sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
my radio is crap for reception, Autotrail Apache 634, is there any way of putting a booster aerial on it ? i have read the aerial goes in to the mirror , is this true ? did not want to drill the body of the van, is there another way to get a better signal ?

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
my radio is crap for reception, Autotrail Apache 634, is there any way of putting a booster aerial on it ? i have read the aerial goes in to the mirror , is this true ? did not want to drill the body of the van, is there another way to get a better signal ?
i have the same problem on my boxer :(

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
I have spent ÂŁ100s on this . the local electrical experts tried 2 or 3 aerials , in the end they got to the bottom of it. shit wiring by GMC of the reversing camera and the TV connection plus inherent VAN design. Radio (blaupunkt) now works better but not as good as he ford transit .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
i bet you can get 3 different Radio 3's and Classic FM , even when you are in Tunnel.. how does that work . All the shit channels can be got anywhere , but something you want , not a chance

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I thought I read somewhere that some aerials simply hadn't been reconnected when the vehicle, and it would have been a coachbuilt, was ermm... built. As far as I am aware the aerial on the Ducato is in the nearside mirror although I've never actually checked the wiring run in the doorframe.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the windscreen aerials, where a thin element is bonded to a vinyl sticker work well if you use a decent one and install it correctly

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
I fitted a blaupunkt windscreen aerial to my previous motorhome and got excellent reception . Very easy to fit as cables can go through behind glove box and behind windscreen trim.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I fitted a new radio in mine as I was not getting a steady reception on the move and it was then that I found that there was an extension aerial lead that wasn't connected, but I did follow the lead trail to make sure it actually went to the aerial and all was good after that.

It's a pain following the lead trail but it's the only way you'll know...

Good luck

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I also have a 634. The radio unit fitted in 2012 is pretty poor but I don't use it often enough to justify replacing it. However I did improve matters by getting a local audio electrician to fit an external (wing mounted) aerial.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We had a 2012 Tracker and the radio/entertainment system was pretty useless in that.

Tried lots of fixes but in the end just ignored it. It really was a waste of money. :(

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you happen to have a solar panel a very good position for a radio aerial (the best possible) is mounted on the corner of the panel frame. Bring the aerial coax indoors through the same place as the panel wiring. Not easy to do but provides brilliant reception.

Nov 23, 2015
cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
IH630RL
Exp
10 years
bought a amplifier booster off flea bay a couple of weeks ago ÂŁ4.95 .fitted and it is 90% better (autotrail comanche ).

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I've had a snooper 9020 fitted to my new adria sonic, the radio reception was crap so it went back in and they fitted an Ariel to th radiator housing under the bonnet, still not perfect so it's going in again, probably end up with a coat hanger on the roof,

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have a dashcam try the radio with it turned off. interference from my eBay dashcam caused poor radio reception in our MH.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I would second what @John Laidler said.
My cheap Chinese dash cam made my radio reception terrible.
When it stopped working properly I replaced it with a road hawk dash cam. Quality kit but it still interferes with radio.
Now considering a hard wire kit for dash cam but not sure if it will be any better.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
The RoadHawk's chinese too ;)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
hi.
Would a "Ground Plane?" make it any better? In CB days, whatever a "Ground Plane is/was,improved the set up for getting out,would it do the same in reverse. Don't ask me,i know nothing........
Tea Bag

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
hi.
Would a "Ground Plane?" make it any better? In CB days, whatever a "Ground Plane is/was,improved the set up for getting out,would it do the same in reverse. Don't ask me,i know nothing........
Tea Bag
Yes it would and it does. Normally earthing the aerial base to bodywork constitutes a ground plane - not helpful with GRP bodywork of course. Long before sorting out a ground plane getting the aerial as high as possible and clear of shielding by adjacent bodywork is more important.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The RoadHawk's chinese too ;)

My understanding is it`s made in China to UK design spec and UK software.
It is certainly a big improvement to my ÂŁ25 cheapy that stopped recording recently.
But the Roadhawk does still cause radio interference. I may try the hard wire kit but no idea if that will eliminate interference ?

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Quote ,"]aaahhhh - well, guess i fill the glove box with cd,s

You are lucky that you can yous the cd's our New Elddis has a DAB radio in it, in my opinion that stands for "Dam Awful Bloody Radio"
Useless thing requires re tuning every few miles !! drives me nuts, Luckily it has a usb connection so i can use either my phone or Iplayer to listen to music but you do not get any traffic updates or news,Elddis are not interested in the problem either.
Will shortly purchase a double din facia and fit an upgrade radio/cd/gps which hopefully work as it should !!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I'd third what @John Laidler said about the satnav. Mine when in for a service and hab check in the summer and I asked them to check the radio. They suggested it was the extra cables feeding the satnav and reversing camera interfering with reception. (They fitted the camera as an extra prior to delivery three years ago).

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I fitted a new DAB radio in mine (coachbuilt). Fitted a fancy amplified aerial on the roof on a big piece of stainless steel sheet to act as a ground plane.

Link Removed

Reception on DAB was dreadful, OK on FM/AM but no better than the original aerial on the front wing. Might work on a metal-bodied PVC but next to useless even with my ground plane.

So I fitted one of these inside the wardrobe - absolutely transformed the DAB reception. Clearly not intended for vehicles but worked a treat.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/fmanddabradio.html#DABdipole

Just make sure you do go for a omni-directional type like this dipole - many of the aerials meant for fixed installations on buildings are directional, not much use on a MH!

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Mine had the original Fiat cd radios fitted when I bought my mh. I wanted a better unit with DAB and also the facility to plug a memory stick in as so to stop carrying loads of cd's about.
The aerial was in the near side mirror and to be fair, the original set up was good and reception ok.
However, wanting better, I went to Autosound who are Blaupunkt dealers and bought a Stockholm model unit.
They advised to not bother with the wing mirror aerial but to fit a wing mounted aerial.
For the DAB, I needed a digital aerial and they fit one connected to a booster which fit to the windscreen.
We had issues with the steering wheel control buttons initially in that one of the skip tracks button wouldn't work but this turned out to be the steering wheel button.
Music sound is excellent.
FM radio is excellent.
DAB radio is hit & miss if I'm honest.
Depending on where I am depends on signal.
Lake District - forget it.
Norfolk forget it.
M6/M5/M1 - excellent.
Storage - excellent but 5miles down the road it doesn't get a signal.
Very frustrating but to be fair on Autosound, they did say that it was a work in progress with signal strength.
I've not had any issues with anything else on the van interfering with it so far.
I mostly use it with storing my music on memory sticks now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back