Credit Card tips

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by Phoenix, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Read Only Funster

Extract from American web rvtravel.com

"CREDIT CARD PEACE OF MIND
    Here are two simple tips I use to add security to my credit cards.
    First, on the signature block on the back, I print "CHECK ID"
    Second, I memorize the three digit number at the end of the signature block (You CAN remember three numbers, can't you?) and then I scratch them off the card.
    This way I don't have to worry when I surrender my card at a resturant or crafts booth if the clerk is copying more than just the account number, and if my card is ever stolen, the usefullness will be much reduced without that security code"

Any further tips from our readers?
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  2. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Chris,

That's a top tip.

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Credit Card Tip..

When filling up at the truck Deisel pumps here and abroad you will often be asked to leave a card before you fill up. Truckers are more often than not leaving just a fuel card but Joe Motorhomer often leaves a credit card! Don't leave a valid credit card with them, its too easily cloned. I have an old expired company credit card that I leave, it must be two years out of date now but it has never been spotted. Then when I return after filling up, they pick up the card I left, but then I wave my proper card and swap. Never fails.

Fuels stops are a common place for fraudsters to steal card details. Top Tip. Don't let your card out of your sight.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Credit card

Hi

When the signature was the "form of checking", writing in the words "ask me for ID" was a fairly good one, and it was something I used to do. The chip and pin element now means there is no need for the cashier to check.

As for removing the last three digits on the back - good idea in theory if you use the card online etc etc. If you tried to use it in a shop - assuming the chip and pin was not working, there is a strong possibility a cashier would think the card had been purposely defaced by a criminal and could withdraw the card.

Before everyone takes the tip, please check with your bank.

I seem to recall, from when I started using "ask for ID" that there is some legal complication there, as your signature is required on the card.

Russell

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Russell, I deface my cards and removed the last digits. I find it increasingly rare that the retailer actually touches a card these days, never mind look at it. In many places now you place the card in and retrieve it from the reader yourself. :Smile:

6. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Chip n Pin

Very true Jim. I suppose if the retailer does not handle the card, and relies on the PIN only for authorisation, then the retailers responsibility is removed when checking authorisation.

I have worked in a bank and also worked on trains. I used to thoroughly examine all cards - particularly on the trains as people knew that you were not "on line" to verify them.

I still captured a lot of stolen cards though. £50 reward at the time, too!

Every little helps

Russell

7. Camperian

Camperian Read Only Funster

£50 reward?

They used to deduct income tax if I remember:Sad:

Ian
    Three Green