cree torch (2 Viewers)

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
The problem with many of these torches is that they are too bright for some uses. I often just want a dim light to find something in my van not a search light that illuminates the whole site.
The NiteCore P16 has 4 illumination levels, just press the large button on the side to scroll throu

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Almost all the small ones that links given to have at least 3 modes =full brightness -power save mode=duller and flash mode --all you do is press button on the rear to turn on and off then simply touch the button to change mode IE not a full press :xThumb: Some have 5 modes :xgrin:
terry

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
It also has Strobe, SOS and location beacon functions giving a total of 7 :xrofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Must admit, the Cree has been an absolute revelation to me.. The only down side to my two is that they have an orange translucent bit that emits enough light to dazzle and take away from where I am looking !

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The problem with many of these torches is that they are too bright for some uses. I often just want a dim light to find something in my van not a search light that illuminates the whole site.

I am still deciding which one so would be interested in which ones you found too be bright.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I am still deciding which one so would be interested in which ones you found too be bright.

What do you want to use the torch for? Are you looking for a torch for use in your van and for walking to the shower block at night or do you want something that will double as a spare landing light for the local airport? I use my £2 ones far more than the bigger, brighter ones. I also have a big torch with D batteries for blinding inquisitive locals who take too much interest in our van or signalling friends up in the ISS.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
All of the above but I don't want another bloody great maglight, I don't want to hit anyone with it, just general use plus the occasional search for the dog on the beach. Seems to me the Led Lenser P7.2 is the best, powerful but has a low power setting.
Just wondered if you had used any that you found too powerful so I could avoid them

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have a 7 and can't get it dim enough for most of my needs; it is too bright to read with at night but it would be good for finding dogs on the beach. Maybe the 7.2 low setting is dim enough.

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
All of the above but I don't want another bloody great maglight, I don't want to hit anyone with it, just general use plus the occasional search for the dog on the beach. Seems to me the Led Lenser P7.2 is the best, powerful but has a low power setting.
Just wondered if you had used any that you found too powerful so I could avoid them
The P16 is less than 6" long and the lowest light setting is 1 lumen at this setting the standard battery will last 520 hours

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I have followed this post with interest noting how some of you have bought several torches over the years. Now it got me wondering, apart from the obvious use of lighting a path what other use do you have that requires such quantities of torches? Is there a secret fetishism about which I know nothing? I have seen mention of lights being transmitted for over 250 metres. Now I've got quite a long stride but nothing that needs a beam of such proportions. Please enlighten (excuse the pun) me.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The weird inside me that makes me a motorhomer also extends to torches ...................... :xsurprised:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Boys and toys :xgrin: :xThumb:
As I said I have bought and given away lots --I do mostly give away the under £3 ones and keep the tenner ones :DMust admit though I am not paying 50/100 quid for a torch that in 9 out of 10 that I have tried (and I have tried lots:xwink:)does not outshine the 3 quid ones and when/if I find one that outshines the 3 quid ones then I bring out the under a tenner ones with the 3.7 v battery to blow them away :xgrin:
If anyone wants to bring there £100 P16's I am up for a shining challenge against one of my tenner ones :xgrin:that's if it does not get done by the £2 ones :xgrin::xgrin:
terry

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
As I said I have bought and given away lots --I do mostly give away the under £3 ones and keep the tenner ones :DMust admit though I am not paying 50/100 quid for a torch that in 9 out of 10 that I have tried (and I have tried lots:xwink:)does not outshine the 3 quid ones and when/if I find one that outshines the 3 quid ones then I bring out the under a tenner ones with the 3.7 v battery to blow them away :xgrin:
If anyone wants to bring there £100 P16's I am up for a shining challenge against one of my tenner ones :xgrin:that's if it does not get done by the £2 ones :xgrin::xgrin:
terry

We have a new rally challenge
Just the ticket to brighten up a drunken rally evening
Health and safety is paramount so bring your own protective eyewear

image.jpg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Quite right that's when the sniper gets you ! :xsurprised:

I'm struggling with the vision of loads of people wearing welding goggles, at night, playing with torches. :xeek:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have followed this post with interest noting how some of you have bought several torches over the years. Now it got me wondering, apart from the obvious use of lighting a path what other use do you have that requires such quantities of torches? Is there a secret fetishism about which I know nothing? I have seen mention of lights being transmitted for over 250 metres. Now I've got quite a long stride but nothing that needs a beam of such proportions. Please enlighten (excuse the pun) me.

Well, there are the small £2.50 (were £2.00) torches for general uses, finding things in the MH at night, going to the shower block etc. We have 3 in the van - one for me, one for Mrs & one for boy 2. Broken Link Removed

Then there are the LED Lenser 7 (£30-40) and knock offs (£10) for illuminating campsite signs or spotlighting deer in the next county (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001GROCFU/?tag=mhf04-21

And the one that I used the most for out door work, the head torch; we spend lots of time sitting outside, playing about with bbqs, sipping wine and watching the stars. The head torch allows both hands to be free for holding a bottle and a glass without spilling too much: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004M3DO0Y/?tag=mhf04-21

I've also got a couple of torches with D batteries but they are rarely used.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Quite right that's when the sniper gets you ! :xsurprised:

I'm struggling with the vision of loads of people wearing welding goggles, at night, playing with torches. :xeek:

I'm struggling with the vision of what they will be doing with the other hand that's not holding the torch!:xlaugh:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
From Thursday 18th, Aldi have a 10W Cree led torch for sale at £19.99

Comes with a diffuser allowing you to use it for reading.

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
terry

I look forward to seeing you in a dark field real soon

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision

View attachment 49709
I thought it was just us that played this:xrofl:.......after reading this thread though I reckon we need some new torches:xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back