LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Pip Squeaks As some of you know I have a Autotrail Cheyenne 840D, and those who didn’t know now.

The MH is carpeted with a light coloured beige carpet in the bedroom and the walk through and the toilet, all have removable carpets leaving a wood type laminated flooring which is easy to keep clean, but the lounge and the kitchen has fixed carpet which must of been laid down before the fixtures and fittings.

What I want to do is have a removable carpet like the rest of the MH. I don’t want to remove the original but I want some company to supply and fit a hard wearing carpet over the original with the carpet holding pop studs at the corners and the edges taped like the rest of the MH. I thought my local carpet supplier could sort that out but they didn’t want to know. They said contact a van converter fitter.

I have tried loose carpets but they creep as though they are trying to escape the MH, and the solutions for stopping that happening does not seem to work very well so.

Does anyone know of a company in Hampshire which could do this for me.
Has anybody had this done and got a ball park figure for the work done.

Many Thanks Tony

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I saw on here a short time ago about gel-backed carpets. These do not appear to slide about.
Another answer, also from here, take your 'fixed' carpets to the carpet store and copy them for size and perhaps cut them out when you get home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'd be interested to hear about the same thing as our carpets creep like crazy,making me crazy!:mad:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The reason a carpet laid on top of another carpet moves in a specific direction is a result of the pile direction, less resistance in one direction than the other. A good carpet fitter checks this when laying a carpet as there is a recommended direction for each location.

Anyway, would guess the reason your local retailer isn't interested is the work involved in cutting and fitting the new carpet which would then have to be taken away for binding, probably at another commercial floorcovering company, for it then to be brought back and punched for fitment of the pop studs unless the binding company could do this at same time.

Your only cost effective solution may be to buy a carpet remnant, cut to shape yourself and then get it bound (and punched?) at a local carpet binder. You'd then need to screw the other part of the stud fittings through the existing carpet to the floor.

As an alternative you may want to carefully cut and remove the fixed carpet to use as a template as mentioned by Rosalan.

We too have an Auto-trail with the light beige carpets that were continually getting paw prints all over them from the dog. So, we lifted ours (store them rolled up) and removed the pop stud fittings and replaced them with self-fitted carpet tiles. Much harder wearing which can be lifted for cleaning even washed under a tap if required.

If you do go down the road of fitting another carpet on top of the existing one the existing one will wear much quicker than normal and may not be in an acceptable condition if you were subsequently looking to sell on in the future.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If you do go down the road of fitting another carpet on top of the existing one the existing one will wear much quicker than normal and may not be in an acceptable condition if you were subsequently looking to sell on in the future.
I thought by laying a rug over the carpet you were protecting it not wearing it out quicker than normal?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I thought by laying a rug over the carpet you were protecting it not wearing it out quicker than normal?
A rug tends to move whereas a "fitted" carpet won't. The pile underneath doesn't then spring back (or so I was told). A rug protects from dirt and heel wear if in front of a chair

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Our Autotrail had removable carpets fitted. We removed them and rolled and stored them (as the previous owner must have done as they are pristine). We bought a couple of cheap runners from tescos and as they are rubber backed they tend to stay where they are put and do the job. They are machine washable too.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
We have dogs and when we got this van they had put a brand new full set of white long pile mats in, looked wonderfull a look that would have lasted 5 minutes at a dog show, they are in the loft ready for when we sell it and we now have dirt trapper mats throughout, they are brilliant just put them in the washing machine plus they are non slip, we tried the cheap dirt trapper look alikes and they no good and do not last, Dirt trappers are not cheap but they last a long time and reamain as good as new after many washes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd be tempted to try to cut out the original carpet and then use it as a template to get a new one made, in 2 sections ideally so you can have the kitchen one down, or not, as you wish. The chances are that under the carpet there's already laminate flooring anyway so you could then just use some rugs if you wanted.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We have our Autotrail carpets at home and use a couple of cheap runners. But are considering getting "Flotex" which will cost £200, BUT feel good and last and NOT move. Cut to fit. It comes in 2 mtr rolls.
Mitch. In Cartagena, Spain.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We have our Autotrail carpets at home and use a couple of cheap runners. But are considering getting "Flotex" which will cost £200, BUT feel good and last and NOT move. Cut to fit. It comes in 2 mtr rolls.
Mitch. In Cartagena, Spain.

It also comes in tile format which may reduce wastage.
Recommended fitting is to use adhesive for both rolls and tiles which would leave a bit of a mess if lifting at a later stage.
Great stuff though and relatively easy to cut and fit.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I hope your not linking that description to any Funsters? :D

Errrrm........ If the cap fits :D2

My friend in my time I've minded a door or two where your words would have meant a sharp exit..... through the window. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Ohhhh what fun. But not with the funsters.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back