Credit card use in France

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Movinon, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Movinon

Movinon Funster

I have acquired a Barclaycard since I last travelled in France and am planning to use this for fuel and aires/campsites in France when necessary. As I need to know this is OK before I travel, has anyone had a Barclaycard rejected for such use?

2. laneside

laneside Funster

We have never had a problem with Barclaycard in France but I am afraid you will not get very far paying for aires without euros

3. Movinon

Movinon Funster

Thank you Laneside. Paying with euros is not a problem - I am more concerned about access to aires which are card operated

• Like Like x 1
  4. nelly

nelly Funster

We encountered several aires that had been changed to card only payment this summer. We did not have a problem using our card but it was not Barclaycard but i am sure that would be fine

Nelly

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

We was going to get a Caxton card, filled in all on line. Then got an email saying they need passport and utility bills. I am the one giving them money ! So have given it a miss and hope our credit cards work in France at aires etc.

6. laneside

laneside Funster

Sorry you are quite correct I forgot we came across a couple of aires earlier this year with new barrier entry or in some cases barrier exit where it was pay by card and yes our Barclaycard worked

7. peter marshall

peter marshall

We got a Cash Card from the Co.op travel, loaded up with Euro's no charge when used also it comes of at the same rate as going on, there are others as well, we used it in Portugal Spain & France with no prob's. Pete

P

• Like Like x 1
  8. peter marshall

peter marshall

Ps We also take Euros just incase there is a prob.

9. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Why blame Caxton, it's probably more to do with money laundering regulations?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

It just sounded strange to me, thought better safe then sorry

11. Timetraveller

Timetraveller Funster

Used Caxton all over Europe for the last 3 years with no problem, including aires, in fact I wouldn't be without it now.

• Like Like x 2
  12. chaser

chaser Funster

We have http://www.mytravelcash.com/LANDING...repaid-card/?refcode=msmwstd0013&offer=mtcftd
    Can't remember them wanting passport or anything, and if you sign up now they give you an extra £12, not as good rate as Caxton but you get one per cent back on all uses , some tolls and auto petrol pumps won't take it but otherwise no probs

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

In my limited experience of French campsites, they like the feel of cash.
    Barclaycard will be fine at petrol stations, supermarkets etc, but let Barclaycard know you intend to use it outside of the UK and approx dates.

14. MuddyPuddle

MuddyPuddle Funster

Also be aware that if you use the card at unmanned fuel stations they will probably earmark a substantial amount on your card irrespective of how much you spend - this will reduce the amount of available credit you have on the card till the transaction is processed by the card issuer and the true amount debited ( could be 2+ days)

15. Goronwy

Goronwy

Best credit card to use in Europe is Halifax Clarity card,no charges for using it, also consider getting Fair FX card which you can preload,I use FairFX for all purchases at motorway and other fuel stations,for security reasons.

• Like Like x 5
  16. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Halifax Clarity....... absolutely number 1 card to use in Europe.......(y)

• Like Like x 1
  17. chaser

chaser Funster

Heard this many times but do you have to have another Halifax account or something to get one as they never show up on here http://www.moneysupermarket.com/prepaid-cards/euros/?goal=PPC_TRAVELCARDEURO

18. Goronwy

Goronwy

I found out about clarity card and Fair FX through Martin Lewis Moneysaving expert .com.
    You don't need to have an account with Halifax to get Clarity card.

• Like Like x 1
  19. lou020

lou020 Funster

Same here,wouldn't be without it,,,,but it won't work in unmanned 24h fuel stations or toll booths, I use Santander zero card for them, no charges whatsoever..

20. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Every single time you use Barclaycard in Europe you will pay a foreign transaction charge for each transaction which will be about £1 plus you will get a poor conversion rate. After a holiday you would be astounded to find out the total of these charges, depending on the length of your trip will depend on what you pay but suppose you use the card twice a day for 14days - £28.00. plus the markup because of the poor exchange rate.

Best advice is don't use any credit card unless you have to. Get a debit card that does not charge for foreign transactions and gives a decent exchange rate (N&P come to mind).

Our first long trip was for three months which cost us dear, several hundred pounds in charges and, so now we use N&P's debit card for all transactions. No fees for purchases to ATM withdrawals whatsoever.

I would read your terms and conditions on Barclaycard vary carefully.

If you didn't have the money available up front, rather than use the Barclaycard, for transactions abroad you could take a cash advance/transfer to your UK bank account. (Providing its an account that does not charge a forieign transaction fee).There would only be one transfer fee, £3% I believe and you would pay not interest n the advance for I think 12 months. On the other hand you could request an arranged overdraft from you non fee changing UK account which would be cheaper than Barclaycard.

Whatever you do, have a great time.

• Like Like x 1