Cramer Glass Hob cover fixings

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by steveclecy, Oct 21, 2009.

1. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

I wonder if any members could assist me in sourcing the fixings for our Cramer Glass Hob cover.

We have a three burner gas hob, and on our first trip, the pan supports were placed in the wrong position, and "someone" closed the lid, putting strain on the fixings, which stripped the thread of one of them. I did try a couple of sites on the internet, the only one who replied told me that I would have to buy the complete lid to get the fixings.

I have tried to upload some pics. The second is of the damaged fixings, the first (v small) is supposed to represent the hob.

Any ideas anyone?

Steve

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

As you have nothing to loose and every thing to gain
    Think about a repair
    There are many products out there that you could pour into the button, screw in the bolt and allow to set, efectifly re threading the fitting. remove bolt and re fit to lid
    Geo

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  3. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Try these people Fasteners and Fixings :: Moss Plastic Parts :: Product Catalogue

They do every type of plastic screw and gizmo you can think of. They also are happy to send you out a few free samples as well, which might get your cooker fixed for nowt!!!:Wink: :thumb:

Anyone else should also bookmark this site as they do all kinds of latches, catches, hinges etc etc etc used on motorhomes and caravan all over the world:thumb:

If you cant find exactly the part your after why dont you but a couple of slightly smaller nuts bolts and washers and drill a hole through the plastic broken bit and use it as a spacer to protect the glass??:Wink:

4. steveclecy

This last suggestion has merit. The "plastic" bit is in fact metal. scratched as I was trying to grip it to get the threaded machine screw to tighten. I have had a negative reply from O'Leary Motorhomes, so as the first reply states, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I will look for some material to pour in and set - perhaps an epoxy resin. If that fails, I may drill out and use another fixing through it. The only problem with that is I would prefer something that was smooth or rounded to avoid snagging things on the closed surface.

Thanks to both suggestions

Steve

5. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Fixings

Try doing a search for Polymorph Thermoplastic Granules these were once reccomended by Peter from John Cross Motorhomes looks like good stuff maybe he will be along later to put me right if I am wrong

6. tony morris

tony morris Read Only Funster

Hi steve have 2 class tops complete that I bought from o'leary m/h brand new never been used both smoked class tops complete with fixing brackets give me a call if interested on 01189413037 Tony

7. steveclecy

Thanks for the offer, and I may yet take you up, but that is the frustration, I have a perfectly serviceable glass lid, it is just the fixing that has failed.

Steve

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

whatever compound you use to 'rethread' the parts dont forget to very lightly oil the threaded bolt first or even better... a wrap of PTFE plumbers tape or you wont get them apart again.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  9. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Yes one could use that but if it gets hot it goes soft, plastic metal or plasting padding might be better and then drill and tap it.

Peter

10. big map

big map Funster Life Member

You could try using a heli-coil insert. These are easily fitted with the correct tools are stronger than the original thread and not effected by heat.
    A small engineering company may supply and even fit them for a small charge.