Cracked Shower Tray

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by grymbo, Mar 25, 2015.

1. grymbo

grymbo Read Only Funster

Hi. Let me introduce you to the current condition of my motorhome shower tray. FYI the size is 670mm x 720mm. Would be grateful for advice on replacement or repair.

Many thanks.

grymbo

Attached Files:

2. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

Hi,
    I saw this stand at the NEC show last year and they can repair trays. www.speedcoateuro.com
    I have no interests in them and remember they seemed expensive but may be just what you need.
    Robert. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ebo

ebo Read Only Funster

Cracked shower trays appear to be a very common problem, ours cracked in several places before it was more than three years old, but long enough to be out of warranty. If yours is too difficult or costly to replace, get a quote from speedcoateuro. com we had ours done by one of their agents, cost about £350 but well worth it, a lot stronger than the original.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

One thing Ralph has done to our shower tray for Pug , the pvc is stick a piece of wood the same size underneath it. Cutting out a hole for the waste flow.
    Our particular shower tray sits flat on the floor. So in won't bow out of shape on the main area.
    But because of the drainage hole outlet being raised up on the bottom, it wasn't quite flush to the floor. Hopefully we won't have the same problem you have had now. Where it cracks around the plug hole.

But the first one he bought ( above) was too big and the wrong sort. As he bought it last year he couldn't take it back either.

6. grymbo

grymbo Read Only Funster

Hi.
    Thanks for your offer and I may take you up on it. I haven't replaced a shower tray so before I commit I'll look more closely at the set up I've got ( motorhome parked elsewhere). Not sure for example the model number of toilet I have . Also notice from the photo generated by your link there doesn't appear to be a drainage hole. Am I missing something?

7. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

:)No your right. Ralph says they usually Have two locations for your plug hole, depending on your bathroom layout. Then you drill to fit.

8. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

If you got yours out and wanted to fix it yourself you would need to back it with epoxy resin and glass fibre, but try to push the cracks together first otherwise it might look "repaired" .

9. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

That looks like the same as mine was in my Elddis van.

You will find the problem is that underneath/around the waste outlet it is unsupported, see below. I replaced mine with a Wickes high density foam acrylic topped one after I put a new marine ply floor. You can see the unsupported area. The diameter was about 6" cut thro to the insulation/blue stuff

DSC_3791.JPG

DSC_3871.JPG

10. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

@Moodybrook that's why Ralph stuck some marine ply under the shower tray , ( see previous post ) before fixing our shower tray in Pug. So the plug hole wouldn't do the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PeteH

PeteH Funster

12. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

May be a solution in a difficult fit scenario.

However, sadly it looks like another mickey mouse paper tissue thick, crackothene job. BUT, whatever floats your soapy water. :whistle::whistle:

PS Wickes domestic, as previously described tray, was if I remember correctly £49.00. I had to cut it considerably to make it fit too. Elddis had a love affair with waterproof wallpaper :confused: so I completely lined my washroom with 3mm acrylic mini tile effect sheeting.

PPS Coachbuilders UK and Foreign have cornered the market of morons and given them jobtitles of Designers and engineers. :cautious:.

Yes, I do not have a high opinion of their credentials.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  13. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

We had our shower tray fixed by Towtal, £185 and they put support under the tray so it shouldn't happen again,