Croatia and the journey from hell. (1 Viewer)

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Sailed Dover To Calais On The 30Th July And Drove 3 Hours Into Belgium. 8.30 Start And Got Down To Stuttgart Messe Aires.We Left Stuttgart 8.00 Heading For Rossegge In Austria,Approx 350 Miles And 7 Hours According To The Satnav. We Got To Munich Rather Quickly, Then It Was Stop Start For Over 200 Miles. Think Every German Was Migrating South For Warmer Climes, The Services Were Absolutely Crammed. We Stopped For Fuel And Had Only Travelled 15 Miles Or So When The Wife could Smell Diesel, The Fuel Filters Housing Had Started To Leak,,I'd Changed The Filter A Few Weeks Ago Using Correct Tools And torques And It Had Covered Just 1000 Miles. Luckily I Had Brought The Spare Housing After Hearing All The Problems Other Owners Have Had. A Quick 10 Minute Change And Off Again To Join The Que. 11 Hours Later We Arrived At Camping Rosegge.

Camping Rosegge Is A Nice Easy Stop Over In South austria, Lovel Bar And Restaurant.
Nice Easy Run Down Through Slovenia, Quick Stop At A Spar Supermarket To Refill With Beer.
At The Toll Booth We Handed Our Credit Card Over Only To Get "Niet Cash",

On Arriving In Croatia We Again Hit The Traffic Jams,,, Que Que And More Queing.
Well We Finally Arrived At Camping Sirena, Not A Bad Site, We're On The Superior Mare Pitches, But It Is Very Hot.Too Hot Really, Can't Wait To Move On To Venice Then Swiss.
I Don't Think It's Worth The Hassle Of The Poor German And Austrian Motorways, I Thought Ours Were Bad InThe UK .

Reactions: Jim

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Germany is the gateway from east to west and as such is inundated with the movement of freight along it's road system.

They do have more motorway roads than anyone else, but there is just too much foreign traffic.

They are working hard to convert their 2 lane Autobahns to 3 lane but there are so many of them it is a huge task.

They are now working on a toll system due to come in in October this year, for all foreign vehicles, which at the very least should provide more income for upgrades.

I can remember back in the 60's and 70's when the Autobahns were an absolute joy.

:cooler:

Reactions: f6c

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hate driving in Germany especially Autobahns too fast too aggressive to many traffic jams and far too many concrete sections.
Came through last Sunday and even on the motorbike took hours and hours some jams were 20 miles long at a total standstill.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Drove through Germany in 1979 and often wondered what the two lanes would be like now, yes concrete roads, very tiring. I hate the drive up round Leeds for the same reason, too bloody noisy.

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
Croatia in august is a no no far to busy and to hot best to go in sept Oct or may and June a very popular country for the Germans. We were swimming in the sea a few days before November (y)
Jeff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back