Croatia to Italy...anyone any experience? (1 Viewer)

frankhanna

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Plotting a route homeward and some one suggested a ferry from Zodar to Ancona in Italy.

Anyone out there ever done it?

If so any advice?

Frank

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I find the East Coast of Italy to be rather boring. I'd stick with the road up through Slovenia. I don't think the ferry will save you much travel time and it will be expensive.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We took the overnight ferry from Ancona to Spilt (and back again) a few years ago.

It was quite expensive. The cabins were also very expensive, on top of the actual crossing price.

All the chairs in the lounges had metal bars and obstructions on them to discourage people from sleeping there, so as to make you take a cabin.
The food, both dinner and breakfast, was also horrible. The crew were not very helpful either.

The actual ferry we were on going back to Ancona was one that I had worked on as a junior officer many years previously.
The safety gear was in very poor condition, particularly the lifeboats which had the "Harbour Pins" seized in position. Like this is would be near impossible to launch the lifeboats without freeing these pins, and it showed the boats had not been launched or tested for quite some time.

Unless you were specifically heading to somewhere in Italy, hence not wanting to drive the long way round, I would give it a miss.

:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I lived in Croatia for 5 years and only ever took the ferry just once, after that we drove from Split up the coast road and into Italy, so did all my local friends too ::bigsmile:

The coastal road is a fantastic trip, just watch out for some of the drivers as I'm sure they found their licences under a rock somewhere and have absolutely no road sense at all :Eeek:

Enjoy the trip as its a fantastic journey and lots to see, with plenty of places to pull over for a quick look at the wonderful views :Cool:

:Cool:Just post a few piccy's when your done so that we can drool and get jealous of your journey and adventures :thumb::thumb:

Safe motorhoming :thumb::thumb:

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Took ferry from Split to Ancona last summer cost 220euro for 7meter plus van, on boarding found the allocated AIR seats in very noisy airless room decided to pay extra 50euros for a cabin with shower, very good move in our opinion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back