member
Oct 4, 2012
Hartlepool, Norh East
Funster No
MH
Autcruise Starspirit
Exp
since April 2014

and thank you for the advice regarding the fuel consumption. We currently have a caravan set up, so are used to about 25-26mpg, the same is fine, better would be a bonus.
There are so many things to consider :whatthe:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the main things to consider are.......

1. how often and where are you going to use it ???

2. Layout is the next main concern. fixed beds, rear lounge, bunk beds, separate beds.

3. Size. really goes hand in hand with the other 2 points above or comes in as a higher if you have restrictions on storage space at home.

4. internal fixtures and fittings. oven, microwave. once again goes hand in hand with point 1 and 2 also a microwave needs mains hook up or a large battery bank and inverter.

5. external fixtures and fittings. awning, satellite, solar panels. goes hand in hand with point 1.

6. A-class or Coachbuilt. both have advantages and disadvantages but go hand in hand with points 1 and 2

above all its all down to your personal choices.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As I said, I have never been over to europe, so don't actually know how significant/insignificant it would actually be, hence the question

Nothing at all wrong with asking.

But with reasonable MHs supping at 25 mpg, lowline MHs 30 or so and the French adding the same again if you go on their toll roads, fuel makes the crossing look for free.

But you MUST go abroad, it's just so EXCITING with so much more on offer than here. And if you take my advice and go to Italy, say Garda, your heart will forever be over there.

Sep 30, 2012
WARWICKSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Tabbert ffb 660
Exp
a few hours ago
Allso number of seat belts is something we thought was important aswell as this is something we hadnt even thought about untill started to look and found on alot of older a class they wasnt there lol

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Size does matter !:Angry: When we book with DFDS our motorhome comes in the up to 10 meter booking because of the hight although its only 6.72m, then we pay for a trailer, that makes us 10.72.:Doh:

If we had a car and caravan, they let the caravan go FREE. :cry: Bob.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
most ferries allow 11mtrs for cars and caravans . mine comes in at 10mtr . . its normally cheaper than my mates m,home yet his is much shorter. 5ers rule i say.

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
We have used p and o and dfds it doesnt seem to matter that much what you put into the computer as long as they know its a motorhome!! ours is about 7m long and usually say its 6.5 and we are 3.2 high and usually say less than 3m , never had a problem, we're always late too and they just put you on the next ferry an hour later with no fuss!!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
biggest worry is payload . you need to bring home enough beer /wine etc to see you through till you go again . oh ,and have big fuel tanks .
also take lots of things from uk that you cant get or are expensive when away .
you could have a romahome and not bother but have good fuel consumption . but you might not enjoy the life .

OP
OP
clf86ha

clf86ha

Free Member
Oct 4, 2012
Hartlepool, Norh East
Funster No
MH
Autcruise Starspirit
Exp
since April 2014
biggest worry is payload . you need to bring home enough beer /wine etc to see you through till you go again . oh ,and have big fuel tanks .
also take lots of things from uk that you cant get or are expensive when away .
you could have a romahome and not bother but have good fuel consumption . but you might not enjoy the life .

I don't have that worry, as I don't drink.......I here you all gasping :whatthe:, yes we want to go to France and won't be touching any wine

A romahome definitely wouldn't do it for us ...as we like a feeling of spaciousness, and I've found I don't like the MH's with Dinette set ups, as they feel cramped to us, we much prefer the sofa and seperate table set up.
I personally love the A class for their practicallity and large lower drop down beds and living layouts, but my partner simply hates the look of them eternally (although I'm still working on him :ROFLMAO:).
We love the mohican layout, but it's 24' (nearly the maximum that would fit on our drive at 25') and heavy, so my partner wouldn't be able to drive it due to his medical licence (Diabetic) and although we don't carry much, I still doubt one could be downplated and still have viable payload.

We've found from the caravanning, that we don't like staying anywhere longer than 3 days max and really would love to wildcamp for weekends and take our main holidays touring in Europe, so I take on board what you are saying aba on what to consider and can't wait to see the likes of garda etc hilldweller

interesting to hear they don't check adriacoral

Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back