Croatia Bosnia and Serbia advice? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are considering driving directly south from Budapest through Croatia Bosnia (a little bit of Serbia) to Sarajevo to Dubrovnik where we would then drive up the coast via Split etc through Slovenia into Italy. We aim to be around Venice by Xmas.
Does this sound do-able?
Are there any massive mountain ranges we'd he crossing and would this be OK in Nov and Dec?
We got a bit caught out in the Polish Tetra mountains with the plummeting temperatures and poorer roads and want to be a bit more savvy now. It's hard to gauge the height of the roads from Google map, satnav or the large Europe book road map. Generally in the whole region temperatures are mild right now.
I also wonder if there are any other considerations? We understand about the insurance issues. I just read wild camping is illegal in Croatia but we have found just enough campsites that are open now.
Any general as well as specific advice about this route would be much appreciated .

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Friends are just coming back from that route. They said many of the campsites which their book/information said would be open, were not open. But they never had much problem finding somewhere else to stay. That's the only thing I can offer up. They've had a great time and are planning another trip there.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
That's great thank you .
We have found the same all round this area

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
We did this route in May and June. Fascinating countries, as said in your other post not touristy at all. However so much to see and so many amazing roads to drive it deserves to be seen in better weather. We visited Tara Gorge and mountain reserves. Snow had just cleared at end of May on the high pass.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As friendly and welcoming as the Croatian border guards are, the Bosnia Hand Herzegovina guards can be a bit ummmm offish..
Your standard insurance policy will not cover you for Bosnia leg and you need a green card
Croatia is wonderful though can be a tad expensive
The west coast of Croatia was nicknamed the wow coast by my son.. Every corner he took led to another WOW ! view :)
Debrovnik is little short of amazing ( especially at night when all the entertainment is in full flow )

Split is ok but we found it very crowded and very touristy

Sibenik has a huge camp site that is part of a 4 hotel complex.
Although not cheap, the site is fantastic and you are free to use all the hotel facilities such as shows and restaurants should you wish to.. WiFi however is PAYG

Been a couple of times and we always look forward to returning

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back