Croatia - A culinary adventure. There and back in 3 weeks (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
After a long, hot days driving, we've arrived in Thann.
The free Aire (Campercontact 1356) which is right beside the river.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After being stuck in the van all day it was great to stretch our legs, so we took a short stroll along the river bank and found ourselves in a riverside cafe.

As I write this we're sat in the sun, talking about our jouney tomorrow which takes us through Switzerland to Italy.

We're raising a glass to toast Phil @Scout 's good health.

Cheers !

image.jpeg

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
A vote for the Plivica Falls. We have spent 4 weeks in Balkans this year, food has been wholesome rather than cordon blue, lots of veal soup and roast lamb.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A vote for the Plivica Falls. We have spent 4 weeks in Balkans this year, food has been wholesome rather than cordon blue, lots of veal soup and roast lamb.
Sounds great thank you !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The misnavigation, if there is such a word, started to manifest itself in France, so I blame the wine and cheese. :)
As a precaution, we've just stocked up on French cheese and a couple of bottles of Bordeaux, so hopefully should not suffer the same problem.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Do let us know how you get on with the camping as like you we prefer not to use sites.
I had an idea - I'm going to give every campsite we visit a 'Lenny' rating of 5 - 1.

Campsites will lose one mark for;

High wire fence (concentration camp style)

False grass or bamboo attached to fence - causing claustrophobia

Noisy kids or 'chavs'

No view from pitches

Overcharging

Impossible entry / exit as per Sorrento

Last edited by a moderator:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Sorry, I can be a bit pedantic! Just following your thread with interest and loving it.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry, I can be a bit pedantic! Just following your thread with interest and loving it.
I LOVE pedantic !
I'd like to appoint you as official adjudicator when we start playing 'Guess The Bill'
There's been a lot of cheating, multiple guesses and guesses by pets etc on previous trips.
Are you up for the challenge ?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Now that is a challenge - I have seen what happens :)
I will try and keep an eye on them.
By the way, just enjoying a lovely piece of blue aged local cheddar ( newly opened The Bristol Cheesemonger) and a 2013 Bourgogne both birthday present from son. Hope you enjoy yours as much.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
By the way, just enjoying a lovely piece of blue aged local cheddar ( newly opened The Bristol Cheesemonger) and a 2013 Bourgogne both birthday present from son. Hope you enjoy yours as much.
Before you drink your Bourgogne wine you should look up the history on the French Dukes who share that name.
Seriously wealthy !
More disposable income than Mrs C

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

You lot are so cultured on here.

I am just enjoying a few large cans of San Miguel until my chile con carne arrives(y)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You lot are so cultured on here.

I am just enjoying a few large cans of San Miguel until my chile con carne arrives(y)
You may call it 'cultutured' Chris, but as working class folks we can't afford to eat curry every night and order a new wardrobe off Amazon when we bloat out - just sayyin

Last edited by a moderator:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As a precaution, we've just stocked up on French cheese and a couple of bottles of Bordeaux, so hopefully should not suffer the same problem.
Probably best to cut off the bottom of any maps of Italy as well, just in case you find yourselves being drawn south as you scoot across the top of the country.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I had an idea - I'm going to give every campsite we visit a 'Lenny' rating of 5 - 1.

Campsites will lose one mark for;

High wire fence (concentration camp style)

False grass or bamboo attached to fence - causing claustrophobia

Noisy kids or 'chavs'

No view from pitches

Overcharging

Impossible entry / exit as per Sorrento
Love it.

How about a bonus of minus 10 for grumpy wardens, mind you it will be very hard to find any outside of the UK.:D

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Robert & Mrs C,

We liked Istria, and the islands of Krk and Pag. The scenery was absolutely beautiful, and all the ACSI sites we stayed at were very pleasant, and mostly €17 per night. Camping Krk has to be the most modern of them all, with even a scalding hot shower hose facility in the toilet sluce area. Boy did that get rid of some right scaly gunge from the cassette innards. :LOL:

If matey at the toll entrance to the Island bridge asks what weight you are, say anything less than 3.5t, otherwise he'll charge you the upper toll fee. ;)

We didn't rate Split at all :( and that is as far down as we went, leaving the rest for another visit.

If you like a nice dark beer Robert, the Tomislav is reeeeeeeally good, or the Amber, which is lighter in colour and strength. Both are bottled beers. I'm not keen on their lager type draught beers.

I hope you have as enjoyable time in Croatia, as Rita and I did. We loved it.

Safe travels,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert & Mrs C,

We liked Istria, and the islands of Krk and Pag. The scenery was absolutely beautiful, and all the ACSI sites we stayed at were very pleasant, and mostly €17 per night. Camping Krk has to be the most modern of them all, with even a scalding hot shower hose facility in the toilet sluce area. Boy did that get rid of some right scaly gunge from the cassette innards. :LOL:

If matey at the toll entrance to the Island bridge asks what weight you are, say anything less than 3.5t, otherwise he'll charge you the upper toll fee. ;)

We didn't rate Split at all :( and that is as far down as we went, leaving the rest for another visit.

If you like a nice dark beer Robert, the Tomislav is reeeeeeeally good, or the Amber, which is lighter in colour and strength. Both are bottled beers. I'm not keen on their lager type draught beers.

I hope you have as enjoyable time in Croatia, as Rita and I did. We loved it.

Safe travels,

Thanks Jock
Ken is added to our list
And maybe Pag too if we have time
Shall give the beer a try too - thanks !

How did you get to Pag ? Via Zadar of by ferry

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I LOVE pedantic !
I'd like to appoint you as official adjudicator when we start playing 'Guess The Bill'
There's been a lot of cheating, multiple guesses and guesses by pets etc on previous trips.
Are you up for the challenge ?

oiy

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks Jock
Ken is added to our list
And maybe Pag too if we have time
Shall give the beer a try too - thanks !

How did you get to Pag ? Via Zadar of by ferry
Initially on the Zadar road, then turned off and headed for Novalja.

The best meal we had during our time in Croatia, was seafood risottos from this wee place in Novalja.
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Cheers,

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think Mr and Mrs C had better extend their holiday, so much to see (and eat)!

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
We've arrived at our first stop
(Campercontact 23454) at a free Aire in Marcoing France
We arrived as the sun began to set
View attachment 121608

Dinner tonight was 'en van'
Some Lamb Chops, accompanied by a Bulgar Wheat salad, which contained a medley of diced veggies that we picked from the garden before leaving
View attachment 121609

The meal was washed down with a nice bottle of French red wine that we discovered on our last trip.
Tomorrow we head South towards Switzerland
Cracking little aire just far enough from Calais on a late afternoon train.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Today we left France and headed towards Switzerland.

image.jpeg

Border formalities were quick and easy and we paid €25 for 10 x 1 day passes to use any of Switzerlands roads. Far cheaper than spending €75 each way using the Mont Blanc tunnel.

The scenery as we passed through Switzerland was breathtaking, with many beautiful lakes and glacier fed rivers.

We soon arrived in Italy and used the Autostrada toll motorway to take us towards our overnight stop in Palazzolo sull'Oglio (Campercontact 13157) which is located in a picture book town with its romantic towers...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And a historic Roman bridge
image.jpeg

We arrived in time for a late lunch of cheese and wine, which we enjoyed under the dappled shade along the river bank.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Afterwards we strolled along the river bank into town .....
image.jpeg

And as if by magic, stumbled across an ice cream parlour - infact I believe that it was the ice cream parlour that found me.
image.jpeg

After careful consideration I chose a scoop of Cream and Marscepone, a little bit of heaven in a tub.
image.jpeg

Dinner tonight is al fresco, under the stars. A bowl of pasta, bathed in a Wild Boar ragu, accompanied by a bottle of full bodied red wine.

image.jpeg

Tomorrow is another early start and a long drive, but we will finally arrive in Croatia!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Border formalities were quick and easy and we paid €25 for 10 x 1 day passes to use any of Switzerlands roads. Far cheaper than spending €75 each way using the Mont Blanc tunnel.
Call me sceptical if you like Robert, but that nice Carthago of yours looks suspiciously more than 3.5T. ;)

At Basel, we had to pay CHF 32 for an annual 10 day pass, for a MH over 3.5T. That was the cheapest way to do it for us.

Cheers,

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Call me sceptical if you like Robert, but that nice Carthago of yours looks suspiciously more than 3.5T. ;)

At Basel, we had to pay CHF 32 for an annual 10 day pass, for a MH over 3.5T. That was the cheapest way to do it for us.

Cheers,

That's strange Jock because I handed the lady behind the counter my V5 and she told me the price.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The 10 x 1 day passes that Robert bought, which last a year, are only available for vehicles over 3.5t. We bought them earlier in the year. Only used 2 days so far, one day out to Italy and one day back. Still cheaper than French tolls though

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
The 10 x 1 day passes that Robert bought, which last a year, are only available for vehicles over 3.5t. We bought them earlier in the year. Only used 2 days so far, one day out to Italy and one day back. Still cheaper than French tolls though
I know Peter, I've got one myself, date stamped 16/04/2016. A Wohnmotorwagen @ +3500kgs is CHF 32.50, as is a caravan, or a 4 x 4, if over 3500kgs.

It was obviously Robert's good charm which distracted the Swiss Border Official, at the time. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
nice ice(y):cool: